Thread: halp-New PC

Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

halp-New PC

hello, i'v been browsing mmo champion for about 2 years but this is my first post, the reason i have made this post is to ask for your help in finding me a new computer recently i have started playing rift and i feel that my old computer is outdated so i was wondering if anyone had any advice to offer my budget is rather small around 700$
    ps. id like to be able to run rift on high to ultra around 30+fps in invasions /raids( i know this is alot to ask on such a small budget )

Deleted
    Ouf, I foresee a LOT of flaming in this thread

High to Ultra settings on a $700 budget? Do you have any components that you're carrying over? If you're talking a complete build from the ground up...highly unlikely.

i see well how much do you guess it would cost to buy a computer that is able to run at high at like 30 fps

Probably somewhere in the realm of $900-$1200

Lower your expectations to *medium-high* settings and $700 is more plausible.

ugh fuck cant post links
    well yeh im fine wiht med-high anyhting is better then what i have i can upgrade parts in a bit when i finish university and start working
    well if anyone cares enough
    i was looking at some of the computers on the future shop website i was looking at the -Gateway Intel Core i3 550 Computer (DX4840-11C) i konw its cheap and not great bla bla just let me know what yathink its able to preform at

also looking at the -Gateway Intel Core i5-2300 Computer (DX4850-43CU)
    and the -HP Pavilion AMD Phenom II Quad Core 955 Desktop (P6741F)

15+ Year Old Account
    If you're buying anything from a major manufacturer like that just burn your money. It will be more effective.

if you don't want to build your own, ibuypower.com and cyberpowerinc.com are going to be your best options
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

i know those site would be better but id be paying over 150$ in shipping as i live in east coast canada XD

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by llDemonll View Post
    If you're buying anything from a major manufacturer like that just burn your money. It will be more effective.

if you don't want to build your own, ibuypower.com and cyberpowerinc.com are going to be your best options
    Know any good sites for the UK? :P

15+ Year Old Account
    www.cyberpowerinc.co.uk is their UK counterpart, i dont think ibuypower has a uk counterpart
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

haha btw if anyone has the time or interest it would be greatly apreciated if anyone could go to ibuypower or cyberpower and throw together a decent setup for 700ish dollers

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I bought a PC from cyberpower, worst mistake ever. PC arrived with the video card laying on the processor, which was DOA after I reinstalled it. It also cracked the CPU fan, so that had to be replaced also. The power supply died about a month after use. They use the cheapest parts that would probably cost you about half of what they charge you if you did it on your own.

15+ Year Old Account
    If you can swing $100-$200 extra you can get an immensely better computer than what $700 would get you

Question. What resolution are you intending to play on? I bet people expect you to go 1920x1080. If you have a monitor with a native 1680x1050 (or lower) odds are better you'd be able to reach those settings with that budget.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nerfducken View Post
    I bought a PC from cyberpower, worst mistake ever. PC arrived with the video card laying on the processor, which was DOA after I reinstalled it. It also cracked the CPU fan, so that had to be replaced also. The power supply died about a month after use. They use the cheapest parts that would probably cost you about half of what they charge you if you did it on your own.
    Don't let one man's experience (albeit poor, I'm sure he got an awful power supply, and the video cards are bound to get bumped out in transit every once and awhile) ruin yours. I completely trust CyberPower for all computer purchases, and they come with a 3 year warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzykins View Post
    Don't let one man's experience (albeit poor, I'm sure he got an awful power supply, and the video cards are bound to get bumped out in transit every once and awhile) ruin yours. I completely trust CyberPower for all computer purchases, and they come with a 3 year warranty.
    and you have your opinion, both have equal rights on posting your thoughts

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Solarshot View Post
    and you have your opinion, both have equal rights on posting your thoughts
    I wasn't gunning down his opinion, I was saying this is an unusual case of unfortunate circumstances. It's not a 24/7 thing.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzykins View Post
    No excuse for a video card coming out of a slot. A good technician will have secured that with a screw, especially knowing that it is going to be shipped. After I had bought that PC, 3 other newegg reviews had the same issue, the reviews before I bought mine were good. QA is definitely lacking with them.

FYI I am A+ certified and know what a good PC build is.
    Last edited by nerfducken; 2011-03-29 at 09:26 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nerfducken View Post
    No excuse for a video card coming out of a slot. A good technician will have secured that with a screw, especially knowing that it is going to be shipped.

FYI I am A+ certified and know what a good PC build is.
    Congratulations, I've built many PC's myself. I understand that there's no excuse for a video card coming out, I'm just saying it's not a usual thing. I've heard of maybe 3 people on these forums that have poor experiences, and you're the first that has had something physically fall off of his computer. I don't recommend going around bragging with FYI's either, as it makes you look quite pretentious. A lot of the poor experiences can be attributed to a shipping accident. CyberPower doesn't carry the thing to your house themselves. Once it's out of the door, it's out of their hair.

Alot of cases these days dont use screws.... and A+ doesnt mean shit, thats like the lowest cert you can get.