Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

SWTOR vs WoW - Movement and Feel

Hello,

I'm contemplating my purchase because I'm worried about one thing.

I have read up and researched the game and watched countless videos and it does interest me but I am worried about the movement and feel about the game. Ever since I have quit wow I havent been able to find a game that "feels" like wow, you know? the way the character moves means a lot to me for pve/pvp situations and I wanted to know if the movement is like wow in terms of sensitivity and feel.

If it's like wow then I'll most likely buy.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by wooshiewoo View Post
    Movement and feel is vastly different than WoW.....................................................for the worse.

Characters in SW:ToR are extremely stiff, look a little bit "funny" and animations aren't very fluent.

WoW characters have better textures, move very fluently (no stiff feel to them), and animations are superior in every single way than the SW:ToR models.

One thing SW:ToR does better than any other game ever, is the CGI and story telling which is completely amazing. The actual game is still a carbon copy kill, loot, repeat though of every other MMO.
    Probably because it has been around for less than a what, a week? Let's see, WoW has been around for what, 7 years? Great judgement.

WoW characters have better textures,
    lol..... Wow characters have no where the textures and polygon count compared to anything in SWTOR. As for motion itself I can agree that it's not as fluid feeling but in time it'll improve.

Quote Originally Posted by Emias View Post
    Probably because it has been around for less than a what, a week? Let's see, WoW has been around for what, 7 years? Great judgement.
    It's funny isn't it

Movement and feel is vastly different than WoW.....................................................for the worse.

Characters in SW:ToR are extremely stiff, look a little bit "funny" and animations aren't very fluent.

WoW characters have better textures, move very fluently (no stiff feel to them), and animations are superior in every single way than the SW:ToR models.

One thing SW:ToR does better than any other game ever, is the CGI and story telling which is completely amazing. The actual game is still a carbon copy kill, loot, repeat though of every other MMO.
    This arguement comes from the boring side of MMO's. First of all, WTF pretending that WoW models have better textures. Secondly, the only thing you're missing is the ability to sit in a bench in the capital city. Tor seems to be setup to remove the downtime, not encourage it like other mmo's. The immersion of the game completely kills any need for those things.

The animation of combat and movement in ToR is severely superior to WoW simply because it's not spam poke. You see each person use their ability and immediately know what they're using because all animations are distinct and beautiful.

The combat is clunky, your companion delays all the time, the character movements are garbage. The quests are a complete joke as well. It's literally kill these mobs "x" amount of times or collect/disable such and such. It's getting so repetitive and mind numbing boring. Again, JMO.

I guess I am not surprised that someone would just flat out lie.

1. The animation are a bit smoother than WoW. When they are slowed down you can see how much effort was put into the fluidity of a skill like force leap, but there are more frames per animations for sure. (This is measurable, and not just "I think" like the above poster)

2. WoW textures are no where near the quality, but that is to be expected from a older game. I am not sure why you would even say this, because texture quality is actually a measurable thing(like animations above). It's like holding a half gallon of milk in one hand, and a gallon in the other, and then exclaiming that the half gallon held more liquid. It's not something that can be argued.

Quote Originally Posted by sTyLnK View Post
    The combat is clunky
    What are you comparing this to? There is no other MMO out with as high of quality animations, nor as many frames put in to each animation.

The combat is clunky, your companion delays all the time, the character movements are garbage. The quests are a complete joke as well. It's literally kill these mobs "x" amount of times or collect/disable such and such. It's getting so repetitive and mind numbing boring. Again, JMO.
    Oh suprise, a MMo thats similare to EVERY other mmo there is?!

It's like saying "God, the new CS is just like the old CS.. we shoot stuff".

It's not fair to compare WOW and SWTOR as WOW has been out for 7 years, 7 years of improving the small errors that they have yet to discover.

However, compare SWTOR and VANILLA.... and SWTOR wins.

This post is absolutely FAKE. These are complete lies...
    All skills have a different, proper animation, and were talking dozens of skills per advanced class. And they are not stiff, the models are framed fluidly.

10+ Year Old Account
    M animations are superior in every single way than the SW:ToR models.

Oh yeah, those animations getting cut off by auto attack are definitely superior. /sarcasm off

I think it's time for you to give MMOs the death sentence then. Either that or you're just another fanboy spouting shit.

Deleted
    Armour textures are better in wow, polygon counts and combat animations seem better in swtor.

Not trying to troll, go look at t11-13 level armour on max setting then look at tor armour, the textures in wow are better but they're on lower quality models.

There is so much fanboy fuel in the MMO war that I can't tell who is biased and who isn't. I wish someone would come in and put the kibosh on this. I'm curious about the fluidity of the models as well, but based on all but two or three replies in here I can not tell.
    “From even the greatest of horrors irony is seldom absent.”

I didn't play the game extensively, only spent some hours on Beta but in my experience World of Warcraft had better movement than Star Wars. I felt my character was very stiff (especially when jumping), the movement was kind of "forced". Maybe it is due to the fact that I've grown used to the Warcraft animations, but Star Wars just didn't have that comfort. As for textures, I feel it's again a matter of what you're used to see but as for quality, SWTOR's textures aren't exceptionally better than their WoW counterparts. It's just ... different.

Again, this is coming from someone who has only played the game in its late Beta form. Things might have improved in live.

Press button - wait half a second - ability triggers.

Mouse over server latency - 32 MS

It is just short of the point where it makes me not want to play at all. but it's damn close. The delay is so ridiculous at times i can't stand it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimpan View Post

However, compare SWTOR and VANILLA.... and SWTOR wins.
    what year did each come out? im sure new technology and having other MMOs for an example have nothing at all to do with that.
    still really a bad comparison.
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Yak View Post
    Life Lesson #1 - People are terrible.

Don't let it get to you. It'll only spoil your own personal enjoyment if you do.

if youre playing a meleeclass you will have to deal with some animations that dont flow 100%. im playing a headhunter right now and i can shoot while wallking! you dont notice alot of this "clunkyness" as a ranged character.

overall id say its not bad enough to NOT buy the game because of the slightly clunky animations.

and the feel... well its just awesome to launch a flurry of missiles, or slice people up with your lightsaber. its nothing compared to the sword and shield-style in wow.

10+ Year Old Account
    idd its the shitiest game ever oh wait! no, the quests are 1000% better than wow, it doesn't really matter what you have to do in the quest its the story line, its like saying all games are boring coz all you do is move and click some buttons hurrr, and really? and combat is bad? i did not play a melee class in wow coz of the combat style, went sith warrior on SWTOR and the combat is super great, at least way better than wow