Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ...
2
10
11
12
13
14
22
... LastLast
  1. #221
    I am Murloc! Gothicshark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    In Thrall's loving embrace, all hail ThrallChrist.
    Posts
    5,074
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    I've had ALOT of issues with those in power in my life and it probably developed into this burning hatred of abuse of power. I can;t even watch those cop reality shows my dad likes without getting enraged. Though i HAVE met some nice police when i got pulled over for no headlight. They let me off no warning no nothing once they realized i was clean and a new driver.
    Once Again the people who get upset with normal day to day operation of a Lawful Society have issues with Authority granted by the People in consensus through our laws and voting system.

    If we the people feel a Law is Unjust we have the power to have it changed, I know since I fight daily for LGBT rights. I do believe in Protesting and Fighting for our Rights, which certain members of certain belief systems fight against me and my kind. However in the case seen in this video, the home owners rights where not violated, Ironically because of his way of speaking to the Workers he was technically violating the workers rights, the female Officer was obviously the High ranking government official and she was trying to be nice to him at the start. but it was clear she was close to having him arrested by the end. this was not an Abuse on her part, mainly because he was being abusive to the Civil Employees.

    If you have issue with authority seek professional help, if you feel the law is unfair start a movement to change it.

    These are two different things.

  2. #222
    Epic! 3DTyrant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    The Aether
    Posts
    1,677
    wait... if its been there for 60 years... wheres the problem because one person bitched about it?

  3. #223
    Moderator Endus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Waterloo, ON
    Posts
    22,049
    Quote Originally Posted by 3DTyrant View Post
    wait... if its been there for 60 years... wheres the problem because one person bitched about it?
    In a lot of cases, if city officials think something isn't that big a deal, even if it's contrary to city by-law, they'll ignore it.

    Until someone complains. Then they CAN'T legally ignore it, they HAVE to take action. They're legally required to.

  4. #224
    Legendary! Sorrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Anchorage Alaska
    Posts
    6,801
    Quote Originally Posted by Ner zhul View Post
    wow....

    many laws are completely wrong. there was a story awhile back about a kid's lemonade stand being shut down because she didn't have a business permit.

    when laws/government reach the point where having a lemonade stand is illegal u have a problem. and there are so many laws that restrict kids being kids
    Oh yeah how about the girl getting suspended for having a DINNER knife in her CAR at school. Or the 9 year old boy scout who helped take care of his severely ill mother who got kciked outta school for having an eating device that they called a weapon. He even got kicked outta boy scouts and NOTHING they did could counter it he eventually killed himself because there was nothing they could do.

    The laws and policies that govern the world today were created more by fear/bribes than any type of reason or logic. And even if they were people look at teh WORD more than the MEANING or INTENTION when doing these things. It's total BS.

  5. #225
    Epic! 3DTyrant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    The Aether
    Posts
    1,677
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    In a lot of cases, if city officials think something isn't that big a deal, even if it's contrary to city by-law, they'll ignore it.

    Until someone complains. Then they CAN'T legally ignore it, they HAVE to take action. They're legally required to.
    did it hurt anyone? did it kill anyone? if not, keep it as it is imo

  6. #226
    Sounds like it's time for a class-action lawsuit.

    And a change in government.

  7. #227
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    Oh yeah how about the girl getting suspended for having a DINNER knife in her CAR at school. Or the 9 year old boy scout who helped take care of his severely ill mother who got kciked outta school for having an eating device that they called a weapon. He even got kicked outta boy scouts and NOTHING they did could counter it he eventually killed himself because there was nothing they could do.

    The laws and policies that govern the world today were created more by fear/bribes than any type of reason or logic. And even if they were people look at teh WORD more than the MEANING or INTENTION when doing these things. It's total BS.
    Yeah back in my day kids didn't listen to know hip hop music and they respected their elders and food tasted better and we didn't have none of them homos.

  8. #228
    Legendary! Sorrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Anchorage Alaska
    Posts
    6,801
    Quote Originally Posted by Gothicshark View Post
    If you have issue with authority seek professional help, if you feel the law is unfair start a movement to change it.

    These are two different things.
    I am and guess what doesn't work like that with me. It's a trait i've had since 1st grade at least and no amount of medicine nor therapy ahs ever been enough to stop it. I CAN retain SOME control now but it's very hard. Truth is i don;t even know what COULD have caused it back then since most people i knew then had been kind and nice it just kicked in one day when i saw someone abusing power think it was a bully or something.

    As for the form the group sorry but unlike you i don;t have the patience or see it working. Though my sis agrees with you and she too works with such groups. I'm just a revolutionary at heart and to me a world with as many limits as we have is not one i can live in very happily.

    Oh and we really don;t even live in a democracy OR republic but a plutocracy basically we're ruled by the rich not "the people" at this point.

  9. #229
    Quote Originally Posted by Simca View Post
    Could have been lack of notice, could have been new people enforcing the law more strictly than before and the previous generation let things slide. Either way, time doesn't matter in this case.

    If 60 years is long enough that the law doesn't matter, where do you draw that line? At a year? 2 years?

    If you draw that line at a year and some guy has had it up for 11 and a half months before it gets noticed, does that count? Can he even prove that it was up for a year? I mean who keeps a receipt for a basketball hoop for a year anyway?
    Not for nothing but most laws, etc have a Statue of limitations on them, meaning in fact that if something isn't reported or said within the designated time frame that it becomes very "double jeopardy" like and there's nothing to be done. I don't have great knowledge of Delaware's specific laws, just pointing out that very many laws do in fact have something of this nature tied to them.

  10. #230
    Legendary! Sorrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Anchorage Alaska
    Posts
    6,801
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Yeah back in my day kids didn't listen to know hip hop music and they respected their elders and food tasted better and we didn't have none of them homos.
    I still don;t like hip hop and i like to coom my food but i have NEVER just handed out respect it should be earned NOT given.

  11. #231
    Bloodsail Admiral sharpy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Somewhere i call home.
    Posts
    1,143
    Quote Originally Posted by Gothicshark View Post
    Once Again the people who get upset with normal day to day operation of a Lawful Society have issues with Authority granted by the People in consensus through our laws and voting system.

    If we the people feel a Law is Unjust we have the power to have it changed, I know since I fight daily for LGBT rights. I do believe in Protesting and Fighting for our Rights, which certain members of certain belief systems fight against me and my kind. However in the case seen in this video, the home owners rights where not violated, Ironically because of his way of speaking to the Workers he was technically violating the workers rights, the female Officer was obviously the High ranking government official and she was trying to be nice to him at the start. but it was clear she was close to having him arrested by the end. this was not an Abuse on her part, mainly because he was being abusive to the Civil Employees.

    If you have issue with authority seek professional help, if you feel the law is unfair start a movement to change it.

    These are two different things.
    Trying to be nice? he asked 2 questions then she said i dont want to arrest you but this is where it is going.

  12. #232
    As for the form the group sorry but unlike you i don;t have the patience or see it working.
    I'm sorry democracy is so much work for you.

  13. #233
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    Which shouldn't matter. The fact is the pole was there for 60 years that's a long time almost enough if not enough to become a neighborhood if not city icon. The problem with people who only read the word of law or even make laws like this is that they tend to see the black and white picture more than anything. To me the poles should have been left where they were. I mean even if a kid did get run over someday i'd blame the driver and kid more than the poles.

    Oh and oddly enough while typing this one of those "play 60 minutes a day" messages from the government just came on.
    It's a hazard to children, it impedes access to vital systems for maintainance, and it's city property. Apparently it's recieved complaints, and was in violation of code. Obviously not everyone loves it, because it did get removed. If someone did get injured, at this point, the city would be liable, regardless of who you would "blame". It's a pole, it's not historic. It's old scrap steel. If he felt that strongly about having a basketball hoop, then he should have gotten a mobile hoop, or installed one on his own property, rather than relying on the charity of the city. And when he found out what was happening, he had no right to waste the money of the taxpayers of the tiny state of delaware based on a fit of pique about a hoop that he's too physically infirm to even make use of. Just because something's old, doesn't mean it's important, it just means it's old.

  14. #234
    Legendary! Sorrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Anchorage Alaska
    Posts
    6,801
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    I'm sorry democracy is so much work for you.
    Democracy is dead we live live in a plutocracy now. And even before that we lived ina republic more than a democracy.

  15. #235
    I am Murloc! Gothicshark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    In Thrall's loving embrace, all hail ThrallChrist.
    Posts
    5,074
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    Oh yeah how about the girl getting suspended for having a DINNER knife in her CAR at school. Or the 9 year old boy scout who helped take care of his severely ill mother who got kciked outta school for having an eating device that they called a weapon. He even got kicked outta boy scouts and NOTHING they did could counter it he eventually killed himself because there was nothing they could do.

    The laws and policies that govern the world today were created more by fear/bribes than any type of reason or logic. And even if they were people look at teh WORD more than the MEANING or INTENTION when doing these things. It's total BS.
    Cite your sources for your examples please.

    You can't have a logical discussion with out proof of a Statement.

    with that said, I should point out Laws Are created to ensure the public safety for the most part, However I am an Activist I am fighting to change Unjust laws in this country, I protest all the time. Just because I see a Conservative Jerk and his wife complaining about wanting to keep an Illegal basketball hoop in the street and having the Government officials take it away, does not make me feel sympathy towards them. in fact if I was there I would have wanted him arrested for disturbing the peace.

    If he was a real man he would go to city hall, create a bill, and try and change the laws so that basketball and Street hockey could be played in the street. BTW both are considered Illegal in most states.

    Don't assume because I don't agree with you on this situation means I think all the laws are good.

  16. #236
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    Democracy is dead we live live in a plutocracy now. And even before that we lived ina republic more than a democracy.
    you know you don't really get to complain about the state of our democracy right after you say being active in it is too much effort.

  17. #237
    Legendary! Sorrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Anchorage Alaska
    Posts
    6,801
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonFireKai View Post
    It's a hazard to children, it impedes access to vital systems for maintainance, and it's city property. Apparently it's recieved complaints, and was in violation of code. Obviously not everyone loves it, because it did get removed. If someone did get injured, at this point, the city would be liable, regardless of who you would "blame". It's a pole, it's not historic. It's old scrap steel. If he felt that strongly about having a basketball hoop, then he should have gotten a mobile hoop, or installed one on his own property, rather than relying on the charity of the city. And when he found out what was happening, he had no right to waste the money of the taxpayers of the tiny state of delaware based on a fit of pique about a hoop that he's too physically infirm to even make use of. Just because something's old, doesn't mean it's important, it just means it's old.
    Yeah one of the complaints was that KIDS WERE USING IT. Yeah that's a good complaint right there. The reasoning they were too noisy. That is total BS right there. Oh and if i get gets hurt playing so what people get hurt all the time kids or adults playing. If eh gets run over ESPECIALLY in a culdesac then it;s the drivers stupidity. People today are just too paranoid about lawsuits and others getting "hurt" when far worse is going on the world over.

    ---------- Post added 2011-03-28 at 08:02 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    you know you don't really get to complain about the state of our democracy right after you say being active in it is too much effort.
    I vote regularly and i read the paper i keep up on politics and so on regardless of the side. So no i DO participate in it i just don't see it working.

  18. #238
    Moderator Wilderness's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    3,775
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    But not a right to be assholes. If that was anyone other than the government doing that that women would have been fired faster than a quantum particle can travel and that is faster than the speed of light.
    1. Older couple is notified that the hoop violates state law and if not removed it will be removed.
    2. Older couple does not remove hoop.
    3. Older couple writes letters to state representative or someone (based on what the guy said in the video - but we have no idea what he wrote, who he wrote it to, when he wrote it, or even if writing a letter is the best way to try and appeal for an exception to the law).
    4. DelDOT shows up to remove hoop.
    5. Older woman climbs up hoop and refuses to come down.
    6. Police called to talk her down, eventually they leave.
    7. Older couple intentionally parks car in front of hoop (you can tell this because its not there in the pictures of the woman earlier when she refused to come down from the hoop).
    8. DelDOT returns to remove hoop.
    9. Older guy protests and whines, eventually agrees to move car.
    10. Young woman says that the way this is going will end up with the older couple being arrested. Curiously, the little bit is after a cut in the footage so we have no idea what happened, what was discussed, or how long passed from when the young woman first started talking to the older man and the threat of being arrested.
    11. Older guy says his wife will be up that pole again in 2 seconds; younger woman responds that will not happen because the police will not allow it.
    12. Young woman says they'll lay the pole in his driveway and someone off camera says they have been letting everyone keep them who wanted them. Another person off camera says that they are supposed to take all of them but that they have been offering the courtesy of letting people keep them.
    13. Another cut in the footage, where the young woman says that the older guy is welcome to stand there but that he cannot taunt the workers.
    14. Older guy continues to yell crap at the workers and bemoaning his situation.
    15. Older guy is informed that he cannot in fact keep the pole, and he goes off.
    16. Older woman comes out yelling that she can stand there because its her house. She is told that they are not allowed to taunt the workers.
    17. Older couple continues yelling at the younger woman.

    There is no abuse of power in there. There is only an older couple who were not happy with how things were going and proceeded to act childishly and make it harder for the people who were just there doing their jobs.

    The young woman did say initially that they could keep the pole, and then that did not happen. Legally, they were required to take it but from what was said by someone off camera they had been allowing people to keep them as a courtesy. Someone decided that they were not going to extend that courtesy to these folks for whatever reason. Either it was the young woman herself, or if it was someone else then it made her look bad by doing it. I agree that it was a shame about that particular part. But the rest of it is in no way an abuse of power, it is just a couple acting poorly and making a situation out of what did not need to be one.

    This is also a very clearly edited video, so unless there the full footage is available you have to wonder what they edited out.
    Last edited by Wilderness; 2011-03-28 at 08:06 PM.
    Raids & Dungeons Mod | <Despotism> 14/14H (10-man); 14/14H (25-man); 2 Days/Week US-Greymane <> Recruiting for Mythic

  19. #239
    The Patient
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Bolivar
    Posts
    227
    Quote Originally Posted by Gothicshark View Post
    If he was a real man he would go to city hall, create a bill, and try and change the laws so that basketball and Street hockey could be played in the street. BTW both are considered Illegal in most states.

    Don't assume because I don't agree with you on this situation means I think all the laws are good.
    ya because thats what we need laws determining who has the right to play street hockey and where. OBVIOUSLY THE GOVERNMENT NEEDS TO FOCUS ON IMPORTANT THINGS SUCH AS BASKETBALL HOOP LOCATIONS.

    ur fighting a stupid law with another stupid law. eventually ull be overwhelmed with red tape.

  20. #240
    Legendary! Sorrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Anchorage Alaska
    Posts
    6,801
    Quote Originally Posted by Gothicshark View Post
    Cite your sources for your examples please.

    You can't have a logical discussion with out proof of a Statement.

    with that said, I should point out Laws Are created to ensure the public safety for the most part, However I am an Activist I am fighting to change Unjust laws in this country, I protest all the time. Just because I see a Conservative Jerk and his wife complaining about wanting to keep an Illegal basketball hoop in the street and having the Government officials take it away, does not make me feel sympathy towards them. in fact if I was there I would have wanted him arrested for disturbing the peace.

    If he was a real man he would go to city hall, create a bill, and try and change the laws so that basketball and Street hockey could be played in the street. BTW both are considered Illegal in most states.

    Don't assume because I don't agree with you on this situation means I think all the laws are good.
    My sources are time magazine and the 9 year old one was pretty damn famous. If i MUST i can dig them up though TBH i prefer to read in paper and thus would require some digging. As for the civility thing being better and going and changing things. Sorry i on;t see that working anymore. Besides i doubt he has the dgrees and other things required to do that. These days so many things are required even for BASIC civil rights things that there is little to no hope of one man or even a neighborhood having anything done.

    For a large group like yours yes you have a fair bit of hope for a man and some neighbors sorry but i don't see any.

    edit and as for the assume bit i wasn't the fact that you're trying to change them PROVES you don;t think that i am saying that for guys like this civility obviously doesn't work. He even said that he tried the civil road and it didn't help.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •