Alright friends, I have a question about windows 7.

Now I am building my own computer from scratch so nothing is going to be on it operating system wise. Does this mean that I am going to need to buy the full version of windows 7 and not the upgrade? Just thought that I would confirm this before I went and payed $100 more for the full version.

You can buy the OEM-version, usually cheaper than retail.
    And yea, you kind of have to buy either of those. Sorry.

I know I need to buy one, but I'm not sure if I need the full version or the upgrade. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Xyres View Post
    I know I need to buy one, but I'm not sure if I need the full version or the upgrade. :P
    And that's what I answered for you. Either retail or OEM. Not upgrade.

Ah, sorry about that. I'm still new to building my own rigs. I appreciate the help.

You can buy the upgrade if you have a previous version.

You are eligible to purchase an upgrade to any version of Windows 7 if you own any previous version of Windows starting with XP or later. Windows 98, 2000, and ME don’t qualify you to purchase an upgrade. If the PC you want to install Windows 7 on has a version of Windows older than XP, you will need to purchase a full retail or OEM version of Windows 7.

Quote Originally Posted by ayako View Post
    You can buy the upgrade if you have a previous version.

You are eligible to purchase an upgrade to any version of Windows 7 if you own any previous version of Windows starting with XP or later. Windows 98, 2000, and ME don’t qualify you to purchase an upgrade. If the PC you want to install Windows 7 on has a version of Windows older than XP, you will need to purchase a full retail or OEM version of Windows 7.
    Well, doesn't he have to have it on that specific computer, as well? I thought you did.

There's a way of setting it up so the previous OS is on another drive when you install and still have it work and accept the key. It's also possible to do a clean install and still use an upgrade key, DO NOT TRY THIS IF YOU'RE BUYING A FRESH COPY, it might NOT work. I would only do this if you had an upgrade key lying around already.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2

Just install the old version, and then it'll boot into doing clean install option. (Only Vista can do true-upgrade)

Quote Originally Posted by ayako View Post
    Just install the old version, and then it'll boot into doing clean install option. (Only Vista can do true-upgrade)
    True enough.

I stand corrected, I always assume people have OEMs.