View Poll Results: Is the Nintendo 3DS worth buying?

Voters
79. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    23 29.11%
  • No

    56 70.89%
Page 1 of 3
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #1
    The Lightbringer Kickbuttmario's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Mushroom Kingdom
    Posts
    3,119

    Nintendo 3DS isn't worth getting yet :(.

    Hi. So today I had a little debate with myself and would like to share my opinions on why people shouldn't bother getting the Nintendo 3DS in its current form. Here is why:

    - Crappy battery life
    - Crappy introduction games
    - No zelda, mario, kid icarus, et cetera in the introductin
    - This is Nintendo, it is very obvious they are going to release another version of it in the near future since they released 3 extra versions of the Nintendo 3DS
    - The things you could do with the Nintendo 3ds may be amazing at first, but will suck after a few days
    - No internet
    - Can't socialize with friends yet

    So do you guys think the Nintendo 3DS is worth getting yet?
    I am KickButtMario. I kick butt because I am Mario. The coolest, longest, living, protagonist out there in the video game industry.

    Currently playing WoW: BigFattMario TallKidLuigi PeachIsCute

  2. #2
    The Patient Glwys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Cardboard box behind McDonalds
    Posts
    268
    I'm don't plan on getting a 3ds because I can't see in 3d...not sure how much of an impact that would have on my gaming experience. Plus like you said, no LoZ: OoT
    "I do not concern myself with gods and spirits, either good or evil, nor do I serve any."

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldrinn View Post
    But yeah, I'll give you Glwys' soul in exchange for answers, Boub!
    And that's how I lost my soul...

  3. #3
    I'm not going to buy a 3DS period. It sounds just like another version of the DS. I'll wait until their next real console comes out, and I hope its not Wii 2 crap.

  4. #4
    I heard if yoy play with it on low-med 3d untill you get used to it, it pretty much rocks. Nothing has "amazing" games the first (?) week of its launch. Nothing to please everyone that is.

    Seems to me all your points are from hearsay or bad reviews.

    Crappy Battery life- this one could be true.
    Crappy Intro games- in your opinon
    Zelda, Mario, etc - mabye some people like lego starwars and hate the games u listed.
    Nintendo - valid.
    Effects- what would make it suck after a few days if you loved it at first? This dosent make sence. As in the novelty is wearing off on it?

    If you really are jonsing on the 3d bandwagon..get it.
    If not wait. No one here can convince you to get it if you arnt open to it in the first place.
    Gold selling site spam is an important part of our eco system.

    You see, there are currently to many puppies and kittens on this world.
    Every time a Goldseller spams his advertisement on the mmo-champion site, a puppy dies.
    Every time you ignore these threads and don't report them, a kitten dies.

  5. #5
    The Lightbringer Dewote's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    3,295
    I'll probably buy the next version of it, also I don't have enough money to buy 3DS right now.
    FC 2793-2016-8218 - Name: Suoma

  6. #6
    I'm loving the shit out of mine. Rayman: The Great Escape was one of my favorite N64 games so to be able to play it on my handheld is a dream come true. Not to mention, the 3D is really cool and I've had zero issues with the battery thus far; even running the C-Gear damn near constantly in Pokemon: Black and running the 3D each time I play Rayman or one of the AR games; my Wifi hasn't been turned off once. It's a really cool little system and while they're likely to come out with another soon, I'm enjoying the one I have and doubt I'll feel the need to replace it just as I never felt the need to replace my DS Lite 'til now.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucknazty View Post
    I heard if yoy play with it on low-med 3d untill you get used to it, it pretty much rocks. Nothing has "amazing" games the first (?) week of its launch. Nothing to please everyone that is.

    Seems to me all your points are from hearsay or bad reviews.

    Crappy Battery life- this one could be true.
    Crappy Intro games- in your opinon
    Zelda, Mario, etc - mabye some people like lego starwars and hate the games u listed.
    Nintendo - valid.
    Effects- what would make it suck after a few days if you loved it at first? This dosent make sence. As in the novelty is wearing off on it?

    If you really are jonsing on the 3d bandwagon..get it.
    If not wait. No one here can convince you to get it if you arnt open to it in the first place.
    OMG I love Lego Star Wars! And Lego Indiana Jones! And Lego Indiana Jones 2! And Lego Harry Potter 1-4! And Lego Batman! Waiting for my traffic for the month to reset so I can download Lego Clone wars! And I can't stand Zelda. :P

    But indeed, OP seems to have written from a pretty shallow consumerist view. The "things you can do with it" don't change after a few days. Either he's easily impressed by simple concepts and the novelty wears off, or hyped it too much in his own mind. Take a gentle, cynical (good cynic, not bad cynic!) approach to everything and you'll never be disappointed!
    Quote Originally Posted by DSRilk
    The true measure of a person is how they act when they know they won't get caught.

  8. #8
    High Overlord
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    4D Space, California
    Posts
    156
    ... they will release the 3dsI!!!!! That will have net, and that will be the one to get.

    On top of that, there is 3ds only games, making the 3ds its own new console.
    No Signature. Seriously. None.

  9. #9
    Pit Lord alms1407's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    2,341
    In my opinion I don't think it's worth it, but then again I'm not a massive fan on the whole 3D thing.

    I think if you wait a while (few months) then you will most probably see better games being released for it and a drop in price.
    But by this time, like previously mentioned, they will most probably announce an upgraded version of the console lol

  10. #10
    in regards to battery life......... Why even unplug it? the only logical time I could see anyone unplug the device is on public transport and at least here is Australia you can pretty much kiss that good bye on the train as anything over $100 in value is high theft target.

    Crappy release games? Rayman and nintendogz are both awesome game... YES NINTENDOGZ.... Try it some time it's actually quite fun and being living where I am now I cant have pets it's the closest I can get to the real thing.

    If you waste the money just because it's 3D you're a moron imo. If you are buying a console you buy it because you want to play the games on it not because of the graphics on it or the cheap gimmick attached to it. Personally I want Zelda: OoT which we can expect a month or 2 after release...

    If you are going to bad mouth a company, don't bad mouth them because you cant do some research.. I knew about 2 weeks after DS lites were out that Nintendo were developing an improvement to it already... It never really phased me because I knew it would just be a new gimmick machine with the same games. Just like any new 3DS will be... Moral of the story... If it runs off the same games then there's no point QQing.

    No internet.... Not that I would use it when I have a perfectly good computer but I'm sure ti's got wireless and it will just be an app download.

    ---------- Post added 2011-03-30 at 12:36 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by alms1407 View Post
    In my opinion I don't think it's worth it, but then again I'm not a massive fan on the whole 3D thing.

    I think if you wait a while (few months) then you will most probably see better games being released for it and a drop in price.
    But by this time, like previously mentioned, they will most probably announce an upgraded version of the console lol
    You can play games in 2D also... 3D is just a feature they are basing their campaign off.

  11. #11
    If you don't have a DS: Go get it! There are a lots of good titles you can play in your 3DS (retro-compatibility).
    If you do have a DS: Wait a year or so to get the best titles..

    I don't give a **** for the 3D mode.
    あれ?

    3DS FC: 1676-3739-0569

  12. #12
    The system has some ups and some downs...the biggest down is that the nintendo releases (paper mario, animal crossing, LoZ, Kid Icarus, even Mario Kart) got pushed back to August...Japan did just get smashed with a huge Tsunami you know.

    Also, no one has mentioned Ghost Recon. It is awesome! A tactical based Ghost Recon title
    SSFIV is a must for fighting fans.

    For the battery life - it is not a very portable portable...this I will admit.
    Nyko is making a replacement battery for $50 that is a hell of a lot better i hear though.

    And the only "new versions" they will release will be upgraded versions later next year. They re released the DS system as the DSI (which was a large upgrade) and that was not so much re released as made larger for the DSI XL. Each incarnation has had features fans asked for.

  13. #13
    The Patient brightmonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Southampton,UK
    Posts
    242
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynix View Post
    If you waste the money just because it's 3D you're a moron imo. If you are buying a console you buy it because you want to play the games on it not because of the graphics on it or the cheap gimmick attached to it. Personally I want Zelda: OoT which we can expect a month or 2 after release...
    done this exact same thing with my PS3 and regretted it
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    Go put some pants on.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by moaradin View Post
    I'm not going to buy a 3DS period. It sounds just like another version of the DS. I'll wait until their next real console comes out, and I hope its not Wii 2 crap.
    So, you'll buy a more powerful console but not a more powerful handheld?

  15. #15
    Dreadlord roboscorcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    999
    I'm not getting a 3DS because I don't need portable gaming...I spend enough times in front of screens hehe.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Glwys View Post
    no LoZ: OoT

    I may be mistaken but Ocarina of time is and will only be for N64??

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Sockie View Post
    I may be mistaken but Ocarina of time is and will only be for N64??
    You are indeed mistaken: http://www.gamespot.com/3ds/action/t...pten%3Ball%3B9

    And if you're on the fence about getting one, just wait it out. As mentioned, there will likely be another version released in the not so distant future. Also, the game line-up will be a lot more solid once some other games come out (MGS3, Kid Icarus, Star Fox 64 port, Kingdom Hearts game of some sort...etc).
    Last edited by Teaba; 2011-03-30 at 01:10 AM.

  18. #18
    The Lightbringer Kickbuttmario's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Mushroom Kingdom
    Posts
    3,119
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucknazty View Post
    I heard if yoy play with it on low-med 3d untill you get used to it, it pretty much rocks. Nothing has "amazing" games the first (?) week of its launch. Nothing to please everyone that is.

    Seems to me all your points are from hearsay or bad reviews.

    Crappy Battery life- this one could be true.
    Crappy Intro games- in your opinon
    Zelda, Mario, etc - mabye some people like lego starwars and hate the games u listed.
    Nintendo - valid.
    Effects- what would make it suck after a few days if you loved it at first? This dosent make sence. As in the novelty is wearing off on it?

    If you really are jonsing on the 3d bandwagon..get it.
    If not wait. No one here can convince you to get it if you arnt open to it in the first place.
    How am I a part of the bandwagon? I looked at reviews and wanted their opinions on the 3ds since they got first-hand experience with it and personally for me,

    - I only cared for the shitty battery life (Which is true, I travel a lot and would like to relax at school)
    - No introduction games that interest me such as zelda (I don't give a shit for rayman since I am only interested in zelda),
    - The thing about the effects are that the same thing happened for me (not just myself but friends as well) with the wii, seems amazing at first just moving the wii controller but can become extremely trivial to some. Which proves why many people claim that the wii is all about the gameplay and not graphics.

    As soon as I found out that Zelda wasn't coming out with the 3ds, I was a bit disappointed. As for your point on reviews, well why do you think people go to them? So that idiots like myself can make sure we are making a fine decision and not just buying this shit because of a stupid impulse.

    The rest of the points are from the reviewers and seem very legit since it costs rather a lot, and the wii got a lot of stuff done at release, if I remember correctly.
    Last edited by Kickbuttmario; 2011-03-30 at 01:20 AM.
    I am KickButtMario. I kick butt because I am Mario. The coolest, longest, living, protagonist out there in the video game industry.

    Currently playing WoW: BigFattMario TallKidLuigi PeachIsCute

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickbuttmario View Post
    As soon as I found out that Zelda wasn't coming out with the 3ds, I was a bit disappointed.
    Hm, I dunno about that.

    Although Skyward Sword probably isn't coming to the 3DS, we do have the OoT port...and I think it's likely that there will be some sort of successor to the DS Zelda games. If those aren't your cup of tea, there are still plenty of great titles coming to the 3DS...granted a lot of them are ports right now(though they're not straight ports...OoT for example has some beautiful new textures).

    There's also a paper mario game in the works I believe, though I'm pretty sure this is a nintendo 64 port.

    Right now though, the only game I'm interested in is SSF4, so I'm waiting it out.

  20. #20
    The Lightbringer Kickbuttmario's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Mushroom Kingdom
    Posts
    3,119
    Quote Originally Posted by Teaba View Post
    Hm, I dunno about that.

    Although Skyward Sword probably isn't coming to the 3DS, we do have the OoT port...and I think it's likely that there will be some sort of successor to the DS Zelda games. If those aren't your cup of tea, there are still plenty of great titles coming to the 3DS...granted a lot of them are ports right now(though they're not straight ports...OoT for example has some beautiful new textures).

    There's also a paper mario game in the works I believe, though I'm pretty sure this is a nintendo 64 port.

    Right now though, the only game I'm interested in is SSF4, so I'm waiting it out.
    I know Ocarina of time is coming out for the 3ds, same for skyward sword and paper mario. I am pissed off though that like the wii and n64, it didn't get an introduction nintendo game that you know would good. The gamecube didn't have much introduction games but did have Luigi's Mansion, which I had a ton of fun with as well.
    I am KickButtMario. I kick butt because I am Mario. The coolest, longest, living, protagonist out there in the video game industry.

    Currently playing WoW: BigFattMario TallKidLuigi PeachIsCute

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •