Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Looking for new MMO with healthy RP community

After years of playing WoW and witnessing the painful... searingly painful... decline of decent RP and/or RPers I have decided to move on. I'd like any suggestions of decent MMORPGs with a rich, deep lore and a healthy RP community that accommodates both good and evil players.

I know DCUO has a dedicated villain and hero RP leagues on one of their servers.

10+ Year Old Account
    I know, again, that DCU:O has a little of that. You do get a few in some of the older games too. I've only had a brief experience of it in Rift when I speaking to a friend, he said they do ok on their server, and that the fact you can speak across faction in shouts and say helps taunt the enemy and is hilarious fun (apparently... o.O).
    Digital Rumination
    Plays: Sylvanas EU - Fierae (Druid) | HotS | EVE | PUBG
    Played: Rift | Guild Wars 2 | SW:TOR | BF4 | Smite | LoL | Skyrim
    Ryzen 1920X - 32GB - 980Ti SLI - PCIE NVMe 1GB SSD - Enthoo Primo - Full WC - 4K

http://www.shadowclan.org/worldofwarcraft/

If you're looking for RP in WoW, they're definitely worth looking up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by noahjam326 View Post

I said I am pretty much finished with WoW, besides just because a guild says it's evil doesn't mean people will acknowledge it or cooperate with their RP events. I should know, I've been in an Old God cult for a few years and it all fell apart because the ratio of good/evil players is awful, especially since the playable factions have the exact same agenda. Seriously, they are the same faction, different races.

I've also been hunting around for another game since WoW is just old and they are even bringing back old raids and rehashing old dungeons. So yeah bit lazy on blizzards part. cata feels like a patch not an expansion but on to the OP question.

I looked into Lord of the Rings and was checking out their forums. Not much QQ'ing, mature responses to questions, no name calling, no arena elitist disregarding anything you say about your class if you don't have a gladiator title, basically a lot less assholes. They seem like a good bunch of people over there go check it out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSerious View Post
    I've also been hunting around for another game since WoW is just old and they are even bringing back old raids and rehashing old dungeons. So yeah bit lazy on blizzards part. cata feels like a patch not an expansion but on to the OP question.

I looked into Lord of the Rings and was checking out their forums. Not much QQ'ing, mature responses to questions, no name calling, no arena elitist disregarding anything you say about your class if you don't have a gladiator title, basically a lot less assholes. They seem like a good bunch of people over there go check it out.
    I'd have to second the recommendation of Lord of the Rings Online. It's a great community, especially if you enjoy RP. Not to mention it has a Pay as You Go option so you can try it out, and either keep playing for free and very slowly unlock things as you go (doing stuff gets you tokens, tokens let you buy more quests, expansions, etc), or subscribe for $10 a month and get 500 tokens per month as well.
    "I can't take HIS money... I can't print MY OWN money... I have to work for money, why don't I just lay down and die?" - Homer Simpson

Steam: Zolgar
    360: Thumbtack Jayk

LotR does indeed have a massive RP community. Many of the players, especially at higher levels, are really playing it because they love the shit out of the lore, so it's a good place to be.

Lord of the Rings Online if you're RPer go for it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Every game is only what you make it.
    "True knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "wise men speak because they have something to say; fools speak because they have to say something"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PreventerWind View Post
    Every game is only what you make it.
    True, but how much RP can you do in Counter Strike..........

OT: Go for LotR

10+ Year Old Account
    The only issue with LoTR is that there is no "evil" faction outside of the BG system they have. I can't play on the side of Sauron for instance. I'd like to see them make orcs, trolls, goblins, and Sauron's human followers their own playable faction.

10+ Year Old Account
    Idk much about Rp'ing but it always seemed pretty gay to me idk. Not trying to bash it or anything but I don't think people should be into a fantasy world that much.

User was infracted for this. -llDemonll
    Last edited by llDemonll; 2011-03-25 at 05:56 PM.

Made by dubbelbasse

Quote Originally Posted by kushlol View Post
    Idk much about Rp'ing but it always seemed pretty gay to me idk. Not trying to bash it or anything but I don't think people should be into a fantasy world that much.
    Actually some people prefer to play their roles instead of stupid and numb raids/pvp. Also there wouldn't be any RPG games if not the RP part, which comes from tabletop RPGs like Warhammer and D&D. People like you ruined the game and forced it all to be stupid grind with no real gameplay just free epix. Give me SW:TOR a MMORPG now.
    S.H.

Actually some people prefer to play their roles instead of stupid and numb raids/pvp. Also there wouldn't be any RPG games if not the RP part, which comes from tabletop RPGs like Warhammer and D&D. People like you ruined the game and forced it all to be stupid grind with no real gameplay just free epix. Give me SW:TOR a MMORP now.
    Took the G off MMORPG. Fixed it for ya. Also, if SW:TOR becomes a bubbling pool of RPers bent on holding true to there distant cousins great uncle of Luke Skywalker, I won't play it, and you'll be happy. Have fun with the 300,000 or so target audience that game picks up and then flops when the pop. can't support regular updates.

An MMO built around supporting roleplayers could viably sell a $40 sub, have a 300k playerbase, and have a very long life of profitability. MUDs who catered to RPers were charging those kinds of rates successfully even after the second wave of MMOs.

10+ Year Old Account
    The lack of a real evil faction in LotRO is a big issue, there. This is quite the quandary, if I do say so myself, and I don't normally say that.

I think the issue with most games that just have an RP option is that they don't really provide decent environments for players to simply dwell in. I mean, I don't think it would be that difficult to create a decent sized, empty tavern for players to RP in with barmaids walking around, or something like that.

Meh, I'm probably not explaining my idea explicitly, but I can blame that on the booze =P
    Last edited by Kankuri; 2011-03-25 at 08:06 PM. Reason: adishunal info

Quote Originally Posted by noahjam326 View Post
    http://www.shadowclan.org/worldofwarcraft/

Holy shit on a holy shingle. Are those the same Shadowclan Orcs that RP'd in orc helms for (literally) YEARS, on Ultima Online? I couldn't find anything about it on the site, but... WOW, man... that's some serious longevity for an online guild. If that is the same people, I am extremely impressed.
    Yeah We ALl do m8 guess again somting went frong well lets hope it will be fixed soon
    ...?

Yah, Shadowclan has a fairly cohesive core. They do a great job of maintaining unity even when they split into different games. I played with them for a while on Mordred. I wasn't a fan of how they integrated OOC into their RP chat, but I have enormous respect for what they accomplish.
    I've grown to expect their presence in any new MMO that has even a remotely compatible means to RP their clan. They're fun to fight against too