Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bladebarrier View Post
    To me, this game is a testimony of bad balancing. The only thing that is keeping me to be their customer is, sadly, because there is nothing else on the game market to be even playable.
    hurry up Guild Wars 2 we need you now, more than ever. But I'm just going to try out the star wars game and maybe check out DDO for a few months. Cancelled my account for the exact reasons you stated in your original post. PvP is in the worst state ever and basically barely playable unless you are one of the lucky ones to have either a frost mage, warrior, dk or sub rogue. Even those classes can be hard countered by another. Its not balancing, its hard countering.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by dnova03 View Post
    Exactly what IS balanced? Everyone always winning? People not getting their asses kicked?
    Hard to define, but I think that which Blizzard in aiming for in SC2 comes somewhat close to what could be called balance. Talking about the league system here, not going to delve into class balance as there's a 90% chance I'll get flamed by a random player :P

The overwhelming difficulty in balancing PvP in WoW is also further aggravated by the number of variables. Think about how many skills/talent trees/stats/gear pieces there are, really. W/o some kind of PvP/PvE separation on these things - yes, skills too - it will most probably be so difficult to balance PvP that Blizzard will be making good guess work at best. On the contrary there are some really brilliant minds out there so you will never know :P

... because the game is balanced around PvE. Face it, accept it or quit.
    Wow. Yet another one of these threads, these things are becoming nearly as popular as the "Pick what class I should play" or "Pick what class will be super OP next patch / this patch" threads. Some people play the game for PvP, deal with it and stop making these QQ threads.

To me, this game is a testimony of bad balancing. The only thing that is keeping me to be their customer is, sadly, because there is nothing else on the game market to be even playable.
    Hey I heard that there's a cool game called Rift being advertised on this very website. Go try it if you hate this game so much?
    I sold out 4 years ago, when I sold to Major League Gaming. And I think you're a troll.
    - Boub

Why do people cry for balance? NOTHING in life is balanced. there are bad sides, and good sides to everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltsmash View Post
    Why do people cry for balance? NOTHING in life is balanced. there are bad sides, and good sides to everything.
    thanks for the chinese fortune cookie reply. Nothing can be completely balanced but you can get a lot closer to balance than what we have atm, which is rubbish imo.

not while its based off arena and kalgan still works there.

WoW is by no means a unique case. In any game in which players compete against one another playing anything remotely resembling different classes, there is imbalance.

In definite terms, no WoW's PvP class system isn't balanced. In Relative terms, though, it's more balanced now than it's ever been, and it's important to keep that in mind.

Of course it will never be balanced. If it ever got truly balanced GC would be out of the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Dundebuns View Post
    Of course it will never be balanced. If it ever got truly balanced GC would be out of the job.
    no he wouldn't. he has nothing to do with this. he's in charge of pve. kalgan is the 1 who does pvp.

Actually comparing to many other games, balance in blizzard games is close to perfection
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

I'm not going to buy any game by EA as long as they continue those practices.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    That depends on what YOU call balance:

Viable? Surely possible, and they are getting close at it.

whatever you are smoking up there in holland, stop it.

warriors are out of hand, mages also, and most healers are unkillable by most classes.
    homogenization is ruining the game rendering it boring. they are close to making each class have the same mechanics.... thats not good that sucks

Quote Originally Posted by procne View Post
    Actually comparing to many other games, balance in blizzard games is close to perfection
    Perfection?You mean how every class has pretty much the same abilities as others to make it "Fair".No,the player base is just greedy and doesnt like the idea of getting beaten.So everything is now...the same...its almost sickining

The beginning of the cataclysm was the time when classes were more balanced in my opinion. But Blizzard decided to ruin everything to help mages and melees to get their gladiator titles.

The only thing that is keeping me to be their customer is, sadly, because there is nothing else on the game market to be even playable.
    really? so many new games were just released: crysis 2, portal 2 is almost out, assassins creed brotherhood, homefront etc. and if you want another mmorpg then just play rift which has some nice reviews and its been out for like a month only

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Illunis View Post
    So, once they realize that pve vs pvp balance doesn't need to be a problem, just by putting in the effort to write 2 separate codes for an ability, thats when pvp and pve can be balanced
    They actually said it would make it too confusing for new players if each ability had a pve function separate from a pvp function. It would seem Blizzard just thinks the players are dumb but this was just a lousy excuse. The real reason like you said is this would require EFFORT on a massive scale that they are obviously not willing to do at this point.

15+ Year Old Account
    i don't think small-scale PVP will ever be balanced, either.

i made a thread on this, on PVP in general, basically asking why Blizzard doesn't just balance completely around BGs and PVE.

i was met with a lot of people who are ready to defend the "prestige" of PVP (arena) at the drop of a hat and if they even see anything PVE, they call PVE bias or go, "if they balance around PVE i'll quit the game".

"i play WoW for PVP" and let me guess, you play a mage, warrior or warlock? the only reason anyone plays wow strictly for the PVP is because they like being over-powered. it's a gritty truth that no one really wants to talk about. either that or they don't know about real PVP games. (LoL, BLC, etc)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by domzai View Post
    Source?

I don't see how this is the core of the issue.. If anything, this is the core of the solution without creating two different games.

The game PROGRESSES, each content patch introduces new items, which causes things to be fixed. It also is a freakin' huge game, as the game progresses, their visions and goals for each class/spec etc change, which is the reason for revamps and overhauls. I have to disagree with you about the increase of complexity. The game as it is now is far simpler to understand now than it was in wrath with stats like Defense and Armor Penetration. Mastery may be hard to model in-game, but it is also only available to 80+, so the player has some experience at least.

Is this really what this is about? You read one line from PTR notes?

I find it ironic that above you implied that WoW is the only game on the market that has never been in good condition... Yet nothing else is playable either? ... riiiiiigggght
    you ask for a source? how about that its a role playing game..that alone qualifies it to be more pve oriented not to much at release there was no real pvp just a bunch of tarren mill and ss ganking

The riptide is free..but the GWH? Thats gonna cost you..

Deleted
    I guess the solution there could be to homogenize the PvE and PvP sides of the game, not to divide them.
    The source of the issue is that PvP and PvE encounters are so different.
    In PvP you have one/few targets with small HP and a lot of abilities/versatility.
    In PvP you have (mostly) one main target with immence HP and short range of abilities with almost no versatility(c'mon, most bosses are so predictable, even if the game itself didn't tell you what comes next you would figure it out after one-two wipes).

What if the PvE component comes close to PvP? If there is no boss-fights against huge dragon with 100M HP, but instead this same dragon has 250K HP and a range of 20 abilities and very smart AI, while the adds has a range of 10 abilities and HP of 150K.

Then the raid fights would be a lot more dynamic and unpredictable. Many will say "huhm this dragon will be killed in the first two seconds of the fight". But will players be killed in the first two seconds in Arena or BG(alright in BG sometimes they do)?

And if the game mechanic doesn't have to deal with HUGE boss HPs, than the dmg output of all classes can be easily normalised for the sake of survivability and utility. And that will immediately be noticed in PvP too.
    That model of course will break apart the tank/healer/dps system because in such raid fights everyone will have to do everything they can to survive and lay down one more enemy.

But who knows, maybe it will work out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pvp will never be balanced in an mmo ever.

Made by dubbelbasse

IMO the only way to balance pvp is to have diversity. Right now we have classes that have the same mechanics as the other class with either more options or just better overall abilities.

This causes a shift in the game where specs like Balance would have trouble against a frost mage. A frost mage has more tools to work with compared to a balance druid who has spells that are near identical to each other.*

* I just started playing my balance druid