Fire Mage in need of help/advice

Hello everyone,

I need some advice/help on how to increase my DPS overall. The name of my mage is Tylandra and I'm on US Mannoroth (can't post URLs apparently since I need to post a few times first).

The first obvious glaring issue is that, in comparison to the people I've run with lately, I'm significantly undergeared. I am a little bit late to raiding in this expansion, but I know that within the next week or so I should have 2 immediate upgrades coming: Darkmoon Card: Volcano and Band of Secret Names. I'm fairly certain my enchants and gems are the correct ones (I know the shoulder one isn't the best but it's a blue and when I upgrade I'll upgrade that enchant). I have read up on the forums of many sites as to how to "properly" DPS a fight, but I still seem to be falling short. My rotation so far has been: Scorch first (get up Critical Mass since no lock in group), Living Bomb, spam Fireball, throw in Flame Orb when it's up, Pyroblast! when it procs, and Combustion when all 3 DoTs are up.

Thank you any and all for taking your time in helping me out.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tylandra View Post
    Hello everyone,

I need some advice/help on how to increase my DPS overall. The name of my mage is Tylandra and I'm on US Mannoroth (can't post URLs apparently since I need to post a few times first).

The first obvious glaring issue is that, in comparison to the people I've run with lately, I'm significantly undergeared. I am a little bit late to raiding in this expansion, but I know that within the next week or so I should have 2 immediate upgrades coming: Darkmoon Card: Volcano and Band of Secret Names. I'm fairly certain my enchants and gems are the correct ones (I know the shoulder one isn't the best but it's a blue and when I upgrade I'll upgrade that enchant). I have read up on the forums of many sites as to how to "properly" DPS a fight, but I still seem to be falling short. My rotation so far has been: Scorch first (get up Critical Mass since no lock in group), Living Bomb, spam Fireball, throw in Flame Orb when it's up, Pyroblast! when it procs, and Combustion when all 3 DoTs are up.

Thank you any and all for taking your time in helping me out.
    using combustionhelper i'll assume?
    Lokann ogar!
    /brofist
    lotharion: "inserting the Lich King as a scooby doo villain didn't exactly make him scary in the slightest."

Here are his logs: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/fig4n8jj67ny4vit/

Here is his armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...andra/advanced

---------- Post added 2011-03-25 at 02:04 PM ----------

I suggested to Tylandra that he ask for some advice here, as I read your board pretty regularly and think the mages here at MMO tend to give some pretty solid advice. I'm the guild leader of a guild that he is applying to. He would like to be a core raider. We do outgear him a bit and are keeping that in mind. But, we're interested to know if his numbers can get higher. Hopefully the reports I posted will help.

Thanks!

Deleted
    Taken a look, at a few fights... LB uptime seems to be somewhat low into 50%-ish sometimes... aim for 80+ even 90+ uptime on LB

As a mage your "up time" of casting should be a bit higher (nearer to 100 instead of 90% of the time, though that might be a result of deaths as I didnt always check that.

I did notice you died to Cauterize a few times, this is supposed to save your life not kill you.... Pop mage ward/mana shield, Iceblock, failing those CRY nay SCREAM for heals on vent .... Cauterize shouldnt kill you generaly speaking

Spec looks fine, perhaps swap some of the major glyphs out ....
    Poly glyph shouldnt be needed in current raiding at all
    Blink glyph meh... somethimes yeah 5 yards can make a difference...
    My choices are Blast wave + 1 sec slow (i.e. usefull on Neff/Cho gall adds) and Fire breath (reduced cd)

As for your rotation, dont scorch to start, Hard and pre-cast pyroblast... It too puts the debuff on the boss but does more damage and place the dot for potential early combustion.... While on combustion, yeah all 3 dots up, but preverably after a nice Pyro/FB 30+k crit which you seem to be more or less doing your combustions seem to be 5k+ ticks so not TOO bad but may need some more attention.

As for gems...
    Inferno ruby in the belt 20 added int for 30 hit... should prove a slight increase in dps

Other than above, dont see to much myself... GL on the app and your new guild as well as Heroics...

Namliam, thanks for the good advice.