Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Ubuntu 11.04 - Natty Narwhal

Any Linux/Ubuntu users out there? Just curious to see what you all think about the Unity Desktop coming up soon (May isn't it?). I haven't personally got to try it out myself, but I think the current release is Alpha 3, and according to Jono Bacon (Ubuntu community manager) the next release will be the first Beta build. I have seen a few videos of people using it, and it does look kind of interesting. I also like how if it determines you can't use Unity (or I imagine if you choose not to) it switches back to the Gnome panels.

Your thoughts?
    Last edited by Zolgar; 2011-03-25 at 09:01 AM.
    "I can't take HIS money... I can't print MY OWN money... I have to work for money, why don't I just lay down and die?" - Homer Simpson

Steam: Zolgar
    360: Thumbtack Jayk

I'm waiting for the beta before I test it. As for the Unity...
    I think it looks nice, but it might take some time to get used to it. If you don't like it you can switch back to the old Gnome or even install KDE.
    Last edited by haxartus; 2011-03-25 at 12:09 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    I usually give new major Ubuntu releases a try for kicks, since it's the only Linux OS that has any chance of being a real contender in the desktop space.
    red panda red panda red panda!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Asera View Post
    I usually give new major Ubuntu releases a try for kicks, since it's the only Linux OS that has any chance of being a real contender in the desktop space.
    It really is. Honestly, if WINE was a more viable option, or if more gaming companies would develop for Linux (like ID used to do), it'd be seeing WAY more users than it is today.
    "I can't take HIS money... I can't print MY OWN money... I have to work for money, why don't I just lay down and die?" - Homer Simpson

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zolgar View Post
    It really is. Honestly, if WINE was a more viable option, or if more gaming companies would develop for Linux (like ID used to do), it'd be seeing WAY more users than it is today.
    Of course AMD's shitty OpenGL support in their video drivers doesn't help either. If you want to game under linux, you pretty much have to own an nVidia card. That's pushing a lot of people out of the linux picture as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz View Post
    Of course AMD's shitty OpenGL support in their video drivers doesn't help either. If you want to game under linux, you pretty much have to own an nVidia card. That's pushing a lot of people out of the linux picture as well.
    That's interesting. I was not even aware of that.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zolgar View Post
    That's interesting. I was not even aware of that.
    Throw in a Radeon and try to run Linux. Lol.

I throw in my old noisy 7600GT when I try Ubuntu out.

Bloodsail Admiral WaitingforSWTOR's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Who really cares about Ubuntu anyways? Android will eclipse it as the next GNU OS for computers in the near future, remember this words

Not because its better, just because its more popular (the ugly truth)

Quote Originally Posted by WaitingforSWTOR View Post
    Who really cares about Ubuntu anyways? Android will eclipse it as the next GNU OS for computers in the near future, remember this words

And iOS will eclipse Mac OS

15+ Year Old Account
    ...and then anyone who actually wants to accomplish something on their computer will use Windows?

I'm cool with that.

Deleted
    ...and then anyone who actually wants to accomplish something on their computer will use Windows?

I'm cool with that.
    This.

Also this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykwqXuMPsoc

Ubuntu has come a long way in being useful in the past ~5 years or so, if only more software worked with Linux it might be more popular.

10+ Year Old Account

I'm cool with that.
    Actually, if you develop any kind of server-oriented application then you would be a fool not to develop on Linux. Windows is great for end-users and non-technical users in companies, but for anything that requires a bit more "oomph" you would use Linux.

Also, keep your Linux bashing out of this thread. It does nothing to further the conversation nor is it true or productive. If you don't like Linux, don't comment in the thread or at least give some constructive criticisim.'

OT: I am thinking of trying out the new release, I'll probably be installing on my old computer when I get my new one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wait, didn't 10.10 just come out?

Funny, though I've chosen Ubuntu Server as my Linux flavor for almost* every web server I've ever used to host things, I've yet to actually use Ubuntu Desktop. Maybe I'll give it a shot.

*We use RHEL at work, and I tried Windows Server 2003 ONCE.

Quote Originally Posted by Tikaru View Post
    Wait, didn't 10.10 just come out?
    New versions of Ubuntu come out every 6 months. 10.10 was released October 2010 and 11.04 is going to be released by the end of this April.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by h44mm00 View Post
    Actually, if you develop any kind of server-oriented application then you would be a fool not to develop on Linux. Windows is great for end-users and non-technical users in companies, but for anything that requires a bit more "oomph" you would use Linux.

Also, keep your Linux bashing out of this thread. It does nothing to further the conversation nor is it true or productive. If you don't like Linux, don't comment in the thread or at least give some constructive criticisim.'

OT: I am thinking of trying out the new release, I'll probably be installing on my old computer when I get my new one.
    I was actually mocking a post where some fool said a mobile OS will eclipse a desktop OS in the desktop market...?

Also, for the record:

http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/today/top.avg.html

10.10 user here, looking forward to it.

Deleted
    I'm not looking forward to Unity. Not one bit.

Arrow Android Eclipse...

Quote Originally Posted by WaitingforSWTOR View Post

Haha, last i heard, Android is a by-product of the Linux Kernel.