Thread: Buyer's Remorse

Buyer's Remorse

I've recently purchased this rig through ibuypower. I should have built it myself but I just went ahead and did it anyways. I did my homework on most of the parts but I think I messed up on the power supply and I'm wondering how bad off I am. Here is my setup:

1 x CaseCoolerMaster HAF 922 Gaming Case - Black
    1 x ProcessorIntel® Core™ i5-2500K Processor (4x 3.30GHz/6MB L3 Cache)
    1 x Processor CoolingLiquid CPU Cooling System [SOCKET-1155 & 1156] - [Free Upgrade] Standard 120mm Fan
    1 x Memory4 GB [2 GB X2] DDR3-1333 Memory Module - ** FREE Upgrade to DDR3-1600 ** Corsair or Major Brand
    1 x Video CardAMD Radeon HD 6950 - 2GB - Single Card
    1 x Video Card BrandMajor Brand Powered by ATI or NVIDIA
    1 x MotherboardGigabyte GA-P67A-UD3-B3
    1 x Power Supply750 Watt -- Thermaltake TR2 TRX-750M
    1 x Primary Hard Drive1 TB HARD DRIVE -- 16M Cache, 7200 RPM, 3.0Gb/s - Single Drive
    1 x Sound CardCreative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio
    1 x Operating SystemMicrosoft Windows 7 Home Premium + Office Starter 2010 (Includes basic versions of Word and Excel) - 64-Bit

I didn't research the psu beforehand- My thinking was instead of going with the 700w standard option I'd go one up with a named brand 750. After the fact checking out reviews I see this power supply can become unstable around 600 some watts. Does anyone know how worried I should be with the components I have?

I was planning on overclocking the cpu just around 4.6,7 so nothing crazy since I've never overclocked before.

Thermaltake is a pretty reputable brand... I wouldn't be worried.

I had already typed up an answer and you go on deleting the other thread -.-

However, like I was going to say; If you don't overclock, I'll eat my hat if you manage to draw more than 350w.
    If you do overclock stuff, I'll eat my hat if you manage to draw more than 450w.
    In other words; You are very fine in that regard.

And I hope you didn't buy an additional soundcard beyond what's on the motherboard (it does look like it), because without high-end and expensive speakers/headphones, chances are the difference will be slim to be noticed.

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    The TR2 750 is pretty awful, but it only gets very dangerous when you push it too far from what I hear. I'd replace it ASAP anyway.
    red panda red panda red panda!

it's huge and 80+B so I wouldn't worry about it at all as far as power consumption goes....

the biggest complaints are noise, and premature failure. So you could RMA it if you get either of those issues.

however, I did find this http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/artic...y-Review/902/9

It can’t deliver its labeled wattage at high temperatures, but this is not the worst of it: ripple and noise level are way above the maximum allowed when you pull 80% or more from the unit’s labeled capacity (i.e., 600 W and above)
    you aren't pushing it hard at all so in theory it should work well for you
    Current System - Ultra Budget <$550 (Reused: 19" monitor, KB and mouse)
    Case: Xion Echo $50 PSU: Antec EarthWatts EA-500D $50
    Win 7 OEM: $99 HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 250GB 16MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s $45
    CPU/MB Combo: MSI 880GMA-E45 / Phenom II x3 720 2.8 (OC 3.5) $150
    GPU: MSI R5670 CYCLONE 1G Radeon HD 5670 $89
    Mem: G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2GB 1333 (pc10666) $45
    DVD Burner: Asus 24x $18
    - update: 2/16/11 added Hyper 212 CPU Cooler $30