Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    I have watch only horror movies and my favourite horror movie are The Ring, The Shining, The Amityville Horror, Nightmare of Elm Street, Dawn of The Dead, Storm of the Century, The Exorcism of Emily Rose and Drag Me To Hell

Deleted
    The Shining - - - great one right here
    Jaws - - - - - - - i know it's not really a horror movie but it freaked the shit out of me as a kid
    The Blair Wich Project - - - What!? I thought it was well done
    Event Horizon - - Just. Awesome.
    Friday the 13th - - pretty sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by Supercoven View Post
    It
    The Shining
    Storm of the Century
    The Langoliers
    Rose Red
    Generally I'd avoid Stephen King horror films, I don't know what is about them that just doesn't translate well into films. "The Shining" is possibly the exception to this (specifically the jack nicholson version from Kubrick - the film version of the mini series has it's moments but just isn't as good).

If you have a fear of clowns or a general dislike of them then "IT" has some scares but when compared to the book it is a rather poor version.

Leaning more towards action than horror "The Running Man" is a pretty decent film based of a King book although it has about as much in common with the book as the recent "I Am Legend" does with Richard Matheson's book.

I really like "The Host" (South Korean), it is a great monster film where you can really see the advantages of not being a Hollywood film in terms of shaping the story.

The Nightmare on Elm street series is good although I'd probably stop at the original 5 as after that they get weird.

Going against what I said about King the "Children Of The Corn" is also a great series, its not really a film version of King's book but more has the book as its inspiration.

Where's all the good japanese horror movie lovers? The asian market makes some of the most suspenseful and sometimes downright over-the-top gory movies such as:

Audition (one of my favorites)
    Ichi the Killer
    Any of the Guinea Pig films, hard to find but worth it for the gore
    Battle Royale
    Tetsuo: The Iron Man (a bit artsy at times for my taste but good)
    Oldboy
    Pulse
    Ju-On and Ju-On 2 (The Grudge and The Grudge 2)
    Marebito

I Spit on your Grave
    Last House on the Left
    Cropsey
    The Devil's Backbone

and the scariest movie I've ever seen, "Jesus Camp" about the indoctrination of children into conservative, right wing, evangelical hate thought

One of the scariest movies i have ever watched as a kid was Jaws, it gave me nightmares for months. I would get knocked overboard and see that massive mouth full of teeth and that big black eye =O.

I would have to agree with you guys on the horror movies from japan, Audition and A tale of two sisters were twisted

Evil Dead and movies like that are classic

Oh yea and a couple of years ago i watched this french horror movie (forgot the name), but it was about this woman who attacks another woman who is pregnant because she wants the child. The crazy one ends up killing cops and trying to cut the unborn kid out of the womans womb >.<
    Last edited by Lyo; 2011-04-19 at 02:17 PM.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    First, some of my favorites:

Phone - Japanese horror. Gave my wife the creeps for days with this one. Far better than Ringu, etc.

They - I've seen adults who couldn't sit through this movie... then again, they watched it at my place after midnight, in the dark, with surround sound... You've got to set the mood

White Noise - Great movie, all around. Even the predictable parts are still performed very well. Gave some friends the chills with this one. Especially when you play the behind the scenes & documentary portions of the DVD, where they show real life examples of what happens in the movie. Great bang for the buck, here.

Oldboy - South Korean movie. Psychological Thriller & Action Movie, primarily. It can screw with your head if you really get into it. It's one of those "whoa, that's messed up" movies by the time you catch what's going on. Besides, it's extremely well done and probably one of the best movies to ever come out of Korea.

Now, responses to some of the ones posted earlier:

The Strangers - Predictable, start to finish. Very few "jumps" or "frights". All in all I found the movie to be quite run-of-the-mill and overall somewhat boring.

The Others - EXTREMELY good movie. Moreso once you take into account just how difficult it is for an actor, or actress, to do what Nicole Kidman did in that movie. She's solo on screen for something along the lines of 65% of the movie. And when she DOES have someone else on screen with her, it's usually just one or two other people. To carry a movie solely on ones shoulders is something the majority just couldn't do well.. let alone excel at. She is one of my favorite actresses, and her performance in this movie proves why I rank her so highly. For horror qualities, I'd rate the movie just above average. It's good, but doesn't have enough edge to bring it to the top of my list.

Drag Me to Hell - Most of this movie was actually rather bad. Extremely predictable and very much like many of the movies of the past decade.

Mirrors - Somewhat predictable but I'm a big fan of Keifer. Even though it's somewhat predictable it's done very well, and overall the movie was quite enjoyable.

Ringu, Ju-on, etc - Most japanese horror is about someone who died haunting people for revenge. If I'm going to watch what basically amounts to the same movie, over and over and over again, with just a slightly different flavor and cast in each, my vote goes to Phone. Of the lot it's the best, imo. In addition, it hasn't been remade into an american movie yet... there's something to be said for that.

The Begotten
    Google it. Youtube it.

For me it has to be the Friday the 13th movies on 1st place. I absolutely love those movies! Halloween, Nightmare on Elmstreet, REC and the Texas Chainsaw Massacre are next. The only horror film that scared the living &*%$ out of me was Childs Play though. It is giving me nightmares for 13 years now...

10+ Year Old Account
    Ichi The Killer is good, but you couldn't really class Battle Royale as a horror.

The scariest film I've seen (though more a suspense than outright horror) is Buried. Amazing film.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by savutitus View Post
    The Shining - - - great one right here
    Jaws - - - - - - - i know it's not really a horror movie but it freaked the shit out of me as a kid
    The Blair Wich Project - - - What!? I thought it was well done
    Event Horizon - - Just. Awesome.
    Friday the 13th - - pretty sweet.
    I agree with you. I really enjoyed The Blair Witch Project. but it wasnt really scary till the last scene in the house.

I thought Event Horizon was really strange, but not really scary. the whole spacecraft from hell aspect didnt really entice me that much.

On a different note, i thought The Thing was a pretty scary movie

that part were they try to defribulate the guy and it bites his arms off, that scared the shit out of me. also, i love the endings that leave you guessing.

Phantasm 1-4

One of the only films to give me a decent scare.

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

10+ Year Old Account
    paranormal entity - like paranormal activity but to me the ending was more fucked up then paranormal activity

paranormal activity - havn't seen # 2 but #1 was good

the exorcist

30 days of night

Without listing them all (because it would take forever), I'll just say a ton of the slightly older and older ones (when I say this, I mean... I dunno 90's and earlier?). Then I also like House of 1000 Corpses/Devil's Rejects... haven't seen his other work. On the fence about the latest Freddy movie... I kinda liked the cheesy lines from the old ones. Then a lot of the new ones just kinda look terrible... I suppose I should at least give them a chance, though, as previews don't necessarily mean everything.

Deleted
    Saw 4, a truly horrific movie, wait.. what?