Deleted

HAlfus Hc - living action potion or free action potion?

We have only one Pally in our 10m twinkgroup and would like to attempt halfus hc. as we need our hop for stack reset, we have to rely on blink (our mage slacks ) or the potions. so its either free action potion http://www.wowhead.com/item=5634 or living action potion http://www.wowhead.com/item=20008

ild pick living action but most seem to use free action potion.

why? u have 1 pala, can bubble and interupt, 1 mage, blink interupt. and ontop of that. its absolutly doable to interupt even tho not using anything special. (i know cos i have been doing that), just make ppl spam their interupt at the end, someone will get it. and you shouldnt need much more then that tbh. even if you fail it doesnt really mean a raid wipe anyway

Deleted
    if your mage cannot do it, kick him. really.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    the mage should do it.
    I'm doing it on our 10m, just tell him to count to 3, 1 Roar, 2 Roar, 3 Roar -> Blink -> spam CS!

better use "good" potions tbh. 1200str/agi/int, or mana pots for healers

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Eiffeltower View Post
    do you have any idea what even a tiny tiny bit of latency can do to a mage trying his best to interrupt shadow nova ?? you try it ...

edit : yeah i catch most nova's ...but there are the occasional ones that even tho my cs hits half cast , still it doesn't get to it in time ...but then again , not a raid wipe so no matter

Deleted
    Just to answer the OP, Living Action is better since it also removes stuns, you can use it in the middle of the stunchain and interrupt without problems, while you'd need to use the Free Action Potion before his first stun lands, which could be tricky.

@ people above, good job on not answering a simple question on the first reply already.

Deleted
    The Human racial Every Man for Himself works just fine too.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Eiffeltower View Post
    its a "twinkraid" we provide it for twinks and friends whom we cant offer a raidspot in the maingroup. dont bee too elitary, seriously. some peoply like to raid with friends.

Just to answer the OP, Living Action is better since it also removes stuns, you can use it in the middle of the stunchain and interrupt without problems, while you'd need to use the Free Action Potion before his first stun lands, which could be tricky.
    thanks alot.

The Human racial Every Man for Himself works just fine too.
    wish we were alliance :-)
    Last edited by mmocaba1459261; 2011-03-23 at 11:31 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can't use Free Action Potions at level 85. I made a couple of them to test for that fight to find out that it says I am too high of a level to use it.
    I'm not so sure about the Living Action Potions though. I haven't tested those to be 100% sure but I assume they're going to end with the same result.
    With a Mage in the group you shouldn't have problems with him blinking out of the stun to interrupt the Shadow Nova as long as he is alive. Perhaps have him bind Counterspell to Blink?
    I've never done Heroic Halfus on 10 man so I'm not sure how the damage is in terms of tank damage in phase 2. You shouldn't have problems keeping the tank(s) up in phase 2 as long as they're using cooldowns correctly to keep themselves alive.

Edit: So apparently the Free Action Potions do work post-patch 4.0.6. I don't see a harm in using these if your Mage is having trouble interrupting the Shadow Nova in phase 2 but have him try to bind Counterspell to Blink first if he hasn't. If he still can't successfully interrupt the Shadow Novas in phase 2 then consider using these potions but take note that you can only use 1 per fight and that it's an overall DPS loss by using these instead of your stat potions.
    Last edited by Promethieus; 2011-03-23 at 11:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WhoAmiSc View Post
    do you have any idea what even a tiny tiny bit of latency can do to a mage trying his best to interrupt shadow nova ?? you try it ...

edit : yeah i catch most nova's ...but there are the occasional ones that even tho my cs hits half cast , still it doesn't get to it in time ...but then again , not a raid wipe so no matter
    WAT - Played mage in this fight and you have an absolute age to react and spam CS to interrupt.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kalo View Post
    wish we were alliance :-)
    Trust me, you don't. It's the first encounter ever where it's of any kind of use. Belf and Tauren all have superb racials, especially for Cho'gall etc.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Runecapemann View Post
    You can't use Free Action Potions at level 85. I made a couple of them to test for that fight to find out that it says I am too high of a level to use it.
    I'm not so sure about the Living Action Potions though. I haven't tested those to be 100% sure but I assume they're going to end with the same result.
    With a Mage in the group you shouldn't have problems with him blinking out of the stun to interrupt the Shadow Nova as long as he is alive. Perhaps have him bind Counterspell to Blink?
    I've never done Heroic Halfus on 10 man so I'm not sure how the damage is in terms of tank damage in phase 2. You shouldn't have problems keeping the tank(s) up in phase 2 as long as they're using cooldowns correctly to keep themselves alive.

Edit: So apparently the Free Action Potions do work post-patch 4.0.6. I don't see a harm in using these if your Mage is having trouble interrupting the Shadow Nova in phase 2 but have him try to bind Counterspell to Blink first if he hasn't. If he still can't successfully interrupt the Shadow Novas in phase 2 then consider using these potions but take note that you can only use 1 per fight and that it's an overall DPS loss by using these instead of your stat potions.
    according to wowhead they do work at lvl 85 although you get an error repsonse. were trying him for the first time this week in that particula group so we take it the easiest way possible. besides, im going to give that potion to our holy pally + resto shammy for kick/healing purposes.

Doesn't the stun racial from orcs work as well?

Might be an option if you're horde.
    It's the internet. You never know if people are either sarcastic or just bad.

Deleted
    Edit - 4.0.6 Patch notes:
    Alchemy

Alchemy: Free Action Potion now lasts 30 sec if the player is level 80 or lower. For higher levels, the duration is equal to [ 30 - (Player Level - 80) * 4 ]
    that's 10 sec at level 85 if you suck at maths.
    Alchemy: Living Action Potion now lasts 3 sec, down from 5 sec.
    ah damnit, no i know why people use free action potion -.-

What is a twinkgroup?

Being casual's not an excuse for being bad. Mages are absolutely the best class to interrupt shadow nova, and if you want to get this fight down on heroic you'll have to tell him to step up his game.

Bear in mind that you can only use one potion per fight, so you'll need to have every member of your raid taking a turn popping the potion and interrupting. Given that tanks likely aren't hitcapped and thus can miss an interrupt, and your healers likely wont have a spare GCD for interrupting, this will fall to your 4-5 dps. In the event you have 6 shadow novas, you're a bit screwed. Plus, this will mean none of your dps are potting for their primary stats, which is a fairly significant dps loss.

Seriously, it's the easiest thing in the world for a mage to stop every single cast. You're going to struggle with this fight a lot more than you need to unless you can get him to play properly.

Quote Originally Posted by takolin View Post
    Doesn't the stun racial from orcs work as well?

Might be an option if you're horde.
    Wait ..... What?

I think you mean the Tauren Racial

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by highlandr View Post
    Wait ..... What?

I think you mean the Tauren Racial
    Hardiness Racial Passive
    Duration of Stun effects reduced by an additional 15%.

should be sufficient.

Quote Originally Posted by QuizTIC View Post
    What is a twinkgroup?
    an alt raid, im assuming.

do you have a shaman that can go enh by chance? since hes already on the bosses nuts spamming windshear right as the 3rd roar is ending should get it