Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Zareth View Post
    This wouldn't make much of a difference, really. Unless the person 2nd on aggro after the warlock is say a boomkin with Barkskin on or a plate wearer etc. As long as your group stays within melee range of Magmaw, someone will take a hit. If DPS stops completely, then most likely - a healer will take the hit. Unless you're able to somehow establish and maintain threat while being mangled.
    What you can do when tank threat is an issue, is have a melee dps taunt right before the mangle and heal that person through the mangle. Tank can just keep going then and never even get the 50% armor debuff. But really, keeping tank threat in cata T11 raids is the most easy thing of all time. Might want to talk to your tank instead of the dps. Can assure you that won't work anymore on heroic, though. ^^
    Last edited by Auralan; 2011-03-24 at 11:09 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thoaee View Post
    You're kidding right?
    A tank on adds? You know that you should not get anywhere near the parasites right, as they will infest and spawn even more parasites.
    We have a hunter taking care of them. He is the only one in ranged, he will put a trap down where they spawn to slow them, then aoe the shit out of them. Once the hunter has threat (and they fixate on him), the rest of the ranged chips in with aoe (they're all standing in melee)

and as for the debuff, I keep one of my cooldowns for during mangle, and the other for the armor debuff. Our healers can handle it without any problems.
    We use one tank on Magmaw and a protection warrior (me) on adds. I handle the adds alone and DPS nuke Magmaw 100%.
    At start, I kite them more than I tank them. Charge in, Showckwave for aggro and move away. But once Vengence stacks are getting high, I easen up on the kiting more and more and eventually I just stand there tanking them.
    With high vengence, they die very fast. And the little damage they do is laughable and very easy to heal up with victory rush (which is active 100% more or less). I get the debuff and another add spawn. Who cares? I one-shot it anyway basicly.

So yeah, you can have a tank on the adds. No problem. It's also fun to end the fight as top DPS with ~21-24k DPS as a protection warrior.

OP: What we figured out is that he hit a random person in melee range when he raise up after exposed phase. Just have everyone more away from melee range ~2 sec before he get up. And there's no point for range to stay in melee during burn phase anyway.

Can't say much about your problem but I had a bug like this once on Curator, our MT pulled Curator the boss just walked passed him (no one had started dps yet) came up to me, one shotted me and went back to our MT. Was a pretty funny moment on vent.

I am a lock and I didn't lifetap, activate any trinkets nor dot the guy before he 1shotted me. I guess bosses dislike locks

Quote Originally Posted by Keilden View Post
    Tanking the parasite is possible since only 1 parasite will spawn if they all jump on 1 player, atleast they did it last time I was there(stuff gets hotfixed pretty fast nowdays).
    not only is it possible, but we have found this to be the best way to handle the encounter. the hunter method works ok (also have done it using a warlock) the only issue it presents are the fiery balls of death that rain down from the sky. when you are stacked the damage is shared but when a single lonely hunter is out there by themselves chances are they get wrecked TOUGH which can result in a lot of additional healing that needs to be done or the death of the hunter. also did it with 1 dk 1 mage and 1 hunter that would pretty much take care of the adds without having the group stop their dps to help aoe. the reason why tanking method works well is quite simple. tanks have a lot more hp and mitigation + cooldowns, plus self heals (we use a pally). from what i seen you can only have one parasite in you at a time so chances are you would only spawn 1 or 2 more before they all get burned down and even if u spawn one or two or even three its not a big deal because they usually get killed with the next group of adds. when the head becomes exposed if an add is up our tank just kites it or i (hunter) finish it off with a few well placed AiS and KS

Quote Originally Posted by Archimand View Post
    tell him to move out of melee range of magmaw and the tank will be in melee range ready to attack
    This is solution OP is looking for.
    HolgerDK Stærkodder Shocknorrís
    "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.

Could it be related to the issue on frontpage of mmo now?

Quote Originally Posted by Dakkomakko View Post
    Could it be related to the issue on frontpage of mmo now?
    I doubt it, it's been going on for quite a while. It's not fixate, it's just threat
    "Such insolence... such arrogance... must be PUNISHED!"

10+ Year Old Account
    I did that encounter on 10 man on my alt warlock in a PuG group the other day. 2 tanks for Magmaw, none on adds. We'd shadowfury and frostnova them and just bomb them for a moment. My bane of havoc on Magmaw during this was <3

Is your poor warlock demo, by any chance? That would at least explain why he's standing THAT close to Magmaw after the head-phase ended. He shouldn't do that. Nobody should be closer to Magmaw than the tank who is about to tank him. Big Wormy will just smash whatever stands closest to him in that moment, and from the way I've seen certain melees die over and over again, no taunting in the world will help against that. Magmaw kills faster than you can taunt him if people mess up their positioning.
    Last edited by Seriss; 2011-03-24 at 11:31 AM.

We had this problem the very first week. If you pay attention in the fight, aggro does get screwy with the exposed head. I'm the tank for our single tank raid fights and one thing that I've noticed is after an exposed head burn phase, my threat tends to get pushed down the meter. As soon as the burn phase is over though, it's easy fixed when I strafe over to the normal phase 1 tank spot and taunt, my threat piggybacks and goes up the meter to the top again.

Another thing I've noticed is on heroic Magmaw at least, myself and our paladin rotate reduced cooldown Hand of Protections on myself when I'm in the mouth as it mitigates a very large amount of damage (timed properly, the tank will take almost no damage during the mouth phase). This also messes with threat on the exposed head and Magmaw when things transition back to phase 1 and a taunt is a needed to jump back up on threat.

One last thing to add is our warlock tends to put up Bane of Havoc on Magmaw and then proceeds to dps the exposed head so that could also play an issue.

Hopefully these gave you some ideas on how to adjust your fight. Can't say for certain what your issue is without a lot more information. Best of luck to you.

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account
    Maybe he's DPS'ing the body and not the head?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Archimand View Post
    tell him to move out of melee range of magmaw and the tank will be in melee range ready to attack
    This. There's no reason to have ranged dps in melee range of magmaw.

when the exposed head phase ends he will often hit the closest player before the tank has time to get aggro, happened to my rogue fairly often before we figured it out it was ok i got to chill and watch them kill the boss for me

10+ Year Old Account
    Didn't know locks needed to be in magmaws hitbox to do damage rofl..what a joke..I know the OP's intention wasn't to troll but I feel very trolled.

Made by dubbelbasse

Quote Originally Posted by kushlol View Post
    Didn't know locks needed to be in magmaws hitbox to do damage rofl..what a joke..I know the OP's intention wasn't to troll but I feel very trolled.
    It's a tactic. Not saying that it's a good one, but it is a tactic that quite a few people use. Doing this means only a kiter will get hit by the Pillar of Flame.
    "Such insolence... such arrogance... must be PUNISHED!"

dots + standing in melee range
    the aggro resets or atleast acts wierdly after the burn phase and if you dont let the tank pick it up, you're gonna die

treat it as though magmaws agro resets after "exposed head" phase

1. tell the warlock to soul shatter, or otherwise stand further away
    2. tell the tank to taunt asap

edit: also, make sure the tank is targetting the exposed head while he is being munched on, that'll give the tank a nice aggro lead before magmaw gets impaled on the spike. the aggro issues are probably related to the amount of damage the exposed head takes which allows the heavy nukers to overaggro slightly, but as i suggested, there's 2 easy fixes
    Last edited by smokii; 2011-03-24 at 11:58 AM.

20 bucks says your tank isn't moving off the exposed head to the edge of the ledge just before the burn phase ends and he is getting the enrage. Which in turn targets your highest threat regardless of where they are standing. Should never need 2 tanks for this fight, frost DK, surv hunter, and w/e ranged dps you have should kite the adds and aoe them down. No reason for them to make it to the other side of the room. Remember after the exposed head phase it is a complete aggro dump, tank needs to be at ledge before that phase ends ready to taunt and build threat, and rogues/hunters should be ready w/ tricks/md.

Hello. My casual guild killed them the day before yesterdat for the 1st time and i can see what u mean. I myself (resto druid) took one or 2 hits when the boss comes up but as i pretty much saw every time, if u have 120k or 130k it WONT kill u. didnt kill me, didnt kill our mage didnt kill melee that was hit. Its still a strange hit that he does on a player but u should stay relaxed that with more gear and more HP the hit wont kill you?
    Btw... any resistance aura? dunno if spell is melee or fire.

Deleted
    As has been said a lot, dps and all that crap is irrelevant.

When the vurnability ends, make sure no one but the tank is within melee'ing range (to be safe, stand at least beyond the spike) or you might get melee'd. As a melee, I forgot it from time to time and got my face mashed in. I;ve heard talk of him hitting the one 'closest' but I think that doesn't matter.

In short, BEFORE the vurnability phase ends, GET OUT of melee.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceInc View Post
    when the boss stands up from "point of vulnerability" after being impaled, nothing we do stops him from focusing on this particular warlock killing him 9/10 times.
    As the solo tank for this fight in my guild, all I have to do is taunt as Magmaw goes back into standing position and I have his attention long enough to generate threat of my own again. The only time a DPS has died to Magmaw himself has been when I've been too slow at taunting, but you have about three or four seconds after his vulnerability phase to taunt before he attacks the highest-threat target.