Al'Akir Normal Positioning for 10man

Could someone MS Paint me up a diagram of how you do Al'Akir? The more the better. My Raid is currently in 5 groups (2 people per group) spread out to match the chains holding up his platform. But this is giving some people problems and I was wondering if there is a better way to do it. (Its Phase 1 thats giving us the problems.)

I dont understand what problems you would be having. The healing needed to be done with 2 people is so small and p1 lasts like 1 min at most. Are you running 2 tanks and 3 healers? Becuase if so that might be whats causing extra p1` problems, drop a healer and a tank.

1 tank, 3 healers. If we dropped a healer, It seems like there would be too much damage going out.

Just a crappily-drawn chart of how you should be spreading out.

Tank = Red
    Heals = Green
    DPS = Black

There are dots on the floor that you should line up with, a darkish-tan color, in between the white spade-looking things.

Oh, and congrats, you made me use my Bamboo tablet that I haven't used in years.
    Last edited by Vook; 2011-03-29 at 03:16 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Precursor View Post
    "Fall of therzane....." ....um what? if that woman fell , god help us it will be the second cataclysm
    Words that lots of people don't seem to know the definition of:
    "Troll", "Rehash", "Casual", "Dead", "Dying", "Exploit".

Thats almost the same as we have been doing except we were lining up on the Spade things. If im tanking him right where that chart shows, will his squall lines always appear at 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock? (compared to where he is facing)

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by moveth View Post
    1 tank, 3 healers. If we dropped a healer, It seems like there would be too much damage going out.
    More damage is realative to how long you stay in p2, We 2 healed it with a priest and a Pally several times, but your dps has to be good, no 12k dps on this sort of thing.

Alright. We will try to 2 heal it come Tuesday, and see how it goes.

2 Healing is actually easier on this fight, and it made it more fun for me(Holy pally) and the resto shammy. We wiped a bunch three healing and always ended with al akir at like 2% and the last person dying. Switched to 2 heal and downed him in one attempt. It helped that our druid healer is actually feral dps mainspec and could stay on the boss pulling like 20k.

Phase 1 goes quicker which means less chance of RNG screwing you over. Phase 2 goes quicker which means less time for the debuff to stack up and therefore much less overall healing needed during that phase. And phase 3 in my experience is one of those try to heal people up if you can, but someone is gonna be dumb and get themselves killed anyway type fights. So more dps means higher chance of damage staying on the boss till the very last person dies.

Can be done with 2 or 3 healers, but imo it's much easier with 2 healers since you can kind of brute force through things a bit. Plus it's fun to say you 2 healed fights like that. Only fights our guild hasn't two healed is conclave of the winds(for obvious reasons) and Nef, for obvious reasons.
    Last edited by lil pink pwny; 2011-03-29 at 04:14 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lil pink pwny View Post
    conclave of the winds(for obvious reasons) and Nef, for obvious reasons.
    Even conclave isnt really too bad 2 healing if you stick something like a couple warlocks over there that can stay up with self heals.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gumdrop House, Lollipop Lane, Happy Land.
    Killed him for the first time on normal last night - unfortunately one of our healers bit the dust in phase 1 and we didn't have a combat ress available for him - so basically 2 man healed the fight.
    It's not that bad actually, quite doable.
    I'm sure it would have made the kill easier with an extra dps, instead of our poor druid being very depressed and very dead on the platform.

Oops, and actually on topic: Our positioning was the same as in the diagrams in the thread.
    Last edited by Kerath; 2011-03-29 at 09:19 AM.
    Avatar and signature made by ELYPOP

Deleted
    I'd say the two healing - three healing depends completely on how well you stack the debuff. With our group we run with three healers and can go through p2 without bloodlust and with everyone alive if the debuff stacking goes well. I haven't tried it with two healers, but I believe that while it's doable with two, it's not really much harder with three.

Cho'gall is a boss where I really recommend two healing since the increasing amount of adds makes avoiding corruption harder and harder, but Al'akir has no such mechanic: there's just pure stacking damage. If people can avoid stuff in p1/p2 (p1 seriously isn't as bad as people make it sound to be, we rarely wipe in it and p2 is easy as hell in terms of avoiding the tornado wall) and debuff stacking goes fine there's absolutely no problem with doing it more slowly. P3 is very much doable with half your raid dead as long as you have a healer up, so while more dps would make it easier, it's not an issue in any case.

The extra dps in a 1 tank fight makes boss go down roughly 15% faster and extra dps in a 2 tank fight makes boss go down roughly 17% faster. It's a considerable boost and especially in Cho'gall definately worth it if that means you can handle on wave of adds less. I'd say all fights except Chimaeron, Conclave and Nefarian are definately two healable without too huge problems, but there's no real reason to two heal them either since they're easy with three healers too.

Deleted
    10mans lol
    <Mod edit: Infracted>
    Last edited by Chelly; 2011-03-29 at 09:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pirAa View Post
    10mans lol
    trolls lol
    Last edited by Chelly; 2011-03-29 at 09:40 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by pirAa View Post
    10mans lol
    Are you trolling? 10 mans are actually pretty difficult, and there are ALOT of instances of 10 mans being considerably harder than their 25 man cousins - Nefarian, Cho'Gall, Halfus, Chimaeron hc to name just 4.

Alot of the harder fights require more than two tanks, or have specific requirements of the group, such as heavy ranged control (such as Cho'Gall adds).

If you say 10 mans lol, then you've clearly never tried Nefarian on 10.

Woops, I got trolled
    Last edited by Chelly; 2011-03-29 at 09:41 AM.

Deleted

This is a screen from Tankspot's How to by Aliena I think. We basically use this. Exception is me, as a feral, standing whole P1 right behind, self healing with instant HT after every burst. See the ornaments on the floor? That's where you should be returning to asap after every movement. Just be carefull with stacking too much when avoiding the tornados, as even one Lightning strike can kill a few ppl, if they don't spread as they should.
    Last edited by mmoc3901d91d40; 2011-03-29 at 09:45 AM.