Destro Warlock AoE?

I don't raid, only run heroics.

I generally do OK dps on bosses. However, I tend to be low on trash DPS (8 to 11k). I run with people who generally don't use CC, and I'm wondering what destro warlocks do for AoE these days? I usually tab target and DoT individually, but this doesn't seem optimal to me.

Thanks.

For just pure AoE, it'd be Shadowfury on cooldown and otherwise Rain of Fire, though that's hardly optimal on anything fewer than about five targets. If you really want to AoE hard, drop an Infernal. In general, though, just picking a target and doing my single-target strategy (sans Corruption, CoE, and BoD) and going one-by-one through my targets works best for me.

In general, Demo is much stronger AoE damage than Destro is, and Destro's got fairly weak overall AoE compared to BOTH other specs (Afflic has Jinx, at least). Trash DPS is pretty irrelevant anyway- and besides, it could be worse. You could be a Shadow Priest.

Use Shadowflame on cooldown, by far your best AoE ability, it's worth interrupting your Rain of Fire for. Shadowfury is slightly better DPS than Rain of Fire, but probably not worth interrupting the channeling for.

Overall Destruction is pretty bad at AoE though.

Aoe seems to have become unnecessary since cata . ROF used to put my dps through the roof. Now if I use it, I either get yelled at, or it drops my dps about 1k. I throw my dots and single target.

Deleted
    destruction is terrible in aoe atm. Rain of fire is so poor that using hellfire is better(though very inpractical). Shadowflame is your best friend. The dpc from shadowflame is significantly higher then a single tick from rain.

Usually when its less then 5 targets. I prioratize shadowflame and then spam immolate on all targets. From that point its usually single target pew pew em down.

Rain of fire only becomes worthwhile imo when its 5 or more targets you're dealing with. But the only fights i use rain of fire are pretty much just magmaw and cho gall (since you can't get in melee range to aoe so demonology is not vital).

Quote Originally Posted by dquinn16 View Post
    Aoe seems to have become unnecessary since cata . ROF used to put my dps through the roof. Now if I use it, I either get yelled at, or it drops my dps about 1k. I throw my dots and single target.
    Not really. It might not be the highest dps gain as a destro warlock. But there are stil fights where you have to use it for the sake of the encounter (magmaw larves for example). Besides quitte a few fights have some sort of aoe mechanic.
    Last edited by mmocf51ce64535; 2011-03-22 at 07:07 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Bane of Havoc -> Shadowflame > Rain of Fire

takes quite a few mobs before rain of fire is worthwhile using over immolate tabbing tho

shadowflame however is definitely worth even with just 2 mobs

I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong - but if your group isn't overgeared for the instance, then on most trash try to burn down the main target or two asap to take some of the load off the healer. Then worry about multi-target DPS. ShadowFury is still nice, in this case though, as it can stop a hit or two from each mob with its stun. Screw the meters - was more important, especially on the pug, is getting rid of some of the enemy DPS ASAP.

Of course non elites, and some other groups are meant to be aoe'd - Corborus' adds, the Troggs in Halls of Origination, etc. Use the AoE advice there. Or when your tank and healer are overgeared.

10+ Year Old Account
    Multi-DoT through tabbing works. But that's not it.

In a 4 target scenario:
    Target 1: Soulburn>Soulfire, Bane of Havoc, Immolate, Corruption, Shadowflame
    Target 2: Immolate, Corruption, Conflag
    Target 3: Immolate, Corruption
    Target 4: Immolate, Corruption > Shadowfury > Conflag > Shadowflame

is probably what I would do. Keeping up as many dots as possible.
    Lained - 60 Shaman | Lainedtv - 60 Druid | Lainedz - 60 Paladin

Quote Originally Posted by Beyz View Post
    Bane of Havoc -> Shadowflame > Rain of Fire

takes quite a few mobs before rain of fire is worthwhile using over immolate tabbing tho

shadowflame however is definitely worth even with just 2 mobs
    Shadowflame is worth it even with just 1 mob.

Infernal > Shadowfury > Shadowflame > Rain

But AoE is lacking for destro thats for sure. Its getting buffed though (RoF +25%)

Deleted
    I'm happy with destro's single target dps, im pulling around 14k dps on heroic bosses, AOE however, there is nothing of use. I can do about 7-8k AOE using shadowfury and rain of fire. I normally just resort to single target damage unless there are 6 plus mobs. Fire Mages in comparison have roughly the same single target and ridiculously higher AOE.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pretty sure hellfire is better than rain of fire.

Soulburn: soulfire - Bane of Havoc on a high HP target, Shadowfury when ur tank has them mobs nicely lined up. Immolate tab tagets and Shadowflame on CD
    Rain of fire to finish it off if theres still enough mobs left.
    when proc: soulfire!!!!
    Dont be stupid and start doing hellfire. Ive seen loadsa rogues die of mobs aoe =D them rogues, yep them rogues.....

aoe rotation is pretty much immolate spam + conflag and shadowflame on cd. it performs very well on a lot of targets with high hp
    Estás usando este software de traducción de forma incorrecta. Por favor, consulta el manual.

Thanks all! I appreciate the input (and for confirming what I suspected).

I miss the old Hyjal days of seed of corruption spam.

Deleted
    I do this.
    Havoc on the biggest badass, immolate them all, shadowflame and then RoF till dead

Ever since Blizz normalized aoe damage in Wrath warlock aoe has sucked. Which is why it's getting a buff in 4.1

Deleted
    i would suggest what most people have suggested
    bane of havoc the one that is most likely gonna die last
    immolate everything
    shadowflame
    hand out incinerates chaosbolts and conflags
    if the mobs are stationary it would be a good idea to rain of fire instead of incinerates