RAM for Asus M4A78 PRO motherboard

Good evening guys!

So I was planning on buying myself some new RAM for my PC, currently I have 2GB DDR2 ram on a 533 MHz, and was wondering if you guys got any tip for which RAM I should buy? What I wonder the most is should I get DDR3 or something else? I havent updated myself on RAM for a while ad was hoping to get some help on what to choose.

Basicly, I'm not looking for anything really expensive. I think something around 4-6GB is enough, I'm not planning on playing some relly heavy games, but perhaps fraps some things in WoW and not go down to 15 FPS!

Like topic says, my motherboard is an Asus M4A78 PRO.

Appreciating all help, unfortunetly I'm going to bed so I wont be able to reply to your questions until tomorrow!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820104098

Your mobo supports:

4 x DIMM, Max. 16 GB, DDR2 1200(O.C.)/1066*/800/667 ECC,Non-ECC,Un-buffered Memory
    Dual Channel memory architecture
    *Due to AMD CPU limitation, DDR2 1066 is supported by AM2+/AM3 CPU for one DIMM per channel only. Refer to www.asus.com for the memory QVL (Qualified Vendors Lists).
    *Due to OS limitation, when installing total memory of 4GB capacity or more, Windows® 32-bit operation system may only recognize less than 3GB. Hence, a total installed memory of less than 3GB is recommended.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    I would go with something like: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820145238

You don't need 1066. You don't need heat spreaders. You don't need to spend more than $60 for 4GB of RAM. You don't need to deal with rebates. You can also put up to 8GB of RAM in your system this way.

Quote Originally Posted by qw4 View Post
    I would go with something like: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820145238

You don't need 1066. You don't need heat spreaders. You don't need to spend more than $60 for 4GB of RAM. You don't need to deal with rebates. You can also put up to 8GB of RAM in your system this way.
    Pretty sure the OP would like to know why you said ^. He probably would like to understand why before buying it.

Ex;

"Corvettes are the shit"
    "Why?"
    "Because they are."

I don't even know what a corvette is! (Get it?)

Quote Originally Posted by Chickensoup23 View Post
    Pretty sure the OP would like to know why you said ^. He probably would like to understand why before buying it.

Ex;

"Corvettes are the shit"
    "Why?"
    "Because they are."

I don't even know what a corvette is! (Get it?)
    He doesn't need 1066 because his mobo supports 1066MHz RAM for only one channel, if he's going to fill all 4 sockets he can't run it properly @ 1066MHz anyway.

He doesn't need heat spreaders because he's not going to OC the RAM like crazy. RAM heatspeaders are useless in that case.

Thanks alot for the replys, and also for the explenations! I think I'll go with your recommendation qw4, found 4gb of them quite cheap. Mostly due to the fact that I can only use one 1066 hz, so might as well save me some money and go with the 800 ones!