10+ Year Old Account

Computer for a Friend

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1D4MFW
    My friend's laptop is a P.O.S. so he's thinking about purchasing a new one. The thing is, it has to be under $1000 dollars to even consider it. He has no idea how to, and doesn't plan to overclock at all. With that in mind, I was comfortable recommending the default heatsink and the cheapest motherboard I could find. I wanted to give him a powerful GPU, since he wants to run Crysis 2, Team Fortress 2, Garry's Mod, and World of Warcraft. (Not that anything but Crysis 2 are even remotely demanding on the GPU...) I recommended him the cheapest CoolerMaster 80+ power supply. (None of that extreme gear shit.) I got him the AMD/ATI 5770 1GB GPU, as it's a solid GPU by AMD that will perform well and is decently cheap on CyberPower.

If anyone has any better recommendations, this falls in at $989.90 with the delayed 5% discount shipping. Getting it as close to $1000 is ideal, as I wouldn't want to drop under 999.99 and lose the discount option. (He is willing to wait as long as it takes for the computer, so I might as well save him money for his willingness.)

Since you know how to, couldn't you do it for him? (Overclock)

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1D4MJH

This is what i came up with just messing around for a few min, after the no rush code it comes out to $1004

if your looking at something like this it will be better just to go to new egg and build one your self, you end up with a lot more options and less of a markup on parts.
    Last edited by Volroth; 2011-03-27 at 10:56 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    Knowing Blizz, the graphic settings will be able to be tuned down to play on a microwave oven.

10+ Year Old Account
    I thought about building him one myself, but I'm not sure he'll fulfill his side of paying me for the parts.

---------- Post added 2011-03-27 at 06:20 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Volroth View Post
    http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1D4MJH

This is what i came up with just messing around for a few min, after the no rush code it comes out to $1004

if your looking at something like this it will be better just to go to new egg and build one your self, you end up with a lot more options and less of a markup on parts.
    Err- AMD processors are a no-go. I know they're great for budget builds, but I'm not comfortable giving an AMD over an i5 2500 if he wants it for WoW.

Easily remedied by taking the pay in advance.

That or having him order the parts, and assembling it with him. Could be some good male-bonding time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ayako View Post
    Easily remedied by taking the pay in advance.

That or having him order the parts, and assembling it with him. Could be some good male-bonding time.
    Sounds homoerotic. Anywhoo, it's a 3 hour drive to Chicago, which is where he lives. Not spending that much time on the road to build a computer for a friend. Heh.