My computer runs WoW.

My sig. My 6 yrs old baby. Haven't touched it for quite a few months, and I just realized it could still run WoW. I get around 60 fps on medium when im questing, and around 15 fps in a 25-man. On Chimaron it can get down to about 10 or so. Overall, still playable! Btw, GPU is a Zotac 9500 gt, 512 mb.

Question is; how bad can a system be to run WoW? Mine is under the "minimum reqs" and still runs at MEDIUM graphics.

EDIT: My "8 fps on low" quote is not true, it's for trolling purposes

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm sure if you tried hard enough you could run it on a Commodore 64.
    You can tell WoW changed the MMO for good when players started complaining about the amount of time they sink, into a time sink.

Quote Originally Posted by Irony View Post
    I'm sure if you tried hard enough you could run it on a Commodore 64.
    I remember when they sold those for 800$.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Chickensoup23 View Post
    I remember when they sold those for 800$.
    I remember when the 5m x 3m serverroom in my parents office was entirely filled up by a single computer.

OT: It runs on a about 9 years old a 2,53 GHz Intel Pentium 4 with a ATI Radeon 8500 LE. FPS in capital citys is about 1 on lowest, 5 in starting zones. And its stuttering as hell.

Second computer in my sig takes the cake imho.

Its running on over 7 year old equipment, but I built the computer 7 years ago.

Minor upgrades, but its running

1x 1tb WD black edition
    AGP-AGP-AGP HD 3850 powercolor.... mean, i mean really mean, agp card.
    p4 EE 3.4GHZ
    3 gigs ram 400MHZ DDR (1!)

30+FPS in org on ultra, (No Anistropic or AA) 60 FPS flying around the world. However this is on a 17" monitor and the only time I use this rig is when working/upgrading my comp (Currently this is my wifes computer). God I love how much of a freak this gallatin core ancient computer is.

Thanks for the replies

---------- Post added 2011-03-28 at 12:28 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Elgand View Post
    Second computer in my sig takes the cake imho.

Its running on over 7 year old equipment, but I built the computer 7 years ago.

Minor upgrades, but its running

1x 1tb WD black edition
    AGP-AGP-AGP HD 3850 powercolor.... mean, i mean really mean, agp card.
    p4 EE 3.4GHZ
    3 gigs ram 400MHZ DDR (1!)

30+FPS in org on ultra, (No Anistropic or AA) 60 FPS flying around the world. However this is on a 17" monitor and the only time I use this rig is when working/upgrading my comp (Currently this is my wifes computer). God I love how much of a freak this gallatin core ancient computer is.
    2nd computer you said was pretty good back then, almost a top-of-the-line.

Quote Originally Posted by Chickensoup23 View Post
    My sig. My 6 yrs old baby. Haven't touched it for quite a few months, and I just realized it could still run WoW. I get around 60 fps on medium when im questing, and around 15 fps in a 25-man. On Chimaron it can get down to about 10 or so. Overall, still playable! Btw, GPU is a Zotac 9500 gt, 512 mb.

Question is; how bad can a system be to run WoW? Mine is under the "minimum reqs" and still runs at MEDIUM graphics.

EDIT: My "8 fps on low" quote is not true, it's for trolling purposes
    Congratulations, you're running WoW on more or less a modern dual core with kind of GPU that a lot of people still use.

With my AMD Duron 1.0GHz & radeon 9600 or something it was kind of sluggish.

10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.dell.com/downloads/us/pro...gx260_spec.pdf

Then I decided onboard graphics sucked so I found a:
    http://www.nvidia.com/page/geforce_7600.html

20 fps in the world (not Dal/SW), 6-10 fps in 10 mans, 2-5 fps in 25 mans. All lowest settings.

Feels good to have upgraded.

My last computer met every minimum requirement EXCEPT the graphics card (which didn't even meet the min) and I could STILL run everything including ICC 10-man, although the 10-mans and Wintergrasp involved playable lag.

Then Cata hit.

And that same system that was running ICC-10 man was crashing out just from being in the new zones. (Even at the lowest settings.) So I ordered a new computer that met the recomended requirements in all area's except the graphics card, which still met the minimum requirements. And I STILL get lag in Ulduar 10-man (Ahcievment run) and ICC-10 man is even more laggy than on the old computer, unplayably so.

I remember a Blizz rep telling me that the Cata released involved some graphical changes to Wintergrasp and possibly Icecrown. Sooo....whatever they did, really screwed some people over well.
    Last edited by Twotonsteak; 2011-03-28 at 06:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Twotonsteak View Post
    Sooo....whatever they did, really screwed some people over well.
    You screwed yourself over when you wanted a computer running between minimum and recommended.
    Parts that old generally don't decrease in price after a while and get more expensive, rather.

10+ Year Old Account
    My Macbook from '08 couldn't do 25 mans at all and I would lag out during intense visuals (10 man explosions, giant meetings in Dal, etc). Then again, basic laptops do pretty much suck.

My mom's computer is 6 or 7 years old and can still handle WoW on low settings. It's quite crappy as well. Her computer makes yours look brand new. It's a 400 dollar Dell that was your typical "run into walmart and buy this" computer.
    Last edited by Shamslam; 2011-03-28 at 06:27 AM.
    I once had a character named "Clamslam" but Blizzard deemed it inappropriate.
    Retired from WoW: February 19, 2011. It was fun Blizz.

My old desktop, 6 years old, consisting of a Pentium 4 dual core @ 2.8GHz, 2 GB of DDR2 SDRAM and a GTS 250 (upgraded from a 7800GT, still have it sitting in an anti static bag) ran cata at 1080p on Fair setting at ~30 fps, 15-20 in BWD 10-man

Friend of mine is running on a pentium 4 2.4ghz pga478 with an agp 5200 and some how atleast has 768 megs of ram. The game wont open in d3d after cata hit. She "plays" in opengl mode at about 7-15fps questing and 1-5 in cities. Ammusingly enough she gets the best fps in outland now and second best in northrend since the overhual in the classic areas.

Sadly she lives in portugal so shipping anything there is rediculous on import fees and euro comp prices are rediculous so shes kinda stuck with it.