Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1
    Bloodsail Admiral Chickensoup23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    egypt
    Posts
    1,195

    Good PC headset (can be expensive)

    Hello guys,

    I've been using the Steelseries Syberia v2 USB headset (with soundcard) for over a year, and they definitely set a high bar when it comes to audio/PC gaming sound. In my opinion, they're amazing, and one of the best pairs of headphones/headset ever made. There's a single cable, not too long, the headset is comfortable, the sound is amazing (especially the bass), and I'm currently looking for a replacement for those. If I can't find one by then, I'll simply buy another pair.

    I've checked, I think, every pair of headset available on the internet. I don't care if they're cheap, expensive, heavy, lightweight, I am currently in need of a new pair. Something I don't want: too many wires. Since my computer isn't far away like my Xbox is, I'd like 2 different wires at most. If they can be sleeved together it's fine also (if there's a few). Also, if it's wireless, it has to have an option where I can plug it in when I need the power (ex: Logitech G930).

    Example of headsets I checked and didn't like due to to factors I listed; Astro A40 (even thought they sound awesome, WAYYY too many cables), Tritton headsets (if I recall, they aren't very expensive for PC so I wouldn't expect anything really exceptional out of it. Highest PC one is 95$ @ Newegg.)

    Note: Some headsets are for PC/Xbox/PS3, so even thought they look nice for all consoles, they aren't optimized for the PC, so sometimes they don't have drivers or software. My current headset (Syberia v2) has a software, and I can tweak what I like (equalizer, amplifier, 7.1, bass, etc).

    TL;DR - Any ideas? I'm also open to headphones + mic. Yes, the recommended headset can be VERY expensive, I don't have a set budget for those. I just need quality.


    EDIT: Any comments on the Psyko 5.1 headset? It looks sick, new design if I recall.

  2. #2
    I was rocking the logitech g35 but them I broke them so I bought the logitech g930z. It's light weight, ccomfortable, durable and wireless. The sound is amazing but the battery life is kinda short. You get about 10 hours per charge. Overall this thing is a solid piece of gear that should be looked at by any gamer

  3. #3
    Bloodsail Admiral Chickensoup23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    egypt
    Posts
    1,195
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion71483 View Post
    I was rocking the logitech g35 but them I broke them so I bought the logitech g930z. It's light weight, ccomfortable, durable and wireless. The sound is amazing but the battery life is kinda short. You get about 10 hours per charge. Overall this thing is a solid piece of gear that should be looked at by any gamer
    It's for all consoles, so I'm not sure how good it works with the PC. I've also head good things about it. How is the bass?

  4. #4
    Plantronic Gamecon 777 headset, the last pair I used till I broke em accidently, now I have a fairly cheap pair from logitech that works pretty well. Eventually I want to go back to something at least this good if not better.

  5. #5
    I'm currently using the Razer Charcarias (mainstream, f**k yes). Anyways, I find the actual sound part of the headset to be really a nice, at least compared to some creative fnatic headset I used to have. The bass is, as you wished for, insane. The ear muffs contain your whole ear easily and comfortably, and the top bar rests nicely ontop of your head. A few things I do not like though, is for one the adaptability, if you may. The sliders on the side move up and down way too easy, so sometimes I have to keep pushing them down to keep the headset from becoming too wide, minor problem IMO but still annoying from times. The other part I dislike is the huge cord, or I can't really say I dislike it....it does come in handy at many a times, but I find myself having it wrapped around me to prevent my chair from rolling over it.

    If you don't care about price, the Megalodon is supposedly superior in sound quality (I think the looks and comfort are quite the same) with more tuning options, but is at around $100 more last time I checked. As far as software go I do not know, but considering the price it should have some improvements other than just sound quality.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zamiel View Post
    Simple question what healer gives you personally the biggest headache in pvp?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobajobjob View Post
    I play a ret paladin, so my answer is this:

    Yes.

  6. #6
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16826106392

    Amazing sound quality for the price. Fuck the headsets, especially anything with "game" or "gaming" in it, if you want some real sound quality.

    ---------- Post added 2011-03-25 at 09:10 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by RodneyStanger View Post
    I'm currently using the Razer Charcarias (mainstream, f**k yes). Anyways, I find the actual sound part of the headset to be really a nice, at least compared to some creative fnatic headset I used to have. The bass is, as you wished for, insane. The ear muffs contain your whole ear easily and comfortably, and the top bar rests nicely ontop of your head. A few things I do not like though, is for one the adaptability, if you may. The sliders on the side move up and down way too easy, so sometimes I have to keep pushing them down to keep the headset from becoming too wide, minor problem IMO but still annoying from times. The other part I dislike is the huge cord, or I can't really say I dislike it....it does come in handy at many a times, but I find myself having it wrapped around me to prevent my chair from rolling over it.

    If you don't care about price, the Megalodon is supposedly superior in sound quality (I think the looks and comfort are quite the same) with more tuning options, but is at around $100 more last time I checked. As far as software go I do not know, but considering the price it should have some improvements other than just sound quality.
    Anything is good compared to creative "gaming" crap like fnatic/fatal1ty and crap like that.

  7. #7
    Razer Megalodon.
    Why?

    Very comfy
    7.1 Surround
    range from 20 to 20,000 kHz
    automatic noise filtering from the mic
    Nifty little block to control all volume levels for mic as well as output
    and its extremely robust, it can take a good beating since Razer knows that gamers will throw their gear around from time to time. :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Nudi View Post
    I got 99 problems, but a totem ain't one.

  8. #8
    Bloodsail Admiral Chickensoup23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    egypt
    Posts
    1,195
    ***I've had alot of replies/msgs about Sennheiser headsets.

    I like them, but from all the pairs I tried, the bass is definitely lacking compared to other headsets/headphones. I know thought that the sound is AMAZING and clear, but still, lack of bass. It's more for acoustics.

    I'm also an audiophile, and I want/need bass just as much as I need clear and loud sound.
    Last edited by Chickensoup23; 2011-03-25 at 07:28 AM.

  9. #9
    Stood in the Fire Optimist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    At the keyboard
    Posts
    360
    http://us.store.creative.com/Sound-B...B002J9HCV0.htm

    I was using some old no-name brands before these, and so far I have been pleased. Not overly expensive and they have surround sound, gets the job done for a decent price

  10. #10
    Bloodsail Admiral Chickensoup23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    egypt
    Posts
    1,195
    Quote Originally Posted by Tandurin View Post
    Razer Megalodon.
    Why?

    Very comfy
    7.1 Surround
    range from 20 to 20,000 kHz
    automatic noise filtering from the mic
    Nifty little block to control all volume levels for mic as well as output
    and its extremely robust, it can take a good beating since Razer knows that gamers will throw their gear around from time to time. :P
    A close friend of mine owns the carcharias, and I know they're pretty good for their price. If the Megalodon is a step above, they're definitely worth looking into.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Cynth View Post
    Plantronic Gamecon 777 headset, the last pair I used till I broke em accidently, now I have a fairly cheap pair from logitech that works pretty well. Eventually I want to go back to something at least this good if not better.
    I'm actually using a pair of Plantronic's right now(GameCom PRO 1, have had them for about 2 years or so) and haven't had too many complaints with their product, well besides the foam pads that go around the ear falling off(had to glue them on a few times...) and the mic randomly muting itself but overall not a bad set to work with.

  12. #12
    i'm VERY happy with my Logitech G935 headset (or is it called G930?)

    anyways, its wireless 7.1 surround headset. You can control each little speaker individually!

    Has a very long charger cable. Which also acts like an usb hub for whatever else you could need to charge up, i use mine for my iphone and USB memory stick.

    the headsets "hanger" or whatever its called is made from aluminum. something i think is VERY nice. Before i got this i had the wow headset, which broke, because it was cheap crappy plastic (the store even said it was a common problem)
    The mic is turned off when you flip up the mic. and its automatically on ofc, when you flip it down again.

    i can say 2 negative things about this headset:
    the little pillow on the hanger could have been a bit better!
    and the headset aint the widest, so if you got a HUUUUUUUUUGE head like me, it can be kinda soar to wear around the ears for hours and hours.

    But the sound is awesome, and the mic is very nice quality too.
    I always wanted a ventrilo push to talk button on my headset. now i got that too! i can still talk on vent during raids, when im afk :P

    i paid around 200$ for mine, but thats here in little Denmark. You can prolly find it cheaper just about anywhere else in the world.
    In Memorial of the Sword Guy

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Chickensoup23 View Post
    ***I've had alot of replies/msgs about Sennheiser headsets.

    I like them, but from all the pairs I tried, the bass is definitely lacking compared to other headsets/headphones. I know thought that the sound is AMAZING and clear, but still, lack of bass. It's more for acoustics.

    I'm also an audiophile, and I want/need bass just as much as I need clear and loud sound.

    Just curious about your experience with Sennheiser. They are probably one of the best headphone makers out there. Most "audiophile" headphones require a sound card with a built in amp or an external amp. Unless they are usb.

    edit: but I'm not a bass junky, I like to hear the full range of what I'm listening to, pretty much every headset I've tried can't produce a proper range if they are a bass heavy set.
    Last edited by dicertification; 2011-03-25 at 07:44 AM.

  14. #14
    Bloodsail Admiral Chickensoup23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    egypt
    Posts
    1,195
    Quote Originally Posted by Nioxic View Post
    i can still talk on vent during raids, when im afk :P
    Wow, never thought about that.

  15. #15
    Sennheiser PC350, exspensive, but so damn good. Can wear them for hours and still comfortable, even if you have glasses.


    http://ncix.com/products/index.php?s...%20Electronics


    Edit: Also if you have a tv with an AV receiver, it's like having a home theater system on your head when you use them. Playing PS3 with these things hooked up to my Receiver is ungodly.

  16. #16
    http://www.turtlebeach.com/ cant go wrong they make the best of the best imo

  17. #17
    Bloodsail Admiral Chickensoup23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    egypt
    Posts
    1,195
    Quote Originally Posted by dicertification View Post
    Just curious about your experience with Sennheiser. They are probably one of the best headphone makers out there. Most "audiophile" headphones require a sound card with a built in amp or an external amp. Unless they are usb.
    Oh, Sennheisers are EXCELLENT headphones and make high quality sound. For instance, I tried my first Sennheiser pair while listening to Bruce Springsteen's "Girls In Their Cummer Clothes" , and as you may know, it has ALOT of different instruments, acoustics, vocals, and such, and the only place where I heard sound this good before was with from the Bose headphones I burrowed from a friend.

    Sennheiser make some of the best headphones, but they lack bass. I'm also a DJ and I make SOME (not a pro, here again) mixing on this computer, so I'm looking for something with decent quality WITH bass. I also use some Beats Pro for when I'm DJing at home, the quality is great, but they're priced higher than they should.

    So I'm still looking for a headset. Does not need to be "gaming" headset, just need good sound/bass, with a decent mic.

    ---------- Post added 2011-03-25 at 03:50 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Criptos View Post
    Sennheiser PC350, exspensive, but so damn good. Can wear them for hours and still comfortable, even if you have glasses.


    http://ncix.com/products/index.php?s...%20Electronics

    Edit: Also if you have a tv with an AV receiver, it's like having a home theater system on your head when you use them. Playing PS3 with these things hooked up to my Receiver is ungodly.
    Bass is lacking, there again...
    Read MANY, MANY reviews of those, and apparently they're amazing. But they're for strictly gaming, it seems..

  18. #18
    Did you use the Senns on the computer or a mixing board? Most high end headphones with larger drivers have a higher impedance requiring more power to move the diaphragm effectively. This will have a huge effect on the base levels.

  19. #19
    Bloodsail Admiral Chickensoup23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    egypt
    Posts
    1,195
    Quote Originally Posted by dicertification View Post
    Did you use the Senns on the computer or a mixing board? Most high end headphones with larger drivers have a higher impedance requiring more power to move the diaphragm effectively. This will have a huge effect on the base levels.
    Yea, of course, since I tried the PC 360's while gaming (higher-end headset). I know which effect you're talking about...on my iPod, my Beats Pro's bass sounds like shit. With my sound card and equalizer, on my PC, it makes my whole head shake :P

    So you're saying that with an equalizer (ex; the one in the control panel) it should make them have bass? Is there any drivers available as well, for them?

    Thanks,
    Chicken

  20. #20
    From my experience Sennheisers have a very good bass, you just need a proper mic amp

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •