Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Unhappy 'Beast' gaming lappy falling short?

About a week and a half ago I got myself a new gaming laptop;

ASUS G73SW
    CPU: Intel Core i7-2630QM, 2.0GHZ
    RAM: 8GB
    HDD: 1TB (500GB+500GB)
    GRAPHICS: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460M (1.5GB)

I decided to try doing a battleground on this allegedly amazing gaming system. Mind you, at this time, my settings were all on Good except for just the water which was Ultra because I enjoy pretty water and it didn't hinder my FPS at all.

I zoned into AV rather late so about 30 peeps were already there, obnoxiously spamming their buffs over and over in their wait.

My FPS dropped to five.

FIVE.

I have to ask. With specs like that what the HELL happened? I know FPS is related to the RAM, CPU and/or graphics card...but aren't the ones I have pretty decent? And if not, is there anything I can do about it?

Thanks in advance for any constructive replies as this is...pretty upsetting. Damn thing set me back two grand. =/

Quote Originally Posted by Eruanne View Post
    About a week and a half ago I got myself a new gaming laptop;

ASUS G73SW
    CPU: Intel Core i7-2630QM, 2.0GHZ
    RAM: 8GB
    HDD: 1TB (500GB+500GB)
    GRAPHICS: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460M (1.5GB)

I decided to try doing a battleground on this allegedly amazing gaming system. Mind you, at this time, my settings were all on Good except for just the water which was Ultra because I enjoy pretty water and it didn't hinder my FPS at all.

I zoned into AV rather late so about 30 peeps were already there, obnoxiously spamming their buffs over and over in their wait.

My FPS dropped to five.

FIVE.

I have to ask. With specs like that what the HELL happened? I know FPS is related to the RAM, CPU and/or graphics card...but aren't the ones I have pretty decent? And if not, is there anything I can do about it?

Thanks in advance for any constructive replies as this is...pretty upsetting. Damn thing set me back two grand. =/
    I'm guessing that. That being said, have you enabled DX11 support yet?

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Make sure your drivers are up to date.

Make sure DirectX 11 is enabled.

Did you update your system? (mostly the graphics card?) are you having low fps in other areas?

Could be that this area is just too intense without everyone buffing, did ur fps drop all the time there or just a second or two? Sometimes it just happens

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ayako View Post
    I'm guessing that. That being said, have you enabled DX11 support yet?
    That many people wasn't an issue on my old desktop and it had far inferior specifications than this laptop. I never lagged on it, even the worst 40-man PVP-fest incited zero lag so seeing ANY lag, especially lag THIS bad, on a system that's supposed to be a huge upgrade was really upsetting.

That being said I do not believe I enabled that, would you be so kind as to inform me how I can go about it or direct me to a website that would walk me through it? Much obliged.

Turn on dx11 it will help abit. Also keep in mind that 460gtx is only about as powerful has a desktop 450gts/5770 so its on the weaker spectrum of cards and youre running 1920x1080.

I used to own an asus laptop same specs as yours almost but with a 5730 in it. I could do high, but i was also running 1366x786 so if youre willing to drop the resolution and deal with the fuzziness youll do okay.

The cpu and ram are fine, its mostly your hard drive and video card that are the issues. The video card is good for a laptop but in raw power its still fairly weak considering the resolution that laptop plays at natively. The hard drive mostly affects your load times and what not and i doubt you want to spend the 500$ for a decent ssd to see the improvement there.

That all being said , you should be better than 5fps after loadup. You should be sitting around 20-30 on medium settings. You can go to nvidias website and grab newer drivers which should help and again like is said, google tomshardware and world of warcraft and there is an excellent guide on what to do preformance wise. The review only covers desktop cards, but like i mentioned earlier your laptop is about onpar with a 5770 (ati) or gts450 (nvidia) in the desktop world.

Edit

Another point of referance for you. One of my other laptops is an m11x.

Cpu 1.6ghz dual core
    Gpu 335gt
    Res 1366x786

It plays wow on high in the 25-40fps range very happily.

Also for example one of the desktops i have.

i7 870
    gpu 6850 - ~3 or 4 times more powerful than your laptops gtx460
    res 1920x1200 - close to what the laptops trying to do.

The desktop can do ultra in the 40-60fps range
    High in the 60-90fps range.

So like i mentioned earlier im betting its the resolution killing you fps wise. But as mentioned earlier on medium at that resolution you should be getting better than 5 in a battleground.
    Last edited by Kraszmyl; 2011-03-28 at 06:53 AM.

And did it stay at five, or did it climb back up before long? WoW isn't exactly the most optimized game on the planet, meaning even on a tricked out machine, it will still occasionally tank your FPS.

Silly suggestion - but make sure your laptop is plugged in to a solid power source and NOT using battery power.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    To do this, expand a shortcut to the woW.exe with "-d3d11". Alternatively, open the "Config.wtf" in "\ World of Warcraft \ WTF" and add the line SET gxApi "d3d11" (with quotes).

Your desktop was probably lower res than 1920x1080.

Make shortcut to the WoW.exe with "-d3d11". Alternatively, open the "Config.wtf" in the WTF folder and add the line SET gxApi "d3d11" (with quotes)

10+ Year Old Account
    I've expanded the shortcut, am installing updater drivers as we speak and will fiddle around with the resolution. If that doesn't work I guess I will have to try to find a way to upgrade the graphics card. Go figure, I thought it was the processor.

Thanks very much for everyone's replies, I really appreciate all the feedback and assistance.

I dont recall if the g5x/g7x use mxm slots or not but upgrading the gpu isnt exactly practical even if they do.

My old old asus n6x something has an mxm 3 slot with a 9650gt in it , but i think its 400-600$ last i checked to put something better into it and even then you have to make sure the card you put in doesnt exceed the thermals of what the laptops designed to deal with and a gtx485/6970 both put out alot more heat and are your only realistic upgrade path since the gtx460/5870/6870 are all about onpar preformance wise.

If you really want better preformance youre looking at a clevo with a gtx485m/6970m or an alienware m17x r3 which can come with a 6970. Both will set you back about 1700-1800$ which is about 500$ more than you paid for the asus, the alienware comes with onsite parts replacement atleast however which is kinda nice.

Graphics card isn't really the limiting factor here anyways. Get GPU-Z and check the usage.

Graphics card isn't really the limiting factor here anyways.
    ^This. One of the best (mobile)GPUs that's actually availible for the market.
    And one of the best (mobile) CPUs you can fit in a laptop.

(mobile meaning, there's custom companies who throws the i7-980x et c into laptops)

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisgoat View Post

(mobile meaning, there's custom companies who throws the i7-980x et c into laptops)
    And dual GTX sli too

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kraszmyl View Post
    Both will set you back about 1700-1800$ which is about 500$ more than you paid for the asus, the alienware comes with onsite parts replacement atleast however which is kinda nice.
    I paid $1,950 for the ASUS so it's gonna end up costing me about the same if I go that route, haha.

In any rate I guess I expected the same performance out of a laptop that I got from a desktop and was disappointed by the fact that that's just not really possible, it will never be exactly the same, so that was my REAL mistake.

Given the fact that I would rather give up mobility for quality performance I think the best route for me to take would be to re-sell this and purchase a desktop of equal value (which, based on what I've found on newegg.com, would be an immense upgrade either way because that one has an Intel i7 Core that goes up to 4GHZ, has 12GB RAM and has the Nvidia GeForce GTX 570 and costs $400 less than this lappy did).

Again, I really want to thank you all for your help, I greatly appreciate it! <3

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisgoat View Post

Yup, I has one of those

---------- Post added 2011-03-28 at 08:37 PM ----------

And dual GTX sli too
    This too :x
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2

Quote Originally Posted by Eruanne View Post
    I paid $1,950 for the ASUS so it's gonna end up costing me about the same if I go that route, haha.

In any rate I guess I expected the same performance out of a laptop that I got from a desktop and was disappointed by the fact that that's just not really possible, it will never be exactly the same, so that was my REAL mistake.

Given the fact that I would rather give up mobility for quality performance I think the best route for me to take would be to re-sell this and purchase a desktop of equal value (which, based on what I've found on newegg.com, would be an immense upgrade either way because that one has an Intel i7 Core that goes up to 4GHZ, has 12GB RAM and has the Nvidia GeForce GTX 570 and costs $400 less than this lappy did).

Again, I really want to thank you all for your help, I greatly appreciate it! <3
    12g of ram is rather useless if your not running using a bunch of ram heavy programs and what i7 is it? the new i7-2600k would be much better then the previous gen I7s
    CPU: Intel I5-3570k 4.7ghz MB: Gigabyte Z77-D3H
    GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming Ram: G-Skill 8GB 1333
    SSD: OCZ Vertex 3 120GB PSU: Corsair CX850M Case: Corsair 750D

My friend got an ASUS G73SW around 2 weeks ago (same as you). Same processor and same graphics card. First of all, why did you pay so much? My friend got it for $1650 but he did remove a couple stuff he wasnt gonna use such as bluetooth as well as he changed the HDDs to be regular ones instead of hybrid.

On the performance issue, I have played on my friend's laptop and the performance is just amazing! Although I didnt do a raid, roaming around as well as 5-man dungeons was a constant 60fps at 1920x1080 resolution with everything on ULTRA except shadows on low (this kills performance even on desktop beasts). I recommend to put shadows on low, it really is a performance decreasing feature which doesnt give much eye candy (in my opinion). Id recommend everything on Ultra with shadows on low.

Also, very importantly as someone already mentioned, check the power settings and make sure it is on "High Performance" even if you are on battery, otherwise the system will cripple everything to save battery which means extremely low FPS (i tested this on my friends laptop).

You should indeed get amazing performance out of this laptop... it is like you said, a beast...

10+ Year Old Account
    Well it was ~ 1.8K and then after taxes came out to $1,950 via Amazon.com. I already killed the shadows and even after that, with everything on Good, I am having this issue. It's fine in instances and waltzing around, sure. But raiding and BGs is what I need it for and more often than not there will be a LOT of shit going on. I need a computer that can handle that AND make it look nice. :P If that means trading for a desktop that's fine, laptop is huge and heavy as hell anyway.