Page 1 of 12
... LastLast

Post Most Underated Games

I wanted to post in the most overrated games thread about underrated games but figured it would be better to make a new one anyway

Post some games you think didn't get enough recognition

I'll start

Borderlands
    WCIII custom games
    Monday Night Combat
    Resto Druids, the best health care system

Deleted
    Minecraft

Dunno if it's underrated or not, but still alot complain about graphics etc so for me it's underrated.

Bloodsail Admiral
    15+ Year Old Account
    Age of Wonder and Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic. I rarely hear anyone talk about them, but they're amazing turn-based strategy games. It's still fun to play a game or two of them, especially with a friend.

not playing much games latey but i have to say:
    Giant: citizen kabuto ^^

-- Nier

Incredibly underrated but super-amazing Xbox360 game
    Visually, it looks a lot like Final Fantasy (from what my Final Fantasy-playing friends have told me)
    The gameplay is a hybrid between Zelda and Final Fantasy (again, from what my FF-playing friends have told me)
    IMPORTANT: The combat is NOT turn-based.
    Combat is a mix of traditional weapons and spells (some of which are pretty cool, the rest of which are EPIC).

Basically, If you loved Zelda back in the day, Nier is a mature-audience kind of Zelda.
    The game has 4 different endings, unlocked through NewGame+'s, with each NewGame+ starting 50% through the story.
    The story is AWESOME, especially if you take the time to go through all 4 play-throughs and really figure out what's going on.

And, to boot, since it's so underrated, you can buy it Brand New from Gamestop for $15

EDIT: And on the 'Medium' difficulty, the game is a very comfortable difficultly, which feels a lot like the Zelda games.
    the first play-through will take about 15-19 hours, each of the NewGame+ playthroughs will take 2-5 hours.

On the 'Hard' Difficulty, the game is INCREDIBLY hard.
    Last edited by frownface2000; 2011-03-23 at 06:50 PM.

Rift
    GTA SA
    GTA 4
    F.E.A.R 1 and 2
    Metro 2033

Rift because it's probably the best mmo I've played since WoW. It gets so much crap on these forums from rabid wow fanboys it's pretty disgusting. It's worth trying at least for the first month. I love the lore and action of the game, how the rift events stack up against old level 60 world raid bosses from WoW.

GTA SA and GTA4 simply because I didn't expect them to be good games. They're amazing at creating an atmosphere you can get lost in. GTA SA seem corny at first but really feels like you're in the LA area in the 90's. The games feel alive and active, they have their own personality.

F.E.A.R. 1 and 2 because they one of the best single player storylines I've ever played in an fps game. I have never experienced another game like them, the way the survival horror and fps genre is mixed together. A few other games attempt to do this but few really pull it off like fear does.

Metro 2033 because normally I hate depressing fallout style games but I found the atmosphere of this game really charming and lore of the story pleasing so I just kept on playing until I'd finished the game.

Minecraft - Yes. I dont even have it, i just played the free version. THE ONE YOU CAN DO NOTHING WITH and had tons of ideas floating around. It's good inbringing up ideas and i think you can get lost in it quite well. The man who did it stumbled upon a goldmine here.

Darksiders - I rarely hear people talking about it, yet it was really interesting to play. No, it didnt made anything really new. It borrowed from Zelda, Devil may Cry and - not to forget: - the Legacy of Kain-Series, if anyone still remembers. It brought back the good old feeling of those games. Also it impressed me about how diversified it felt. I never had the feeling that it repeated itself and even more; I really met something really rare: I got the feeling that the developers indeed wanted to make a good game, not just one that sells alot. Yes, im sure everyone is making games to earn lots of money, but i like to atleast get the feeling they are gamers themselfs and i did here quite alot.

Metro 2033 - I got to agree with epec, even though Rift... no, no talk about the-Game-that-is-like-WoW now. About Metro... It was indeed interesting. I liked the atmosphere, even though they cut you short on a few spots. For example we never went much into the huge Trainstation. But i liked the characters, felt sorry for Burbon when he died (and seeked revenge :E) and loved the part where you are between the Red faction and the Nazis. In special the part where you had to sneak through, unnoticed. In speciel the part where you had to kill everyone. In special the part where you had to save the prisoners. Oh wait, all achievments... The game actually made me play it three times to do all of them because i enjoyed the challanges so much.
    Last edited by SoundOfGuns; 2011-03-23 at 06:59 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Phantom Dust, for XBOX.

Advent Rising - I heard it got bad reviews, but this game was so damn good, it's sad they never ported it onto the Xbox 360.

Hm, I know several, though I dunno if I'd call them under rated, since many of them are critically acclaimed. They're definitely under played though.

Braid (looks like a mario clone, but is perhaps the most profound game out there)
    Psychonaughts
    Ico
    Beyond Good and Evil

Cave Story (you can download it for free! Seriously! There's no reason not to get it! Do it naow! It's for PC! Low system reqs! You're on a PC! What are you waiting for!?)

Maniac Mansion (NES game. Followed up by Day of the Tentacle, which received a lot more notoriety)

Ironically, I haven't played all of these games, but I've heard enough to know they're worth it. There are a lot of others I could include, but I'm not so sure they were under rated or under played, so I'll leave them out.

Another note on Braid, if you follow the story and reflect on the ending, it is just amazing. But once you learn of the hidden stars and unlock the secret ending...well, you'll be dumbfounded. Jonathan Blow, the creator of Braid, is working on a new game called the witness by the way. If you like puzzle games....or even games that are well-crafted you should check it out. Think Myst.
    Last edited by Teaba; 2011-03-23 at 07:50 PM.

For me, that would probably be... hmm...

Either Sacrifice or Nox.

Day of Defeat. Incredibly balanced maps based on the Source engine. No single player game though, always been treated like a glorified mod.

X-Com: Terror from the Deep. Alot of people complained it was overly long (2 stage maps) and much too hard compared to X-Com. I liked the challenge, and the Cthulu theme, and it was a great sequel.

Rift. Its like Stephen Fry's comment on Shakespeare: "The most impressive thing about Rift (Shakespeare), is that despite all the people saying that its really good, that it is actually really good."

Deleted

Shadow of Colossus
    Anything can happen

Shenmue....NUFF SAID

Beyond Good and Evil

Alot of Indie games. Main thing limiting them is they dont have huge budgets.

Kya: Dark Lineage - Really fun platformer for PS2. Story was meh, but gameplay was a blast.
    Dreamfall: The Longest Journey - Engaging story with a lot of cliffhangers. Main character was one of my favorites.
    Chrono Cross - Following up Chrono Trigger is a hell of a position to be in. The innovative story and the way it doesn't seem to tie in to the first game until later into the game was genius.

A lot of other really good games listed by others so far :3

Deleted
    Metal Fatigue

rts from 2000
    amazing graphics for its time
    basically you fight in 3 phases: land, underground and orbit
    units: bombers, fighters, tanks, and the most important... robots...
    you build robotic parts in factory: arms, torso, legs
    you can do about 1000+ combinations of those parts
    3 so-called corponations: Europa, Mil-agro, Blue-tech ( or something with xxxx-tech)
    every corponation specialize in one type of body parts: Europa->legs, Mil-agro->arms, xxxx-tech->torso
    Some time when a robot explodes a piece of his body (arms etc) will drop on ground, so you can pick it up take it to lab and scan it and then you can build your own.
    plot: its simple, humankind discovers some high tech ancient ruins of unknown civilization and the least powerful corponation are scared so they try to flee to the corner of the space. But these 3 are the most powerful so they want to claim their tech. At the final battle among them a big and massive portal opens close to the planet where the battle is and Hedoth (ancient race) returns.
    This is where it ends... too bad, id rather want if Psygnosis (company which made it) was more famous than blizz or westwoods. So that they wouldnt break up
    I like this rts more than sc, war3, RAs. Only Supreme Commander (1) is better

More games from psygnosis

Rollcage stage 2

freaking imba arcade racing
    1->500 miles per hour in 1 sec ... when you have the best cars

G-police

Youre on the moon of Jupiter i think
    Youre playing as a policeman pilot of gunships
    nice weapons etc

If you can try out these ones, theyre perfect and original
    Last edited by mmoc4f4f711062; 2011-03-23 at 07:41 PM. Reason: more games