Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
1
2
3
  1. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by Hothgor View Post
    I remember reading an article talking about SSD limited writes. The guy who was testing it basically said he (as a power user) Writes 7GB/Day. With his 200GB SSD, and 10000 writes, it would take him 10-15 years before he started showing performance degradation. Since most people upgrade after 2-3 years, there is no reason to worry at all.


    You could even use a tool like this to estimate how long it'll last.

  2. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisgoat View Post
    You don't buy them because they are good performance/money.
    You don't buy so huge SSDs to store things on.

    You buy them because you don't want to wait, and think the time wasted, staring at the screen where nothing happens, is one hell of a big of an annoyance.
    Trust me, have everything on your SSDs, then completely transfer everything onto them onto a fresh 7200 RPM-drive. You *will* feel the difference and hate it afterwards.
    That's human nature I'm not saying they aren't faster. Just think though in 2 years when faster SSDs come out you'll hate the one you have now.

    I thought my old computer was good until I built my new one, but my old machine is still faster than the new machines we got at work....

    All i'm saying is for the performance isn't enough yet.

    And I would like to know what your machines were like before the SSD my machine doesn't really have too much lag.. I mean It takes like 45sec to startup which is enough time for me to flick on me PC grab a beer and adjust my fat arse in the chair. then I click the WoW icon move to the login button press it and it loads up we are talking maybe 1.5 to wow from off. NOW if an SSD can take that time down to 5 seconds than yes i would happily spend the money but i know that aint true just based on OS software and WoW software restrictions. Any online content is going to be reduced to their server and internet connection and as far as ripping or burning CD's what is this 1999 bit torrent that... which is again limited my the P2P connection.l doesn't matter if your drive writes 5TB/sec limited to your connection to the server. I never see my FPS drop below 55fps on ultra settings in wow with 2 clients streaming netflix and having a browser up... the only time I see performance issues is when im connecting to sites that are having server issues so would i notice an performance increase yes... do i need it no

  3. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by Hothgor View Post
    I remember reading an article talking about SSD limited writes. The guy who was testing it basically said he (as a power user) Writes 7GB/Day. With his 200GB SSD, and 10000 writes, it would take him 10-15 years before he started showing performance degradation. Since most people upgrade after 2-3 years, there is no reason to worry at all.
    Well the problem that you get after 10k writes isn't performance degradation, the cells just stop working. Pretty much the drive will start to die.
    Performance degradation is when all the cells on the drive have been written to at least once and the drive has to erase something(which is slow) to put something new down. TRIM and Garbage Collection are designed to mostly prevent this from happening.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2

  4. #44
    TOTALLY NOT
    Banned
    tetrisGOAT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    12,843
    Quote Originally Posted by Donax View Post
    That's human nature I'm not saying they aren't faster. Just think though in 2 years when faster SSDs come out you'll hate the one you have now.
    Having any piece of single hardware for 2years+, would make one hate it.
    My F60 is pleeenty fast for me, and I intend to keep it for its life-length.
    My new SSD that I'll buy for my laptop is even slower, but bigger in size. Pleenty fine in speed.

  5. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by Donax View Post
    That's human nature I'm not saying they aren't faster. Just think though in 2 years when faster SSDs come out you'll hate the one you have now.
    Then you realize that when you wait and buy those SSD's 2 years from now something new and shiny is coming out that is better than it. I really don't see your point? Sure, buying new and shiny stuff right as it comes off the assembly line isn't for everyone but for a lot of people it's worth it even if it's more expensive because it's not like if you wait for 2 years and then buy it at a cheaper price it's going to be the best thing around...

    They want the best, they pay for it. It's a non issue.

    All that being said I currently use HDD but have been considering SSD's for a little while now.

  6. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by Exorbitant Rage View Post
    Then you realize that when you wait and buy those SSD's 2 years from now something new and shiny is coming out that is better than it. I really don't see your point? Sure, buying new and shiny stuff right as it comes off the assembly line isn't for everyone but for a lot of people it's worth it even if it's more expensive because it's not like if you wait for 2 years and then buy it at a cheaper price it's going to be the best thing around...

    They want the best, they pay for it. It's a non issue.

    All that being said I currently use HDD but have been considering SSD's for a little while now.
    Funny thing is all i said is right now for me having the SSD with its slight performance increase isn't worth it.. everyone basically just said I was wrong for feeling that way...

  7. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by Donax View Post
    Funny thing is all i said is right now for me having the SSD with its slight performance increase isn't worth it.. everyone basically just said I was wrong for feeling that way...
    It seems more like you are saying it isn't worth it in general, which for some it is, some it isn't.

  8. #48
    look back at all my post ive always said for me it isnt worth it.

    Now should i have left it alone. yes but im at work and bored so there ya go

  9. #49
    as an owner of a ocz vertex2 SSD, and a 10,000 RPM drive, there is 0 comparison. the ssd blows this thing out of the water... its not just the speed of windows opening, or programs opening that your paying for, it's revolutionary. your paying for what i reccommend to consumers as the single best bang for your buck upgrade you can buy on a computer. weather your just an emailer or a hardcore gamer... an SSD drive makes your experience with your OS much more enjoyable than any machine on an HDD raid array... everything in your os increases... wheather it be speed of opening applications. to making a right click on a folder... there is 0 lag and 0 choppyness like i said its revolutionary and when you just click around on a SSD equipped machine for a couple minutes you can feel the difference immediately.

  10. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by Donax View Post
    it's true that computers are bottlenecked at storage mediums but any benchmarks i've seen haven't made me want to spend excess money on little performance increase. I can cold start to wow login in screen in about 2 minutes right now.. I personally don't think an extra $400 to be able to do it in 1 minutes is worth it.
    It's not a little performance increase, which is what your entire argument boils down to.

    The mechanical storage systems on computers are several orders of magnitude slower than anything else in your computer.

    The difference for me is now my browser, email and office programs load instantly. Photoshop opens in 2 seconds instead of 20. Games are the same story. Where on my old disk drive, it would take ages loading textures and things from random parts of the drive, maps load within a few seconds. I can open multiple programs at the same time and nothing bogs down. There's no whirring sound coming from the computer other than the fans. Everything is snappy.

  11. #51
    Epic!
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    1,520
    Ok so... I bought an 80gb SSD on my way home from work tonight... I installed it... and.... I'm in fucking heaven!!

    Apps load instantly, and I mean instantly no wait what-so-ever. I can set every single one of my apps to load on startup and my computer will completely restart with all the apps loaded in less than 10 seconds. I'm fucking love it.... XD

    Though I'm going to have to ditch my SuperDrive so I can mount my stock 500gb harddrive there, not like I ever use CDs/DVDs anyway lol
    Last edited by Tyrianth; 2011-03-29 at 03:52 AM.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

  12. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by Hothgor View Post
    I remember reading an article talking about SSD limited writes. The guy who was testing it basically said he (as a power user) Writes 7GB/Day. With his 200GB SSD, and 10000 writes, it would take him 10-15 years before he started showing performance degradation. Since most people upgrade after 2-3 years, there is no reason to worry at all.
    The big issue with that is making sure your drive partitions are properly aligned. That will ensure maximum life.

    The second issue is data retention. Due to the way current tech works, do not use SSD for long term storage.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •