Thread: Chaos Bolt Fix

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    They could make casting chaos bolt make your next soul fire instant, or as people said increase the damage by like 30%. It's way to boring for a 31 pointer.

I am personally happy with how Chaos Bolt works. As said before me, it gives back health and mana, and procs replenishment for the raid. It does do more damage than incinerate, and does have a shorter cast time, so it is a dps increase. I do however find it depressing still that Blizzard would give destro 2pc bonus a reduced cast time for a spell, when it pushed it up on the damage overall chart by such a small margin I felt embarassed. (I'm not sure how good the afflic bonus and demo bonus is for 2pc, hope you guys didn't shed as many tears as I did.)

On the off-topic on dps sims, are you guys who are talking about destro/afflic balogna going by standstill sims? I don't sim myself, but from the graphs I read up on on EJ, Destro beats the other specs on fights that require lots of movement. Maybe this was a wierd graph, maybe it was updated for 4.1 since the last time I checked up on it. But if it is the same, well...not every fight is a standstill Patchwerk-lol-imagoodlocklookatmydps-fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Malgru View Post
    So you're saying you want Chaos Bolt damage doubled?

Well, I don't play a warlock, but this may cause a few issues in PvP...
    This is why we need seperate trees for pvp pve ar atleast seperate effect.. PvP allways fucks with PvE

Quote Originally Posted by Rathmorne View Post
    On the off-topic on dps sims, are you guys who are talking about destro/afflic balogna going by standstill sims? I don't sim myself, but from the graphs I read up on on EJ, Destro beats the other specs on fights that require lots of movement. Maybe this was a wierd graph, maybe it was updated for 4.1 since the last time I checked up on it. But if it is the same, well...not every fight is a standstill Patchwerk-lol-imagoodlocklookatmydps-fight.
    I haven't seen a sim for 4.1 with movement yet. And yeah, destro beats affliction for movement on live.

the thing is, all three specs are really really close....the difference can be more than made up by skill.

Quote Originally Posted by pancakez View Post
    This is why we need seperate trees for pvp pve ar atleast seperate effect.. PvP allways fucks with PvE
    We feel the same way. "X class isn't where we want it to be on damage. Buff in." "X class is now too good in PvP. Nerfing completely different ability to counter this."

Yes, I know this is a PvE oriented game and PvP should always be thought about second, blah, blah, blah. Fact is, both aspects have a huge population and need to be kept happy. Personally, I do both but I enjoy PvP a lot more because it seems more like a video game and less RPGish that way. However; I like RPGs and stuff (which is why I play) so every now and then I go slay me some dragons.

I have never understood why Blizzard doesn't have PvE and PvP effects for spells. It would allow for much more balance and versatility (All specs PvP viable) in PvP since they would actually be able to make each spec function its own way without gimping PvE in any way.

PS: To the people saying you are gimping the raid by not casting CB for replenishment... There should already be a minimum of 3-4 other classes there that can proc it. Anything more than 3 isn't worth it since it's 10 per.

Quote Originally Posted by Orcheon View Post
    Affliction tends to have a much larger dropoff when not played perfectly, as well. Destruction is much more forgiving.
    ...and Santa Claus exists, the world is flat, birds were dinosaurs, people were monkeys, Tupac is alive and hangs with Elvis and, etc... etc...
    success comes in the form of technical solutions to problems, not appeals to our emotional side

Deleted
    *When your Immolate spell is dispelled, the cooldown of your Chaos Bolt is refreshed.*

This would make Chaos Bolt more useful in PvP, the PvE damage would remain unchanged, and it would help with the complete lack of destro's dot dispell protection. Maybe add a short internal cooldown so you can't immolate everything and hope for chaos bolt spam.

What do u guys think?

In 4.1 90% of competitive warlock will play affliction, so yeah destro need a buff to aoe and single target.Chaos bolt need a buff similar to how mind blast got buff in 4.06 and another way to refresh/apply improve soul fire or just a longer duration then.

Destruction works fine the way it is. Keep Soulfire up, not hard, since 30% of the time, for me at least, it is instant cast from Imp proc or Soulburn. The burst is good for add control, and Bane of Havoc is a pie after thanksgiving dinner. Last patch Destro and Demo got mastery buffs, now Afflic is getting one. The numbers are close enough to leave the specs in comepeting levels, there isn't going to be a 1500 dps difference between them, unless someone is doing it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Rathmorne View Post
    Destruction works fine the way it is. Keep Soulfire up, not hard, since 30% of the time, for me at least, it is instant cast from Imp proc or Soulburn. The burst is good for add control, and Bane of Havoc is a pie after thanksgiving dinner. Last patch Destro and Demo got mastery buffs, now Afflic is getting one. The numbers are close enough to leave the specs in comepeting levels, there isn't going to be a 1500 dps difference between them, unless someone is doing it wrong.
    Affy is 2k dps ahead of destro in 4.1....

Quote Originally Posted by coolspot View Post
    In a tank and spank, without movment/Adds and no incoming damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellfury View Post
    In a tank and spank, without movment/Adds and no incoming damage.
    Tank and spank is were destro dominated the most...lol so with movement/adds it will be more then 2k...

so what? is there something I don't know that says destro has to be the highest DPS spec?

imo, ranking should be aff>destro>demo
    demo gives 10% spellpower, if it was highest, then anyone who wasn't demo would be failing
    destro gives replenishment, not that big of a deal, as that's provided by lots of spec, but still is a good bit of utility
    aff gives....umm...self healing? even then, because SB affliction can't get mana feed, it isn't that big a deal, as aff has to use lifetap alot.

either way, the specs are all close enough, that skill, not spec, determines your DPS.

Deleted
    People keep trying to find what to do with chaos bolt.. some say its damage can not be buffed cause then it will be OP... Isn't it Obvious that the greatest difference between destro in WotLK and destro in Cata is that destro now gets more % of his total damage from DOTS? Where is the NUKE CANNON spec?? THis spec is using even corruption and it has burning embers and doom AND a strong Imp.. I mention Imp because pets generally are one more "dot" in some way.. Cause it keeps doing damage while you cast something else.. And they put embers cause they wanted to invent something to make sure locks will use imp as destros.. Cause they knew that they will make it a mess with pets and we can see that happening live.. Affli used to play with sucy or imp now with felpupppy but the puppy will be very strong and who knows if it will be better than FG while succy is still better than FG etc etc... They haven't put much thought on how to make warlock builds. They might be fine DPS wise but they are not fine logic-wise. Affliction the master doter has way weaker dots than a priest and (atm) his damage is way lower. And the incoming buff is even shittier. they buff THE PET!!! THey buff something you send to attack and you "forget" (speaking in a simplifying way). Destruction is the NUKE spec and his nukes are the weakest ingame apart from conflagrate which is still weak compared to starsurge, mind blast, arcane blast, fireball bla bla bla bla blaaaa. Demo IS the pet spec and there is where our extra pet is shit... Just lol..

I know I went off topic in the end of the post but I cant keep from mentioning every warlock talent tree problem I find when I start talking about one of them..
    Last edited by mmoc5a79750b1d; 2011-04-01 at 01:16 AM.

I must have misssed it but when did 4.1 go live?

Quote Originally Posted by Veriu View Post
    so what? is there something I don't know that says destro has to be the highest DPS spec?

imo, ranking should be aff>destro>demo
    demo gives 10% spellpower, if it was highest, then anyone who wasn't demo would be failing
    destro gives replenishment, not that big of a deal, as that's provided by lots of spec, but still is a good bit of utility
    aff gives....umm...self healing? even then, because SB affliction can't get mana feed, it isn't that big a deal, as aff has to use lifetap alot.

either way, the specs are all close enough, that skill, not spec, determines your DPS.
    Im not saying destro should be higher... it should be close and in 4.1 it won't be if theres no change to destro....All competitive lock will play affliction.

Deleted
    Yes, it does need a buff. I don't really understand how it breaking through shields is actually good. Resistances are decreased to 0 in PvP and PvE by Spell pen or by CoE. If a priest pulls a bubbl,e I can cast chaos bolt, but it won't do anything because I still have to do enough damage to break the shield after I pierced through it. It's the same thing as just casting incinerate one more time.

Scenario 1:
    Priest at full health.
    Priest pulls bubble (30k damage absorb)
    Incinerate (23k damage absorb)
    Incinerate (16k damage absorb)
    Incinerate (9k damage absorb)
    Conflagrate (bubble gone)
    Incinerate
    Priest at full health minus 7k.

Scenario 2:
    Priest at full health
    Priest pulls bubble (30k absorb)
    Chaos bolt (Priest at full health minus 9k)
    Incinerate (23k damage absorb)
    Incinerate (16k damage absorb)
    Conflagrate (7k damage absorb)
    Incinerate (bubble gone)
    Priest at full health minus 7k.

Please inform me of the difference because it seems like I spent the same amount of time and casts.

Im not saying destro should be higher... it should be close and in 4.1 it won't be if theres no change to destro....All competitive lock will play affliction.
    Let something be clear here: At heroic gear levels destro warlock dps is pretty low compared to spriests, moonkins, hunters and in some cases even mages (who constantly whine about how horrible their dps is, while it's actually pretty good).

The affliction 'buffs' will do nothing, but bring us in line with these other classes, leaving destruction where it is now. Destro needs a fix that will stick once and for all.
    - CB needs to be instant (AB is instant and hits harder, why can't CB be instant?)
    - Shadow flame has to be removed from our single target priority rotation. The dps loss has to be made up elsewhere.
    - Corruption should be removed from our rotation completely.
    - No class should have a ridiculous 10 min cooldown on any ability.
    - Backdraft should affect SF
    - Empowered Imp procs should scale directly with our stats. Not indirectly with haste in their current form.
    success comes in the form of technical solutions to problems, not appeals to our emotional side

Quote Originally Posted by Metallon View Post
    People keep trying to find what to do with chaos bolt.. some say its damage can not be buffed cause then it will be OP... Isn't it Obvious that the greatest difference between destro in WotLK and destro in Cata is that destro now gets more % of his total damage from DOTS? Where is the NUKE CANNON spec?? THis spec is using even corruption and it has burning embers and doom AND a strong Imp.. I mention Imp because pets generally are one more "dot" in some way.. Cause it keeps doing damage while you cast something else.. And they put embers cause they wanted to invent something to make sure locks will use imp as destros.. Cause they knew that they will make it a mess with pets and we can see that happening live.. Affli used to play with sucy or imp now with felpupppy but the puppy will be very strong and who knows if it will be better than FG while succy is still better than FG etc etc... They haven't put much thought on how to make warlock builds. They might be fine DPS wise but they are not fine logic-wise. Affliction the master doter has way weaker dots than a priest and (atm) his damage is way lower. And the incoming buff is even shittier. they buff THE PET!!! THey buff something you send to attack and you "forget" (speaking in a simplifying way). Destruction is the NUKE spec and his nukes are the weakest ingame apart from conflagrate which is still weak compared to starsurge, mind blast, arcane blast, fireball bla bla bla bla blaaaa. Demo IS the pet spec and there is where our extra pet is shit... Just lol..

I know I went off topic in the end of the post but I cant keep from mentioning every warlock talent tree problem I find when I start talking about one of them..
    calm down a little bit could hardly read some of that because of the mix ups.

the main idea is pretty meh imo destro is pretty smooth in rotation right now besides the hard cast soul fires perhaps it(chaos bolt) could lower the cast time on it? or extend/renew soul fire buff.

the whole aff vs destro is saddening we are all warlocks despite the spec! we will play the spec we each perfer no matter what the dps is(enless ur in a hardcore guild).

I only dislike 2 things about the warlock class and its both demo, felguard not being main pet and the clunky rotation/shit dps if u have to move alot.

Quote Originally Posted by TobiasX View Post

How about if the overall damage was decreased but a talent in the demonology tree was changed to increase it's damage to where it currently is now? This would remove it unquestionably from affliction and destruction but still keep it part of the demonology rotation where the spec already has abilities that increase their damage when in melee range (immolation aura for example). It would also help cement demonology as the "melee range warlock" spec.
    while its a great idea its annoying for a caster to have to be in melee range when im playing the spec i like most and if i cant be in melee do to kiting boss or bad, my dps will be nerfed. for this to go thru the SB cast time would have to be lowered for demo so it isnt so punished on movement more then it already is.