Thread: Upgrading GFX

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account

Upgrading GFX

Hi, I currently own a EVGA GTX 470 Superclocked, and I someone I know is interested in buying it. So I'm wondering if any of you guys who have a stockpile of knowledge could share some? Please recommend me a graphics card that will run a tad quieter and cooler than the 470, yet it will still perform as well as our outperform the 470

Thanks a lot for the input to come!
    Quote Originally Posted by overcaffeinated View Post
    I don't get why people like you feel they need to chime in and tell the OP how useless his post was. If it was that useless why did you spend your 2 minutes to craft a response instead of 2 seconds to hit your "back" button?
    I7-4770K, ASUS Maximus VI Formula, SLI EVGA GTX780Ti, AX1200, Kingston V300 240GB, watercooled!

GTX 560Ti is pretty much on par with the GTX 470, except that it runs much cooler and more silent.
    [23:43:22] [P] [85:Bowsjob]: If its between 2 holy pallys its gonna be a gear fight most likely

Quote Originally Posted by nwo View Post
    GTX 560Ti is pretty much on par with the GTX 470, except that it runs much cooler and more silent.
    This pretty much sums it up.

gigabyte 6950 2gb

Deleted
    Isnt the 69xx pretty loud?..

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Okay, but if I invested in a 570, would that still be silent/cool and outperform the 470?
    I don't get why people like you feel they need to chime in and tell the OP how useless his post was. If it was that useless why did you spend your 2 minutes to craft a response instead of 2 seconds to hit your "back" button?
    I7-4770K, ASUS Maximus VI Formula, SLI EVGA GTX780Ti, AX1200, Kingston V300 240GB, watercooled!

Quote Originally Posted by Nidor View Post
    Okay, but if I invested in a 570, would that still be silent/cool and outperform the 470?
    I believe the GTX 570 can be pretty much equal, if not slightly better, than a GTX 480,while being cooler, quieter, and using less power consumption. I've replaced my GTX 480 with a 570 and that's that I'm noticing so far.
    "Those mortal shells that we call bodies, are not ours to keep. The body is a gift of earth that must, one day, be returned from whence it came"

It would outperform it, but GTX 570 can run pretty hot if it is a reference model (high 80s under load).

I would highly recommend a 6950 over a GTX 570 for the following reasons:
    -It runs cooler
    -It uses a lot less power
    -It's a lot cheaper

Performance wise, they are not too far apart in most games, and if you get the 2GB version, you can flash it to a 6970 which would outperform the 570.
    [23:43:22] [P] [85:Bowsjob]: If its between 2 holy pallys its gonna be a gear fight most likely

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I was looking at a few of the 6950 models and noticed that a few of them had "4 x DisplayPort - 20-pins DisplayPort " and I searched around and found that this was a alternative thing to HDMI. And I would like to use 3 monitors for my computer, 2 hooked into the local DVI ports and one in a HDMI port as I have it now on my 470. Will I just have to get a DisplayPort --> HDMI adapter or cable for it to work?

---------- Post added 2011-03-27 at 10:06 PM ----------

Oh, and about flashing the 6950 to 6970, is it hard and risky? :P

Quote Originally Posted by Reguilea View Post
    Isnt the 69xx pretty loud?..
    At 100% fan speed my 6970 sounds like a jet plane, but since you wont need over 70% fan speed it doesnt really matter

HD6950 is godly. You can even unlock it to the 6970 if they still do those? You're pretty much safe and getting the best for your cash, provided you don't OC it as well.

Oh, and about flashing the 6950 to 6970, is it hard and risky? :P
    The hard part is choosing the 2GB-version, since the 1GB can't be flashed.
    As far as risky, there's risks with everything you alter in computer-tinkering. If you won't overclock it once flashed, I believe you should run into few problems.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisgoat View Post
    The hard part is choosing the 2GB-version, since the 1GB can't be flashed.
    As far as risky, there's risks with everything you alter in computer-tinkering. If you won't overclock it once flashed, I believe you should run into few problems.
    Well, would it not be better to invest a tad more cash in the 6970 and OC it then? I think the difference is only around 500 NOK, which translate into roughly 100 dollars

Well, would it not be better to invest a tad more cash in the 6970 and OC it then? I think the difference is only around 500 NOK, which translate into roughly 100 dollars
    Personally, I'd rather invest in a 6950 and keep it a 6950, then - and most likely overclock it.
    But hey, that's me The stock 6950 vs stock 6970 aren't exactly worlds apart, either.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Okay, thanks for the input I was just thinking, will saving up a little and going for a 6990 be worth it? I don´t game extremely much but I´d like some good eye-candy when I find time to do it in my hectic life

Okay, thanks for the input I was just thinking, will saving up a little and going for a 6990 be worth it? I don´t game extremely much but I´d like some good eye-candy when I find time to do it in my hectic life
    Worth it, probably not. Be pretty nice, yea.

What games is it that you DO play when you get your game on, then?
    If it's only things like WoW, you might notice a decrease with the 6990, as odd it might seem. If it's FPS, then you will be set on highest settings on any game that's due in at least a years time.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisgoat View Post
    What games is it that you DO play when you get your game on, then?
    If it's only things like WoW, you might notice a decrease with the 6990, as odd it might seem. If it's FPS, then you will be set on highest settings on any game that's due in at least a years time.
    Hmm, well at the moment I have fallen a bit out of gaming, due to school, but come summer I will try to game a little more, thinking of trying Crysis and the likes And I will be using 3 monitors on it too, so I guess that will put alot of strain on it I´ll see what I do when the time comes Thanks alot for all of the input!

Not to mention the 6990 is anything but silent and you did mention wanting a card that makes less noise. Supposedly the gtx590 is no worse than what you have noise wise. Both the 590 and 6990 arnt exactly great choices for noise/heat regardless. Youre better servered by one or two 6950/6970/560/570 cards as mentioned by others if youre looking to up preformance and lower noise/thermals.

Edit

Ati cards will support 3-6 displays depending on the card. Two off dvi and the rest off of display port. Current 6850/6870/6950/6970 models support four displays if memory serves correctly.

Nvidia cards youll need to buy two of and run in sli to get 3 displays worth of support. But it doesnt matter what combination of ports you use.
    Last edited by Kraszmyl; 2011-03-28 at 08:19 AM.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kraszmyl View Post
    Nvidia cards youll need to buy two of and run in sli to get 3 displays worth of support. But it doesnt matter what combination of ports you use.
    This is wrong, because I´m running 3 screens on my 470 atm Well, the performance of a 590/6990 will make up for the noise for me The 6970 or 50 will be the most likely choice though