10+ Year Old Account

Suggest a mobo for the i5-2500K

Seeing as I have been waiting awhile to see the ASUS P8P67 Pro or even the Evo pop up, I have decided to see what other RELIABLE boards are out there. I would like the option of using SLI in the future as well as it needs to be an ATX board.

I am now pushing my time limit because I waited on the final suggestions from MMO and missed out on buying the Pro on TD sadly. And now the Hyper212+ went up in price. I do not want to lose the combo deal on the 2500K/Hyper212 and the 20 bucks off the ram I have chosen.

So is there any other board out there can suit my needs? Preferably a board that does not look like a child ate a bunch of crayons and puked on the board either :P

Budget: $200
    Last edited by Deafyx; 2011-03-25 at 02:30 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Any of the Asus P8P6 boards.
    I laughed at your "Child ate a bunch of crayons and puked on it." (Original comment by our very own ayako about Gigabyte boards.)
    Any MSI boards. (MSI, Asus, and Gigabyte being the 3 i'd consider.) Etc etc. This seems like a very cryptic post in my eyes, so if nothing else, just read the final parentheses.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzykins View Post
    I laughed at your "Child ate a bunch of crayons and puked on it." (Original comment by our very own ayako about Gigabyte boards.)
    Any MSI boards. (MSI, Asus, and Gigabyte being the 3 i'd consider.) Etc etc. This seems like a very cryptic post in my eyes, so if nothing else, just read the final parentheses.
    I actually read his post :P And obviously I agreed with his comment lol

Also, the only boards that were in my budget and offered the specs I wanted, were the Evo and the Pro.

15+ Year Old Account
    Buy the combo and get that deal, and just order the P8P67 Pro when it's in stock again?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nalle View Post
    Buy the combo and get that deal, and just order the P8P67 Pro when it's in stock again?
    That is an option, but having these parts sitting around...kills me. I guess if I do not get any suggestions that suit me, I will be forced to do that. I just do not know how long until I can actually find the board.

EDIT: I found a MSI P67A-GD65. Reviews were 50/50 for me. Although twice I saw people mention a problem with a GTX470 and this board. I own a GTX 470.

Can anyone reccomend some 8GB DDR3 Ram that will fit on a ATX Mobo with a i5 and a Hyper 212+? I am picky about the color, so its quite hard to find something to match the board but also fit.
    Last edited by Deafyx; 2011-03-25 at 02:32 AM.

I'm using the MSI P67A-GD65 and couldn't be happier. When the B3 boards started hitting the market a couple of weeks ago, MSI were the first ones out, and a lot of people that hadn't used them before went ahead and pulled the trigger. I was one of them.

Pretty much all of the reviews have been favorable (can't say the same for the ASUS boards). Check out the owners club thread on overclock.net

http://www.overclock.net/intel-mothe...ners-club.html

10+ Year Old Account
    Okay. I am going to drop the money into the MSI board. I would prefer an ASUS board but whatever. I am going between two different rams. The only difference as far as I can tell, is the one runs at 8-8-8-24 and the other 9-9-9-24. I have absolutley no idea what that does for me.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820145345

or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...scrollFullInfo

What do you guys think?

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzykins View Post
    I don't recall this post?

I'm using the ASUS P8P67 EVO, and couldn't be happier... I've pushed the 2500k to 5.00GHz on this board.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jartin View Post
    I'm using the ASUS P8P67 EVO, and couldn't be happier... I've pushed the 2500k to 5.00GHz on this board.
    Rub it in my face some more :P I can not find the Evo or the Pro in stock anywhere as of today.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanthem View Post
    Okay. I am going to drop the money into the MSI board. I would prefer an ASUS board but whatever. I am going between two different rams. The only difference as far as I can tell, is the one runs at 8-8-8-24 and the other 9-9-9-24. I have absolutley no idea what that does for me.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820145345

or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...scrollFullInfo

What do you guys think?
    In a nutshell...the lower the memory timings the higher the performance, hence the added cost.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by thepreacher View Post
    In a nutshell...the lower the memory timings the higher the performance, hence the added cost.
    Just curious, on your board, what kind of CPU/Cooler are you using. Im going with the lesser ram, but going for the Noctua. Would there be enough room for those?

I've got the MSI P67A-GD65 and i love it. Haven't done much overclocking yet, but will happen very soon.

Oh and it's very pretty

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Just don't ever use the MSI Windows based utility to set the power phases below 4. There's a few posts about people setting their boards to use 1 power phase (dumb idea), which causes the mosfets to blow up. Kinda dumb that MSI allows for this, but I guess anyone can kill their board/CPU or more with insane voltage settings.