Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Another "low FPS problem" thread

Hi guys, this almost one of my firsts posts, even if I have always been reading this forum.
    So, at the title says, I have pretty low fps from WoW, even if I have a decent configuration that I am posting below here:

+ Intel Core 2 Quad q8300 3.5 Ghz
    + 8 GB DDR2 Ram 933 Mhz
    + Motherboard: Zotac nforce 780i Supreme
    + GTX 560 Twin Frozr II (960/1920/2100)
    + Raid 0 of 2 7200 Seagate 500GB drives
    + 9500 GT for physic
    + 680W Hiper Power Supply

Some more pc info, but useless I think:

+ 2 raid 1 drives, 1 tb each
    + Antec 1200

All the temps are ok, not more than 50° on both CPU and main GPU under full load (air cooled) (the 2nd video card doesn't get used by WoW)

Still, I get 30 fps in Orgrimmar, and not that much more in raids and other places (even not crowded places).

I add that I recently changed my main video card (2 days ago) coming from a GTX 260, and with this, 560, I am getting the same results as I had before (with the previous video card) and this seems pretty weird to me. Shouldn't I get like at least double fps?

I don't use that many addons, it's about 30 mb of memory taken (I don't have Gearscore).

Also, I enabled already DX 11 support, via shortcut trick.

DAMN I can't post images -.-, writing down here graphical settings, then

Texture Resolution, High
    Texture Filtering, 16x Anisotropic
    Projected Textures, Enables
    View Distance, Ultra
    Environment Detail, Ultra
    Ground Clutter, Ultra
    Shadow Quality, Ultra
    Liquid Detail, Ultra
    Sunshafts, Ultra
    Particle Density, Ultra
    Refresh, 59 Hz
    Resolution, 1680x1050
    Display Mode, Windowed
    Multisampling, 8x
    Vertical Sync, Enabled

Fps in Orgrimmar is 27, atm.

Thanks in advance for any help you may give me,
    Guido

P.S. I have latest drivers, 266.66
    Last edited by guido1993; 2011-03-27 at 11:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by guido1993 View Post
    Still, I get 30 fps in Orgrimmar, and not that much more in raids and other places (even not crowded places).
    I add that I recently changed my main video card (2 days ago) coming from a GTX 260, and with this, 560, I am getting the same resulta as I had before (with the previous video card) and this seems pretty weird to me. Shouldn't I get like at least double fps?
    Thanks for a thorough post!
    However, in WoW, the CPU is the clutch, and the graphics-card doesn't matter (generalisation).

Also, your fps is very good for your speccs. I do, however, suggest that you reduce shadow-quality to good or fair levels, instead. That should net you around 10-20 fps, alone.

edit; OffTopic; 30mb worth of addons? Wow, that's like more than twice I'd ever use. I don't think I've been above 11 since TBC. That's an insane amount none the less, but I hardly think it affects your fps
    Last edited by BicycleMafioso; 2011-03-27 at 11:30 AM.

gpu is not important unless u have a crappy one
    cpu is the way to go!

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisgoat View Post
    Thanks for a thorough post!
    However, in WoW, the CPU is the clutch, and the graphics-card doesn't matter (generalisation).

Also, your fps is very good for your speccs. I do, however, suggest that you reduce shadow-quality to good or fair levels, instead. That should net you around 10-20 fps, alone.
    Ok Thanks, I'll try it asap.
    What about V-Sync, instead?

---------- Post added 2011-03-27 at 11:32 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by roningsp View Post
    gpu is not important unless u have a crappy one
    cpu is the way to go!
    I see, but isn't 3.5 GHz + 4MB of Cache enough? I mean, it seems pretty high to me

Ok Thanks, I'll try it asap.
    What about V-Sync, instead?
    VSync should be on, as it prevents screen-tearing. It gives no benefit to leave off for other reasons than e-peen, afaik

I just noticed, recording with Fraps, I get 800 PFS in Loading Screen, 400 in Char Selection (my main is a DK, so heavy snow effect)

anything "above normal"?

I tried doing with Shadows on Good, it does indeed raise my fps lvl in the middle of crowded Orgrimmar from 25 to 50
    Last edited by guido1993; 2011-03-27 at 11:39 AM.

Deleted
    You tried disableing vertical sync? i did and now im getting 60+ fps in org

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisgoat View Post
    edit; OffTopic; 30mb worth of addons? Wow, that's like more than twice I'd ever use. I don't think I've been above 11 since TBC. That's an insane amount none the less, but I hardly think it affects your fps
    Lol I currently run with 41 MB addons... yeah I'm a bit of an addon addict :P.

Quote Originally Posted by Joenanners View Post
    You tried disableing vertical sync? i did and now im getting 60+ fps in org
    But it doesn't actually help, as you can't see more than 60fps on a 60Hz screen

I have Lui interface, DBM, Recount, Omen, Forte, and some other basic addons

Deleted
    Try lowering all of your video options? Everything's on Ultra for no reason tbh. You can easily set it down to Fair/Good.
    I've got lesser specs than you + I'm using an laptop, and I've pretty much got same fps as you do(If not a bit higher). I'm running with VSync off, everything, EVERYTHING on Max. Fair, graphics are still more than fine for me (then again, graphics isn't really that important to me:-P).

10+ Year Old Account
    Set Multi sampling to the lowest.
    Update drivers set everything on high, see what you get on high.

This is my friends Backup, ancient rig.

Hp
    1.8-2.2ghz Cpu we forget.
    2gigs DDR2 Ram.
    Windows Xp.
    Nvidia 8k series.

When Cata just came out it could barely run at 10fps with low settings.
    After the Nvidia Ion driver patch, it ran high to Ultra on various Settings with 30 fps.
    Last edited by Kouki; 2011-03-27 at 12:04 PM.

The big killers on low end systems are shadows like some others have stated, and view distance.
    I have 12 Cores @ 4.33Ghz and I can't run those both at ultra at all times and have "good" fps.
    Ayako's 5.2Ghz 980x might do it a bit better, but i'm not Ayako. Nor can my Xeons clock that high, bad batch I guess.

EDIT: Yes I know WoW won't really use more than 2-3 cores, it was more to point out how much those two settings can effect your FPS.
    Last edited by ispano; 2011-03-27 at 12:16 PM.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2

Quote Originally Posted by ispano View Post
    The big killers on low end systems are shadows like some others have stated, and view distance.
    I have 12 Cores @ 4.33Ghz and I can't run those both at ultra at all times and have "good" fps.
    Ayako's 5.2Ghz 980x might do it a bit better, but i'm not Ayako. Nor can my Xeons clock that high, bad batch I guess.
    I used to run ViewDistance higher before Cata capped it. I currently at least run with increased spelldetail + foliage.

Your extra cores don't help, its better to have fewer high clocked cores.

Quote Originally Posted by Kouki View Post

Hp
    2gigs DDR2 Ram.
    Windows Xp.
    Nvidia 8k series.

After the Nvidia Ion driver patch, it ran high to Ultra on various Settings with 30 fps.
    What does actually the multisampling do?

Quote Originally Posted by ayako View Post
    I used to run ViewDistance higher before Cata capped it. I currently at least run with increased spelldetail + foliage.

Your extra cores don't help, its better to have fewer high clocked cores.
    Yeah, I edited that in afterwards. The system was built for other uses, but it doubles as my gaming machine as well.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2

Quote Originally Posted by Kouki View Post

Hp
    2gigs DDR2 Ram.
    Windows Xp.
    Nvidia 8k series.

What does Multisampling actually do?
    Also, I have all the drivers updated, including BIOS updates etc

Quote Originally Posted by ispano View Post
    Yeah, I edited that in afterwards. The system was built for other uses, but it doubles as my gaming machine as well.
    I see, I have no need for all my cores to be on one machine so I have a 2600K for that as well (instead of going SR2)

What does Multisampling actually do?
    Also, I have all the drivers updated, including BIOS updates etc
    Its a type of antialiasing. You render at a higher resolution and downsample.

Quote Originally Posted by ayako View Post
    I see, I have no need for all my cores to be on one machine so I have a 2600K for that as well (instead of going SR2)

Its a type of antialiasing. You render at a higher resolution and downsample.
    so, running at at 2x should more like improve graphical performace, even if GPU-Z reports a VMEM usage, in heavy fights, of 800 MB (of 1024 total)?

Deleted
    I think you are asking too much of your CPU with those settings really. I would drop View distance down to high and particle density too while you are at it. The Core 2 Quad is really old now and even with the overclock not enough to run your settings smoothly at 1680x1050 but 27 fps in Org at peak times and you are doing great with those settings really as high as possible with your cpu. Only way i can see you making a difference is turning your settings down a notch or two which will give you smooth game play.