Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account

Demonology questions

Hi, few simple questions:

1. If I put dots on a target and pop metamorph after, does the dots benefit from it? Or should I pop metamorph before doting up?
    2. Should I use soul burn on instant soul fires pre-decimation? (the spell priority in the sticky only states that you should use it IN decimation, which I find strange as the cast time already is reduced in decimation. Why not use it out of decimation to replace a shadow bolt?)
    3. Has Blizzard commented anything on the use of Succubus instead of Felguard on single target? Is that "intended"? (Having different pets for AoE and single target is kind of cool, but if soul burn is on cooldown when you need the felguard out you're kind of screwed, but this might be a keypoint to the answer to question 2.)

Thanks for constructive responses

1. DoTs now benefit from stats on a per-tick basis, so if you pop Metamorph halfway through corruption it'll update the damage for the remaining ticks.
    2. This isn't a definitive answer, but I tend to save Soulburns for movement-heavy fight phases in which I have a spare GCD.
    3. Not sure. I thought I saw a bluepost saying they were going to buff Felguard damage on single-target, but it might've just been wishful thinking.

10+ Year Old Account
    1.I believe this only works for some dots. What I do is wait for 1st trinket to proc, then I activate my meta with my 2nd trinket racial and everything else. I reapply bane of doom and corruption then do a hog. This refreshes all my dots and from what I have seen if you apply bane of doom after using meta it stays powered up the whole duration.
    2. You might as well its free damage.
    3. Your "supposed" to use fel guard as demo is what I think blizzard is trying to say with the new mana feed changes. However succy will still do more single target dps

1) I'm pretty sure all dots only gain damage increases on cast not on per tick, I saw this a while ago when I tested how much more damage I got when casting dots with procs. This was a while ago, so I'll double check and get back to you. Debuffs on your target though, such as CoE and S&F go by tick. I always pop meta before my dots because Immolation Aura has a very high DPET, higher than all dots except BoD though I tend to cast this after Immolation so it benefits from procs.
    2) I don't think it really matters. I tend to use it when moving or when in meta.

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lightgil View Post
    1.I believe this only works for some dots. What I do is wait for 1st trinket to proc, then I activate my meta with my 2nd trinket racial and everything else. I reapply bane of doom and corruption then do a hog. This refreshes all my dots and from what I have seen if you apply bane of doom after using meta it stays powered up the whole duration.
    What you're saying is that the dots benefits when refreshed (all of them). HoG refresh on immolate counts as a refresh, and it makes sense that this is the case. Haste works the same way, just wanted to be sure.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Khanjin View Post
    Hi, few simple questions:

1. If I put dots on a target and pop metamorph after, does the dots benefit from it? Or should I pop metamorph before doting up?
    Meta before Dotting but after using CoE. Player Buffs and Debuffs to them are applied on refresh/recasting, including through secondary effects like Fel Flame, Hand of Gul'dan and Haunt. Target Debuffs are applied per tick.
    2. Should I use soul burn on instant soul fires pre-decimation? (the spell priority in the sticky only states that you should use it IN decimation, which I find strange as the cast time already is reduced in decimation. Why not use it out of decimation to replace a shadow bolt?)
    Depends on the encounter. Either use them for movement or during Meta.
    3. Has Blizzard commented anything on the use of Succubus instead of Felguard on single target? Is that "intended"? (Having different pets for AoE and single target is kind of cool, but if soul burn is on cooldown when you need the felguard out you're kind of screwed, but this might be a keypoint to the answer to question 2.)

Thanks for constructive responses
    No comments, other than that they want Demonology to make use of all it's demons - I take that to mean they're probably happy with the current model, and us using shards to switch demons as appropriate in combat. The only single target/aoe reference was regarding Doomguards and Infernals in the last patch notes that buffed Doomguards.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenikoetsu View Post
    1. DoTs now benefit from stats on a per-tick basis, so if you pop Metamorph halfway through corruption it'll update the damage for the remaining ticks.
    2. This isn't a definitive answer, but I tend to save Soulburns for movement-heavy fight phases in which I have a spare GCD.
    3. Not sure. I thought I saw a bluepost saying they were going to buff Felguard damage on single-target, but it might've just been wishful thinking.
    False...procs and %dmg gains only affect dots after they have been casted and don't affect dots already on targets. Also you should be using instant soulfires on cd anyway and use fel flame while moving all the time. Idealy though you want to try and Sf adds close to death if the fight mechanics include adds so you can get decimation for a few seconds.

The only time current dots benefit from new procs,buffs and % damage gains is when they have been refreshed. Haste also works similarly on most dots

and @ Jessicka ..soulfires during movement is pretty meh you want to use it during procs or to get a quick decimation .Fel flame and shadowflame should be used while moving
    Last edited by kushlol; 2011-03-25 at 04:29 PM.

Made by dubbelbasse

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kushlol View Post
    and @ Jessicka ..soulfires during movement is pretty meh you want to use it during procs or to get a quick decimation .Fel flame and shadowflame should be used while moving
    As I say, depends on the encounter. Sometimes you'll want to save a shard to switch demons, or make use of another SB ability like Teleport on Conclave.