Gamecam, FRAPS, or what?

Which to get and why?

go!

fraps.... best out there by far
    Quote Originally Posted by Lackluster View Post
    True, but the difference is that in GTA3 you're only shooting (and robbing, murdering, having sex with, etc) pixels. In WOW you get the pleasure of dealing with some of the most despicable human behaviour you'll ever witness.
    To True.

I've never used anything other than Fraps so I can't give any criticism about other programs, but Fraps is really simple and easy to use (maybe too simple, it would be nice to be able to choose a specific resolution, but still!); it's really just turn it on, choose a directory, and hit record.

Deleted
    I also say Fraps.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Convertabull View Post
    can fraps do HD?
    I'm pretty sure Fraps records whatever resolution you are running. So lets say you are playing through HDMI @ 1900x1200, it should record it as that.

WeGame

I believe it's HD. Plus its unlimited filming and even more - its free.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can't comment on anything else, but I use Fraps and it's great.
    Digital Rumination
    Plays: Sylvanas EU - Fierae (Druid) | HotS | EVE | PUBG
    Played: Rift | Guild Wars 2 | SW:TOR | BF4 | Smite | LoL | Skyrim
    Ryzen 1920X - 32GB - 980Ti SLI - PCIE NVMe 1GB SSD - Enthoo Primo - Full WC - 4K

Quote Originally Posted by Ignorance View Post
    I'm pretty sure Fraps records whatever resolution you are running. So lets say you are playing through HDMI @ 1900x1200, it should record it as that.
    It records the game at the resolution you are running the game at, not your monitors.

10+ Year Old Account
    You get what u pay for... Frap's is THE best

Deleted
    WeGame is free, but you can only film in 320p or something. For higher quality you need to buy it. Fraps is the best for sure, but if your computer can't handle it, you're better off with WeGame.

Deleted
    Wegame decides to randomly stop working after a few weeks every time I try it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Also be sure you have enogh space on your computer for fraps.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Deleted
    Fraps. Just a fyi though, a 3 hour raid night takes about 150 gig of space. So keep that in mind. Make sure you have the space.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Descense View Post
    Also be sure you have enogh space on your computer for fraps.
    Anyone with less than 50gigs of HDD space theise days needs an upgrade asap :P

15+ Year Old Account
    Not long ago i also looked around for a screen recorder. Besides Fraps, i discovered BandiCam.

Advantages over Fraps:
    - Free choice of resolution (you can select from predefined typical resolutions or define your own)
    - Free choice of codec (you can use all codecs that are installed within the VfW interface.)

I only tried the demo version, but the results seem good. (demo version: watermark, 10 minute limit)
    The default setting is MPEG 1 codec at a high bitrate, which is a very good compromise between quality, processing power and file size. You lose some color brilliance compared to the original, but if you do not plan to make high-quality machinimas, the loss won't really matter.

- Typical file size with these settings (mpeg 1 at 80% quality, 1920x1200 resolution, 30fps) is 150-200 MB/min.
    - CPU usage: My pc (Intel i5-750, Radeon 5770, 12gig ram, WoW on SSD) had no problem recording at full resolution without dropping lower than 60fps while questing. I haven't tried it yet while in a city or in a raid.
    Last edited by Biernot; 2011-03-24 at 10:19 PM.
    Why do something simple, when there is a complicated way?
    Ryzen 7 2700X | BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 | 16GB DDR4-3200 | MSI X470 Gaming Pro | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G | 500GB / 750GB Crucial SSD
    Fractal Define C | LG 32UK550 | Das Model S Professional Silent | CM Storm Xornet

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    yep i have a quite a few 1080p vids on youtube using fraps.

http://www.youtube.com/user/MalooTakant?feature=mhum

edit: old videos are old

Death improves everyone's reputation...

I'm using bandicam right now. Its free, takes up alot less memory/cpu usage than fraps. Although the watermark is quite big and I still havent figured out how much it costs

Fraps is generally a better option if you can afford it and afford the toll it takes on your computer when recording

Mac wow client has built in fraps, let's you not record the UI while playing normally with it showing on your screen for that cinematic feel. Really the only reason I can think of to play wow on a mac, actually.