Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I personally have play all MMO's (even the bad ones like warhammer) since Ever Quest. They all have similarities as there is no way to make it entirely new but they all have their own differences. If a company can find something really different and not just "we have made blah game, it is the same as wow with new toon skins and better graphics" then they may make something that will dominate wow. untill then imo they will just be imitations of a system that works well

Quote Originally Posted by sinsay View Post
    so my theory is this, blizzard not only dominated the mmo market with wow, but they also destroyed the market for anyone else including themselves, at least for another rpg, fps may still have some moxy left in it, but i cant see any mmorpg ever being attractive enough to pay to play again.
    I don't think so. If anything I think the success of Wow is making the MMO market more attractive for investment. A game does not need to beat Wow to be successful. Eve has been around for a long time and it is still going. It is not as big but big enough to keep going. I am hoping some of the current MMOs in development will survive to release and be relatively successful. Wow needs some serious competition. Not necessary anpther big MMO, several small ones with about 500k to about 1 million subscribers would be fine just to take away a couple of million or so from Wow.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kinneer View Post
    I don't think so. If anything I think the success of Wow is making the MMO market more attractive for investment. A game does not need to beat Wow to be successful. Eve has been around for a long time and it is still going. It is not as big but big enough to keep going. I am hoping some of the current MMOs in development will survive to release and be relatively successful. Wow needs some serious competition. Not necessary anpther big MMO, several small ones with about 500k to about 1 million subscribers would be fine just to take away a couple of million or so from Wow.
    in addition, games like Guild Wars attracted many players, and an official A-net posted that they officially had reached 7 million subscribers sometime two years ago.

Eve also has a powerful player-base. I loved that game but it was way more time consuming than WoW...

The only thing with mmo's is some constantly try to change things to make it appear new when the games are already over a few years old or so. Who here remembers console gaming? I do, once you bought it nothing changes it . You learn the game then buy the following one afterwards.
    Less drama with console gaming , not really sure how xbox live and other console games with internet gameplay are like these days.

WoW is outdated in terms of its gameplay. that's the beauty of several of the most recent developments in the mmo industry. WoW has helped grow and alter the landscape of the mmo, more than anything else. Even if all the of the people hailing the end of WoW are correct, it's left an indelible mark on the industry and how future games will be developed.