Nefarian, calculating damage resisted

My 10m group recently began putting in unsuccessful attempts on Nefarian (mostly problems kiting adds in phase 1).

I was looking at our logs for two recent nights of raiding, specifically at Electrocute damage. I've noticed on nights where I run as Discipline more (and more absorbs in the raid), the amount of damage resisted is less than when I run as Holy. Average amount of damage resisted on a Crackle when I'm Holy is about 20% higher than when I'm Discipline.

My question is about how damage/absorbs/resists are calculated. Does the game calculate the amount resisted as a fraction of the total damage or does it calculate the amount resisted as a fraction of the damage after absorbs? If the latter is true, it's a penalty for me to be Disc as the resists are taken from a smaller number after my shields are calculated. I'd rather benefit from a larger resist and heal up raw damage as Holy than work with pre-shields, a subsequently smaller resist, then healing up the difference.

Ugh, sorry if this isn't clear. Thanks for any guidance here!

If you want to muddle through logs, the guild is at http://www.worldoflogs.com/guilds/101718/

When you were holy, the hunter in your group was using aspect of the wild. When you were disc, the hunter was not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    "The problem with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are real." ~Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by chaztheweird View Post
    When you were holy, the hunter in your group was using aspect of the wild. When you were disc, the hunter was not.
    ^this

Anyhow, disc is by far a better choice than holy anyway. The Absorb added from shields may exceed maximum hp, where as heals may not. This is really helpful when you're dealing with electricute. Also Power Word: Barrier when on platforms in p2 will help mitegate alot of damage from nefarian on your platform, allowing you some much needed time to get mana back.