H Maloriak 10 Man from Holy Perspective

My guild started our first attempts on H Maloriak 10 man last night, and I am a little lost. From what I can tell, none of the strategizing affects me. I don't trap, freeze, kite, dps, or interrupt. So, how can I maximize myself for this fight?

I am thinking about putting the melee all in one group for PoH, as they seem to take more damage. I will drop PoM on the main tank or the adds tank? Renews on both tanks. Save divine hymn for final phase? Any specific positioning needed for me? Just stay out of the ooze on the ground? (Does it do anything other than just cause damage?)

And, how do I handle the healing debuff the tank gets?

Our guild did this on 25 man which is a little different but I will try to answer some of your basic questions.

I would put PoM on the add tank since they get hit constantly and generally there are others getting hit by the dark sludge near them as well. It doesn't do anything other than damage, but it ticks every half second so it doesn't take long to take someone's health down.

The tank on the boss can only be healed in the dark phase while the boss is casting Engulfing darkness. It is a 3 second cast (he waves his hands in front of him) but an 8 second channel. During the channel he cannot be healed so you have 3 seconds to get him as close to full health as you can before the next channel.

During the red phase you will want to drop your lightwell, have any and all shaman in the raid cast healing rain, and being a 10 man group you will want use HW: Sanctuary. But you want to time it correctly. You want to drop it right before scorching blast which is not immediately casted when you group up. If you time it well, you will have it down for two scorching blasts (they are 11 seconds apart) and it makes the spell fairly efficient.

Depending on your raid composition you will want to use Aura Mastery, Barrier, Divine Guardian to also help reduce the raid damage of those scorching blasts. Be sure to designate a person to heal the Flash Freeze person, and that person will want to be in the middle of the room to have range on everyone. We have had a non resto druid pop tranq and non-healing priest pop DH to help during the red phase as well since we generally save all our really big heals for that last phase when everyone starts taking massive damage.

There are periods of high damage and low damage, and during the low damage phases (blue and green) regen your mana. On the first green phase I send my fiend in and use Hymn of Hope. On the second blue phase I will used a Potion of Concentration. It's a long fight so you will generally get two uses of your fiend in there.

Here is the video I made of our first kill, again it's 25 man but it may help some. I actually find this fight to be pretty fun. Good luck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v...w_aA&vq=hd1080
    Last edited by Ariahna; 2011-03-29 at 07:49 PM.

Melee will always undoubtedly be taking more damage in this fight, as a lose add can be aggroed to melee and cause a puddle to spawn right under them. It's really, just not a great melee fight by any means. With that being said, the fight doesn't begin until Phase 2.

Maximize yourself by respecing discipline. There is so much damage going out constantly, your raid bubble, on top of DA + PW:S are going to way over put anything a holy priest would have to offer.

This fight is all about knowing what's going to come next, there are periods with large heavy raiddamage, and periods with barely any damage. Utilize your spells in such a way that you regen when you can, and go all out when you must. I haven't beaten this encounter as holy spec, I've always been disc but I'll try to give you an overview of how I tackle this fight:

Black phase

PoM on cooldown on the add tank, let it bounce between the melee, I often holy nova if we have aberrations up at the same time to help with dps while still doing 'okay' healing to the melee + tank. As for healing the main tank, time your greater heal so it lands right after the channel is done, and cast another one immediately after, if you make sure you're in holy word: serenity, you can also hit your serenity straight after the second GH, this should be enough to top your tank off. Tip: Self-healing classes like DK and prot pala are ace for main tanking this.

Red phase:

Utilize raid cooldowns for every scorch breath, make sure the person who receives the debuff runs out or clears it with iceblock/bubble/cloak. Also try to time your interrupts for aberrations in such a way that you do not interrupt them during red phase - this way you ensure only getting 2 scorch blasts instead of three. Look closely at timers - if it looks like a third scorch breath will land before next phase, hit your divine hymn to top ppl off quickly after the second breath.

Blue phase

This is your regen phase, stay in Serenity, keep renew up on both tanks and just use Heal to top them off. Use a GH on people who get flash freeze, other than that try to play mana-conserving during this phase.

Phase 2

The time to go all out, but make sure you keep enough mana to deal with Acid Nova, it's very heavy raiddamge and you need to be actively dishing out high HPS from the second it goes off to keep your groups up. If anyone messes up on frost bomb, toss them a shield so they can run back fast to continue dps, and have a small health buffer to survive any other incoming damage. PoM should be up before acid nova hits, and hit it again when the charges ran out. Have your lightwell out, and make sure your raid utilizes it during acid nova.

This is from the top of my head, remember I play as disc so if I forgot a spell or two don't bash my head in

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Maisey View Post
    My guild started our first attempts on H Maloriak 10 man last night, and I am a little lost. From what I can tell, none of the strategizing affects me. I don't trap, freeze, kite, dps, or interrupt. So, how can I maximize myself for this fight?

I am thinking about putting the melee all in one group for PoH, as they seem to take more damage. I will drop PoM on the main tank or the adds tank? Renews on both tanks. Save divine hymn for final phase? Any specific positioning needed for me? Just stay out of the ooze on the ground? (Does it do anything other than just cause damage?)

And, how do I handle the healing debuff the tank gets?
    Black phase, pom OT so it will bounce with melee. Putting melee in one grp is always a good idea. Renew on main tank does very little. Watch the cast bar on boss and cast greater heal to land directly after he finishes his cast followed by another greater heal (if needed), your other healers should also be doing this! If the MT tank dips low while flame is going pws him. Blue phase is pretty trivial, pom mt and heal random people. Red phase is a bit more tricky. Pop a sanctuary circle (yes that useless spell), tell people to stand in it and then force them to click the lightwell after breaths. Rest is just spamming poh/coh to heal up, if someone is low and you see the breath about to come you can pws them or even guardian spirit if its critical. You can use divine hymn whenever, i tend to use it in final phase due to smart heal component and heroism.

This is very helpful.

Thanks all.