Poll: What do you prefer?

Preference of 10s vs 25s

My guild does strictly 10 mans, but I ran a few pugs last week healing for 25 mans and I realized that I absolutely hate healing in 25 man raids but healing in 10 mans is awesome. I don't know why there is this difference but I was wondering how the community in general feels about these two different modes. Here are a few of the things that bugged me about 25s:

Personal responsibility seems to go out the window. On most of the encounters there were a small handful of players that would just fail horribly at the mechanics but the fight was still doable. In 10s usually if more than one person died it would be a wipe, especially if it was a healer/tank. One thing coming to mind was on chogall a tank dying 3 times and repeatedly battle ressing, and it was still one shot. (yes I know I was healing so that makes it partially my responsibility but we didn't have any "healing assignments" so there was some confusion on who was to focus healing on tanks during add phases).

Playstyle - I had to heal completely different than I usually do. I couldn't utilize my mastery bonus because there was just too many targets to heal. It seemed like blanket rejuv and wg on CD was the only optimal healing strategy. If there were problems the only answer was to spam more rejuv. In 10s the fights seem much more dynamic - I had to pay attention to who other healers were healing, when to focus on raid, when to focus tanks, when I could slow down and allow some regen.

Division of responsibility - I don't pay "too" much attention to the intricate details of encounters unless its one that is "progression" and we wipe a ton on - but it seems in 10s everyone has to be better at their class and perform the role of multiple players. If someone needs to do interrupts, thats all they need to do for the fight. If someone needs to raid heal, thats all they need to do is spam raid. If someone is tanking a particular mob, all they need to do is worry about their mob. If you don't have anything "to do" all you need to do is spam your rotation until the boss is dead, completely oblivious to what is going on. In 10s there is not the luxury of being able to devote a spot to one specialized role. If you can't use an interrupt focus macro on halfus while dpsing appropriate targets, the raid will not have the dps needed to get through it. It seems individual ability to play their class to their fullest use doesn't mean much in 25s.

This is purely from a healing perspective. It seems that aside from more loot/VP, there is no real reason for me to do 25 man content.

The Lightbringer eternalwhitemoon's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I prefer 10s because they're more personal. It's easier to become friends and care about 9 other people and their progress than 24.

I personally find 10 Heroic to be more intense in terms of healing and personal responsibility. I like this.

However, let's not turn this into a "which is harder" thread. Remember the OP is asking what you, personally, PREFER. No flames please.

I myself have always enjoyed the teamwork and coordination aspect of 25 mans. I do enjoy doing 10 mans on my alts on off days with a close group of friends, but I'm a 25 man raider at heart.

10 is more personal and less to deal with. 25 is just too many people! I can't even imagine what 40 was like back in the day (not my day).

I get a warm fuzzy feeling when 24 other people are helping me take down things. 40 mans were awesome back in the day. I am a raid leader and GM, yeah logistically its a big pain in the ass compared to 10s but I like having 24 other people having fun with me rather than just 9. Think about: Big fun party vs. smaller fun party. More the merrier!

I prefer 25-mans, especially in the beginning of a heroic tier when you tend to need every single player. They feel more grand when you have a big bunch of people working on a single challenge in comparison to just a small handful.

After awhile you can adopt a notably sloppier playstyle and it loses its glory, but that's when you start looking forward to the next ier.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think the problem may be that it was a pug. Even if everyone already knew the fights from their own guild, each guild plays differently

But yes, I feel like 25 on opposite to 10 seem like a big mess. But I still have fun

Deleted
    25 man raid-content is better balanced in Catalcysm but on a personal level I prefer 10 man raiding. The atmosphere is just more personal and you feel more like a dirty dozen than an army.

However, from a game-design point of view, I don't think it's wise to balance the game around 10 man raids. They vary too much in class distribution and tool-set. I think Blizzard would do well if they abandoned the 10 man raiding model and replaced it with 15 man raids instead.

25 man feels more epic, since 10 is just like a bigger dungeon
    but guess what, i love the casual feel of 10 mans with extreme challenges at time

P.s. My guild isnt raiding @ the moment, so /sad

Thx to Isilrien for the awesome sig

I'm all in favour of the 10s myself.
    1. Easier to manage, as a raid leader.
    2. I spent 4/5ths of Classic raiding 6 days a week, 4+ hrs a night, smashing face with 39 others in BWL, AQ40, and Naxx (Four Horsemen killed pre-2.0, only guild on Dalaran-US to do it) I'm sick of it.

The guild I worked to found for Cataclysm, actually turned out well, for the most part. Short-handed slightly on healers and tanks (2 MTs, 1 OT, 3 MHs, 1 OH), but otherwise, doing well. Seem to be adding at least 1 new boss a week to our list of kills (this week was Valiona & Theralion. Yes, I know we are lagging behind, we had a slow start).

15+ Year Old Account
    I prefer 10 man but lately i've been biting the bitter pill that is that 1 person can totally fuck the rest of your raid

10+ Year Old Account
    I prefer 10 man raids, since the people I play with in those raids are people I know for 3 years now mostly, some new people but we get along fine. Also, having done 25 man raiding in Wrath, I personally didn't enjoy it as much as our main-people 10man runs for achievements during Naxxramas/Ulduar days.

-Credit to Mythriz for the signature and avatar!

25- simply more epic, you can choose every posible buff/debuff, you have better utility.
    10 mans really lack the ppl, you dont have Druid? well you better wait till 4.1 do let other classes have CR, no frostmage for Nefarian? Better luck next time.

10 mans feel really restricted and limiting while 25 have epicness and dynamic. My guild have finally 25 raids and that change is really noticable on the experience.

Deleted
    10 is more fun for me personally. I can have a laugh, and not have to be TOO harsh with people in terms of rules etc.

Deleted
    25s are nice now and then but as with most here 10 just feels comfier as you're more closer with a small group

Cannot stand 25, how I used to do 40 for two years blows me away.