Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by iamhuntard View Post
    sounds like you need the poor mans authenticator! heres what you do, first open up notepad. Then write a short story, include numbers somehow if your password of desire has number. Then using the mouse go to the letters you don't need and delete them eventually leaving just your password. Then save the text document as whatever and place it in any old folder.

Each time you log onto wow instead of typing it just copy/paste it into the field. If you aren't typing your password they have no chance of keylogging it!

Been playing since vanilla, never hacked once
    Works for me perfectly for a year! even i have 4 types of real time protection + 3 on use cleaners i still got hacked ( not since i started copy/pasting infos)

10+ Year Old Account
    When I try to log in from abroad, they lock the account (due to "suspicious activity"), and need to sort it out from an email link they send me. This ONLY happens when I'm trying to log in from another country, even though I have the free Iphone authenticator app.

Quote Originally Posted by Shamslam View Post
    Note the part where he said "download a smart phone emulator for free, and put the free authenticator program on it."

There's your solution. The poor man's authenticator. I personally did the notepad one until I got a smartphone, but this would work too.

You pay to play Blizzard's game. You don't pay to be protected by Blizzard. They should, but they don't have to. It sucks, but it's been like that since WoW came out.

Also, to others...nothing is 100% hack proof. It's foolish to think otherwise. The authenticator is pretty damn close though. From everything I've read, the amount of work/skill required to hack one is just too much for your everyday WoW hacker. If you do get hacked with an authenticator, either your iphone/android got hacked, or you got owned by a really, really smart guy.
    I read about the smart phone emulator, which just like jailbroken ipods makes hacking easier. An emulator is on your pc no?

This thread is unique and original. I've never read anything like it before.

You need to activate that lock system just as you have to activate an authenticator.

Zdeno Chara lock system?

Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    Do you expect me to pop their names on a public forum, without their consent? Think again. And both the core hound pup and guild's rank check disagree with your second statement.
    Yeah, definitely weird that your guildmates are like the only ones that got scammed..

Quote Originally Posted by istheshiz View Post
    Who? When? Where? How?

---------- Post added 2011-03-28 at 05:59 AM ----------

Have an iPod Touch? iPhone? Other smart phone? You can get it for free.
    Nah. I have an old Ipod and that's about it. I don't care about smart phones or the Ipod Touch. Although if it breaks I suppose I could buy the Ipod Touch. Does it last alright? My crappy small Ipod has lasted 3+ years and I use it every day. Works just fine still.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by blazto View Post
    I read about the smart phone emulator, which just like jailbroken ipods makes hacking easier. An emulator is on your pc no?
    When trojans will actively search your computer for emulated authenticators, then it will be less safe than a physical auth. Until that it's equally safe.

10+ Year Old Account
    To the OP, contact Blizzard by phone. Voice to voice is the best way to deal with these things. I've been hacked and that offered me the quickest route to cleaning up the mess and getting my gold and items back.

To those that think Authenticators either can or have been hacked, read this:

http://seewhatyoudidthere.com/2010/0...-you-want-one/

There are only two ways to "hack" an account that has an authenticator;
    1. Be in the room when account holder logs in and beat them to the punch, heh.
    2. Man in the middle attack. Same as above except with very powerful software that intercepts the packets (info) from your network before they get to Blizzard's network and then sends them to a remote machine that logs the hacker in first. It's complicated, time-consuming and 99.9999% impossible to pull off.

Best bet, get a paper route, mow lawns, walk dogs, buy an authenticator.

Best of luck to you.

There's no such thing as hacking, not when it comes to wow accounts. Either you were an idiot and entered your account info on some phishing site or you got yourself a keylogger.

Quote Originally Posted by madyrn View Post
    To the OP, contact Blizzard by phone. Voice to voice is the best way to deal with these things. I've been hacked and that offered me the quickest route to cleaning up the mess and getting my gold and items back.

To those that think Authenticators either can or have been hacked, read this:

http://seewhatyoudidthere.com/2010/0...-you-want-one/

There are only two ways to "hack" an account that has an authenticator;
    1. Be in the room when account holder logs in and beat them to the punch, heh.
    2. Man in the middle attack. Same as above except with very powerful software that intercepts the packets (info) from your network before they get to Blizzard's network and then sends them to a remote machine that logs the hacker in first. It's complicated, time-consuming and 99.9999% impossible to pull off.

Best bet, get a paper route, mow lawns, walk dogs, buy an authenticator.

Best of luck to you.
    You forgot Option 3, Share your account with your friend who then steals all your stuff thinking it'll be funny, causing you to be like "ZOMG I JUST GOT HACKED DESPITE HAVING AN AUTHENTICATOR"

Quote Originally Posted by jakalas View Post
    This thread is unique and original. I've never read anything like it before.
    0/10 Fail troll is fail.

You need to activate that lock system just as you have to activate an authenticator.
    I tried logging in at my University which is not even 10mins away from my house and it flagged me, it also flagged me when I was at my friends house. But this was when the system is new, and I did nothing to activate it o.O

You forgot Option 3, Share your account with your friend who then steals all your stuff thinking it'll be funny, causing you to be like "ZOMG I JUST GOT HACKED DESPITE HAVING AN AUTHENTICATOR"
    That's pretty much a slight variation of #1, so I'll call it 1.5

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zka View Post
    Mobile auth costs 0.5 euro if you buy it... But you can get it for free if you google a bit. It runs on almost any java enabled phone (and almost all phones are like that since 2006 or so... at least my shitty 2006 Motorola KRZR was running it fine) or you can run it in a java emulator. There is absolutely no valid excuse for not using an authenticator.
    It depends on phone
    Apples devices gets it for free
    Making your GIF Avatar to 20kb is hard. Especially when the original is 504kb

sounds like you need the poor mans authenticator! heres what you do, first open up notepad. Then write a short story, include numbers somehow if your password of desire has number. Then using the mouse go to the letters you don't need and delete them eventually leaving just your password. Then save the text document as whatever and place it in any old folder.

Each time you log onto wow instead of typing it just copy/paste it into the field. If you aren't typing your password they have no chance of keylogging it!

This does not really help... you dont think a keylogger have access to your Clipboard?.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clipboard_(software)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KangarooBasher View Post
    sorry for spelling mistakes meant to say Why should i buy a auth, it is 30-40 dollars USD P/h im only 15 years old i don't have that kind of money
    Your mum/dad is already paying the game then I assume. Be a nice little boy and go ask your mum to invest in something simple as the Authenticator. If she can't afford it then you really shouldn't be wasting your family's money in World of Warcraft.

Quote Originally Posted by pakalolo View Post
    i thought it only locks down your account if its suddenly logged on from another country, ie china.
    I have come across the same question as you ,but late I find it is because of VPN.

Sorry to hear this happen man, it sucks. But a good tip is to invest in the athenticator, its not alot of money AND you get a cute pet <3

OR you can do like me and never go to sites that requiers account (Like MMO) with the same E-mail as the one that your wow acc.
    And, if you do so, make sure to clean out cookies and NEVER, EVER EVER EVER!!! make the eu.battle.net allow to remmember PW.

Authenticators for 40USD? Lol

They reduced the price because noone was buying them by REMOVING the SHIPPING COST.

Go to battle.net store and order one. It's about 7USD or so, Real cheap.

That's the dumbest advice I've heard in a while. Modern keyloggers monitor your clipboard as well as keystrokes and some even take snapshots of your screen. Anything you copy/paste is in danger of being logged, the same as you typing it in.