Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Nozrek View Post
    60 Gb? That's 7.5 GB, don't you mean 60 GB?

But can't you divide the Windows system files (needed for booting) and the other files between 2 drives?
    Like Prixie said, the basic Windows files + WoW shouldn't take more than 60 GB, so my guess is 120 GB would be more than needed.
    No need to be a twat, mate. When I was building PCs twelve years ago, the convention was Gb. I've just never bothered being specific, and do you know why? Everyone knows what you're talking about based on context, and if there is an ambiguity you're sure to use the specific term from the word go. Only morons don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Prixie View Post
    The SSD's ability to rapidly access random bits on the drive is vastly superior to sustained read/write speeds on RAID drives. Sure, frapsing on SSD's is retarded since they're a lot more expensive $/GB, but for games they're a lot better.
    Oh definately. As i said, i've got both SSD and RAID. I'll go into my results further (since all my posts today before now were on my mobile during work breaks).

SSD is good for read. It's the best for random read and even a RAID-0 with 4 10K RPM HDD's would struggle to keep up on random read operations.
    A single 7200 RPM HDD will be VASTLY superior on random write speeds to an SSD.
    Sequential read on a 7200 RPM HDD will often be close to an SSD.

When you RAID-0 on a good controller with 2 HDD's, you'll be able to push up your write speeds even further. Your sequential read speeds will often rise way above an SSD in these circumstances too. Your Random Read speeds will still be below an SSD.

The reason SSD's are superior, as many already know, is the sub 1ms access rates. A HDD, being a mechanical device, will have an access time of between 7ms and 18ms (dependant on drive model, health, RPM, and configuration). Therefore, an SSD can output some VERY crazy IOPS numbers (in the region of 60K+).

It's most likely a bug related to running a RAID, but HD Tune Pro reports around 5.5GB/s burst read rate for the RAID, while the SSD is down at 162MB/s.

What SSD's suffer from, some quite badly, is that as they fill up, their random read speeds can drop dramatically. This is probably a bug with HD Tune Pro, but my SSD is reporting access times of > 10ms. Likewise, it also won't allow me to perform that test until i first try it on the RAID. Quite possible it's not actually performing the test on the SSD.
    Last edited by Synthaxx; 2011-03-27 at 09:46 PM.
    Ex-coder, gamer - Stepped away from dev.
    Done/Planned: Leedsfest 2014, Mallory Knox (Nov 2014), Some surprises | Upcoming: Soundwave (Feb 2015)
    Awaiting UK/EU tour dates: Of Mice and Men, Jimmy Eat World, Architects (>Mar. 2015)
    Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    If NSA is building my profile from tonight's "browsing habits", they're in for a treat: women with three breasts, men with two penises, fake nipples...

Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    When you RAID-0 on a good controller with 2 HDD's, you'll be able to push up your write speeds even further. Your sequential read speeds will often rise way above an SSD in these circumstances too. Your Random Read speeds will still be below an SSD.
    Only if you use first gen shit SSD. Last year's SSDs with Sandforce chip goes way past even 10k rpm RAID0 in sustained reads and writes.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Only if you use first gen shit SSD. Last year's SSDs with Sandforce chip goes way past even 10k rpm RAID0 in sustained reads and writes.
    It's a Vertex II i have. Stories of it being "stealth nerfed" and being sold as the same, more powerful drive are what i'm concerned with. Still, real world performance is all that matters in the end.
    Ex-coder, gamer - Stepped away from dev.
    Done/Planned: Leedsfest 2014, Mallory Knox (Nov 2014), Some surprises | Upcoming: Soundwave (Feb 2015)
    Awaiting UK/EU tour dates: Of Mice and Men, Jimmy Eat World, Architects (>Mar. 2015)
    Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    If NSA is building my profile from tonight's "browsing habits", they're in for a treat: women with three breasts, men with two penises, fake nipples...

I am only using 31.8 gigs and that is with Window's, WoW, Norton,PC Wizard,Vent,CCleaner...What that''s all you need right. I would go cheap and get a 60gig and use your same drive for music or whatever useless crap u got on there.

Quote Originally Posted by skarsguard View Post
    I am only using 31.8 gigs and that is with Window's, WoW, Norton,PC Wizard,Vent,CCleaner...What that''s all you need right. I would go cheap and get a 60gig and use your same drive for music or whatever useless crap u got on there.
    What version of Windows?

Can you take a picture of your http://windirstat.info/?

Quote Originally Posted by ayako View Post
    What version of Windows?

Can you take a picture of your http://windirstat.info/?
    Windows xp 32 bit but my friend just brought me windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit a few hours ago. I am just dreading re downloading wow and patches.

---------- Post added 2011-03-27 at 07:18 PM ----------

Damn you really O'cd your I7 to 5.21g is it stable or is it about to blow up any minute.

This is my 24/7 clock. Its probably going to die in 3 years but by then the new chips I want will be out.