Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by shaw0050 View Post
    http://www.maximumpc.com/article/asu...eo_card_review

"The company estimates the card to be roughly 6dB quieter than the HD 6990 at full load."

It's entirely possible that they're wrong, but that's just what I've read.
    Could be they mean with the fans running 100%. From some of the video's posted though, it looks like the 590s fans only get to ~50% at full load, making it much much quieter, unless you're gaming in a sauna.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    I like my X6, the 1055T overclocked to 3.5Ghz is plenty efficient for gaming.

The X6's are good for budget builds, some of the cheaper i7's like the old 960 are just as good as the top end X6's.
    Check the charts above. Even the old i5-750 beats x6 1100T in every single game. Also what does not show in that chart is tht x4 965 beats x6 1055T in every single game because of raw clock speed difference.

I think at a certain point it comes down to how much you are willing to spend and which you are going to be doing more of, as the X6 is a beast for video editing and stuff.
    "Video editing and stuff", ie. properly multithreaded math that takes advantage of all 6 cores is the only thing where PhenomII x6 is better than the 4-core CPUs, although i5-2500K beats it in there too.

Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

I would recommend looking at the setups that he posts as a good idea of parts to get. However when it comes to raising the bar he just seems to pick more expensive components without reason. As in, if he is choosing a more expensive component compared to a similar build he should at least explain why.

For the majority of gamers buying the higher end motherboards is a complete waste. So goes some silly over the top CPU cooler. The stock Intel Coolers do fine. Same goes for keyboard and mice selections. Your preference there should be what is most comfortable to use.
    iMac
    2012-03-05 : The day SWTOR jumped the shark
    Mages are basically "warlocks for girls" - Kerrath

I like my X6, the 1055T overclocked to 3.5Ghz is plenty efficient for gaming. I will probably upgrade to something better later in the year when the i7 2600k drops in price and the boards are more widely available, but I also plan on upgrading my graphics card too. The X6's are good for budget builds, some of the cheaper i7's like the old 960 are just as good as the top end X6's. I think at a certain point it comes down to how much you are willing to spend and which you are going to be doing more of, as the X6 is a beast for video editing and stuff.

---------- Post added 2011-03-24 at 09:54 PM ----------

6 dB is a very nominal sound difference in my opinion.
    I'm fairly new to computing components and all the like, but unless they use some magical dB system 6dB is not some nominal difference it's 4 times the power, and around twice as loud or so (10 dB is considered double perceived volume, 6 dB is double the pressure wave) regardless of starting dB.
    Last edited by Fostus; 2011-03-25 at 02:10 PM.