Page 45 of 46 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Half Life, Minecraft and wow

Deleted
    Pretty much every game in existence is "overrated" to some degree. What's troubling is that so many people are bothered by that. Though fanboys annoy everyone to be sure, there comes a point where it's not worth caring about the opinions of other people so much.

Halo was one of the most overrated franchises ever, but it was awesome fun for tens of millions of players, so more power to them. I'm not going to begrudge them their joy.

Of the past decade, here's my top 3, for what it's worth:

1. Halo
    2. Diablo II
    3. Spore

Honorable mentions include Dragon Age: Origins, the CoD franchise, Bioshock, and Fable.

world of warcraft. ohhhh burn!!!! but really. its kinda overrated

Fallout New Vegas
    ODST
    Bayonetta

My fav game of all time is God of War 3. (I actually played that one first, then 1 and 2)

I really did not like Fable II after playing the Original and Lost Chapters multiple times. Another would be Dragon Age Origins, the combat in the game just could not keep my attention.

let me begin. AHEM

halo (oh look another fps thats brings nothing new to the genre)
    cod all of them (oh look another fps nothing new etc.. also keep fueling robert kotick's heroin addiction by purchasing the umteenmillion dlcs that include maps that were made by volunteers)
    bioshock (oh look...)
    dead space (oh look these death scenes have put me to sleep)
    crysis both (these graphics are brainwashing me i completely forgot how terrible the game was)
    MoH (oh look...)
    GTA IV (they removed all the good shit that was in GTA SA..... why???)
    fallout NV (3 was so much better in terms of story, size and detail this was such a let down)
    left 4 dead, both of them (terrible, terrible, terrible nothing like zombie mod/too easy on versus mode for the survivors no story etc.)
    anything made by ubisoft just makes me giggle

and....
    bring on the hate

---------- Post added 2011-05-10 at 04:03 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Holywraths View Post
    Cuz COD is just for Console?

---------- Post added 2011-04-29 at 12:23 AM ----------

GO make you're own game then it was designed that way
    if you intend on actually playing that terrible game on pc without hacks i can help but snort in derision

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by doesnotcare View Post
    let me begin. AHEM

halo (oh look another fps thats brings nothing new to the genre)
    cod all of them (oh look another fps nothing new etc.. also keep fueling robert kotick's heroin addiction by purchasing the umteenmillion dlcs that include maps that were made by volunteers)
    bioshock (oh look...)
    dead space (oh look these death scenes have put me to sleep)
    crysis both (these graphics are brainwashing me i completely forgot how terrible the game was)
    MoH (oh look...)
    GTA IV (they removed all the good shit that was in GTA SA..... why???)
    fallout NV (3 was so much better in terms of story, size and detail this was such a let down)
    left 4 dead, both of them (terrible, terrible, terrible nothing like zombie mod/too easy on versus mode for the survivors no story etc.)
    anything made by ubisoft just makes me giggle

and....
    bring on the hate
    -halo had fast-paced game play that was only seen in quake and it offered what few were doing at the time, vehicles. Hardly anything new but it brought FPS back to the consoles after a hiatus from golden eye on N64.
    -CoD brought WWII to FPS which in your words counts as new. Which before itself and the Battlefield franchise all FPS involved fighting alien horde unless you played golden eye.
    -Bioshock, oh look.... yes, lets look. Another "new type of FPS"
    - You'vr named every FPS franchise except one, Im starting to think yo dont like them lol...

- L4D, awesome, awesome, awesome. Zombies before it were always slow and dull and only seen in Half life or Resident Evil. this brought them to the best game of 2009 and had a really good back story that expanded into a book, i think, and a comic book series that continued into L4D 2.

bottom line, your list of overrated is questionable but entirely opinionated, which we're all entitled too here, but your reasoning behind them is very, very vague. You hardly put up a fight to any argument and like I said about your FPS hate, you obviously dont care about the genre so stay away from judging it next time.

---------- Post added 2011-05-10 at 08:04 AM ----------

well, i guess I could post my overrated list:

- FFVII, I own it, played it twice in 1998-1998, then again in 2004 and 2006. It got worse each time and as much as I commend square[-enix] for pushing polygon graphics even after nintendo dumped it's plans forcing Square to make a quick move towards sony I think it could have used another 6-18months to polish up. Reason being, its choppy, the graphics are rough and rather "Dated" even for its time, Cloud is boring and very cliche, and the entire game's transition from traditional fantasy to this mecha-anime style world does not even qualify as a final fantasy title. What FFVI and FFIX pulled off as far as steampunk and a world of magic was awesome. FFVII and VIII are better off being off to the side in the Saga series imo.
    -Valve's community- yes, Valve is fine as a developer but their community of loyal steamers are like a workers union who will boycott a game because something is changed... and then buy it one week later. I still cant get over their reaction to L4D 2, that was an entirely new story set behind new survivors and the two things everyone on any gaming site or forum learned for all that mess is 1) valve fans are racist and 2) sexists. gotta love it...
    - Anything from EA. If there is one company out there who is in it for the money its EA. They are like the Walmart of the gaming world who has bought out all their competitions and stolen all the rights to nearly every sports franchise leaving no competition out there. No competition means no diversity towards developing a newer, fresher game. I guess thats why half of all the sports franchise titles they "owned" the rights too are no longer being made. The only good thing about them is that their 3 biggest brands used to be independent from EA and are basically still that way today, just now they have that "EA" logo on their boxes and loading screens.

10+ Year Old Account
    Rift
    Far Cry
    GTA IV
    Mass Effect 1 (dont like 1, but only done 5 missions so far.... I LOVE ME2 though, fricking brilliant!!!!)
    COD
    Halo

Titan is overra... oh wait I gotta save that line for the future

I think Minecraft is overrated, I'm not sure trough, it might just be me. I finally tried the game with a friend, I'm totally not a graphicwhore, but this game makes my eyes bleed.

My votes:

- Halo 3: ODST: This should've been released as a $20 expansion on a disc for Halo 3, not another $50 game. The story was interesting, but all we got was just a rushed, half-assed idea that could've been something truly great for the Halo universe. I do NOT regret selling my copy of this game.

- Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit (2010): A decent harkening back to the old days of Need for Speed, but it's not as good as it could've been. Driving physics were wonky as hell, the car selection was too typical, and the courses weren't challenging at all. EA should've kept Criterion making the Burnout games.

- Every Final Fantasy game after FFVII, excluding FFVIII and FFIX: FFVII to me was a slow death to what made the series great. The story was full of archetypes, it had plot devices coming from miles away, and the battle system was broken as hell. FFVIII had a more "fun" story, to me at least, and had a more enjoyable battle system (even if it did have some exploits in it). FFXI was a glimmer of hope for the series, then FFX came around... The only reason I liked FFX was the visual design of the game, easily some of the better monster designs in the series. Everything else about FFX? Complete pile of crap. FFXII, again, good-looking game, but executed just short of something good. FFXIII was BORING, plain and simple. I'll give the game credit for at least looking pretty.

- Guitar Hero series (after GH2): When Rock Band came on the scene, it basically stole all of Guitar Hero's thunder and just made it look like a cheap imitation. All they ended up doing was adding in gimmick after gimmick to win the crowds back, but all they did was just make the game worse and worse with each iteration.

- RIFT: I'll give credit to the rather unique Soul System for being a different way to tackle Multi-class characters. Otherwise, this game is snooze-worthy. It just mimics WoW a little too much and doesn't try to break the mold.

I think BioWare is slipping a slight bit in the world-building department. They scored big time with Mass Effect, Dragon Age: Origins, and Mass Effect 2, but Dragon Age 2 was one of the weaker games I've played by Bioware. I do like the idea of containing a game to one city, but everywhere I went in a dungeon, it was the same looking place just with slightly changed turns and monster encounters. Battle system and level-up system was nice, the writing was EXCELLENT (as usual per BioWare), but the level design is what weakened the game as a whole. Here's hoping that they expand on Dragon Age 2 soon with some expansion packs that go outside of Kirkwall.

I love the fact people say "Everything by this studio". Also, EA is a publisher, not a developer in a strict sense. Bioware is still independent, for the most part, from EA's control (It's a bit like the Activision/Blizzard relationship). EA, though, does seem to just push out the same franchises year in and year out with the occasional excellent exceptions (Dead Space, Burnout, Mass Effect, Dragon Age), so they just keep rolling in the money. That's just the game publisher mentality. If people are comfortable with a franchise, they just pump out sequels and spinoffs to keep the cash cow pumping in revenue.

10+ Year Old Account
    Here's to hoping Brink doesn't end up on this list :/
    Nobody is overrating Brink. It was overhyped, but overrated... nah.

Deleted
    Most games being made by Activision or EA.

Everything they touch turns to overhyped, cut down, DLC riddled piles of mass produced shit.

The less Activision or EA have to do with their games, the better.

Definitely Black & White.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunmoku View Post
    My votes:

I think BioWare is slipping a slight bit in the world-building department. They scored big time with Mass Effect, Dragon Age: Origins, and Mass Effect 2, but Dragon Age 2 was one of the weaker games I've played by Bioware. I do like the idea of containing a game to one city, but everywhere I went in a dungeon, it was the same looking place just with slightly changed turns and monster encounters. Battle system and level-up system was nice, the writing was EXCELLENT (as usual per BioWare), but the level design is what weakened the game as a whole. Here's hoping that they expand on Dragon Age 2 soon with some expansion packs that go outside of Kirkwall.

I love the fact people say "Everything by this studio". Also, EA is a publisher, not a developer in a strict sense. Bioware is still independent, for the most part, from EA's control (It's a bit like the Activision/Blizzard relationship). EA, though, does seem to just push out the same franchises year in and year out with the occasional excellent exceptions (Dead Space, Burnout, Mass Effect, Dragon Age), so they just keep rolling in the money. That's just the game publisher mentality. If people are comfortable with a franchise, they just pump out sequels and spinoffs to keep the cash cow pumping in revenue.

DA2 was terrible, after looking back ME2 was pretty bad as well, all the rpg elements from the first one were gone.

Call of Duty games.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pwntatoes View Post
    I told my friend I was going to McDonalds, but I actually went to Burger King. Kind of rude, but still.
    Quote Originally Posted by synthetikv View Post
    Bring her some ribbon candy and worthers original. Old Bitches love ribbon candy and worthers original.