Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Age of conan really that bad?

as the title says, is age of conan really that bad as players say?

ive heard from some others that they improved the game dramatically and the graphic seems awesome comparing to any other MMo.

anyone who still plays it?

the reason is mostly i need something new, and Rift is just not the game i want to try again.

10+ Year Old Account
    AoC...I haven't played it in a while now, so I don't know about the improvements. But to me...any time you introduce a WoW killer, it should provide some new, non-WoW experience. AoC had better graphics and more mature content, but it still felt like WoW.

Now, that wasn't the case in the intro zone. Great phasing, interesting quests, and voice acting for everything! Something WoW really lacked at the time. However, then you made it into the "real" world, and it's almost as if the devs abandoned you, completely switched out the game while you weren't looking. The world was huge but you were mostly without direction, and there was all of a sudden no voice acting. It was jarring.

Finally, world PvP was incredibly unbalanced. It generally devolved into everyone joining one massive guild, and everyone else vacillating between trying to take them down and wishing they could be them. Maybe that wasn't the case on ALL servers, but it's the experience I noted.

If you play WoW, my recommendation is to play WoW. Play a free-to-play MMO if you want a break, because your investment is minimal. Or, finally, play something totally different, like DCUO, CoH, or the upcoming SW:TOR. But any WoW-like fantasy game is going to strike you as WoW. There's a reason Blizz has 12 million subscribers.
    Buggins - 85 Fury/Protection Warrior [Caelestis Victor]
    Ellustria - 82 Feral/Restoration Druid [Apocalypse]
    Lanalis - 83 Retribution/Protection Paladin [Caelestis Templares]
    Erastmas - 82 Destruction Warlock [Apocalypse]

The biggest issue when the game first came out was lack of content once you hit higher levels. If they fixed that, which I imagine they did, it wouldn't be terrible.

It wasn't 'bad', it just wasn't great either.

Biggest problem with Aoc when it came out was two fold. First after about level 25 or so, the content just died. You had this awesome starting zone full of neat quests and story and when you left it just felt plain.

The other was the combat system of being able to attack from a direction was lackluster at best and a pain in the ass later on when it had 4 or 5 different buttons to press to get a special to fire off.

They fixed a lot of those issues, but when I went back about 8 months ago it still felt stale.

Quote Originally Posted by psychedelica View Post
    as the title says, is age of conan really that bad as players say?

ive heard from some others that they improved the game dramatically and the graphic seems awesome comparing to any other MMo.

anyone who still plays it?

the reason is mostly i need something new, and Rift is just not the game i want to try again.
    It's not bad, but if you've played it before you're probably not going to get hooked if you are trying to start playing it again by levelling a new character.
    I reactivated to play the expansion and stuff and the quality of the content was pretty decent, but when I tried to start a new character it just turned me off because been there done that

It's sort of like Vanguard, it had a rough launch so people are still just saying it's bad based on that, I'd bet most of the people that say Vanguard is terrible haven't played since beta or at least in a very long time.

If you haven't played AoC before I'd say go for it, or at least go for the trial and then see after that if you're completely turned off or not.

Nah, AoC is not a bad game. It's just that it's not a great game either.
    "Loss of blood... My only weakness!"
    ~ Warlord Khan, Magicka

Anyway, if you don't already see where I'm going with this, allow me to spell it out: the only meaningful MMORPG "endgame" -- i.e., something novel to do after the progression process is over -- is that of the sandbox.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not bad if you enjoy PvE. From level 1-80 there's PLENTY to be had. There's an endless 1-20 trial, so check it out. Not to mention the game has some AMAZING visuals. They also just updated how things are rendered so people with lower end PCs should get better performance now.
    "I can't take HIS money... I can't print MY OWN money... I have to work for money, why don't I just lay down and die?" - Homer Simpson

Steam: Zolgar
    360: Thumbtack Jayk

nice but a bit to grindy. and 6 people grps are sad
    Kenny gona die tonight!!!

I still play it from time to time, I am expecting it to go F2P tho within the year. Subs have dropped off a bit. I enjoy it tho, sure some parts are wow like and whatnot, but oh well. As stated 1-20ish are freaking awesome and some of the best in any MMO. They have added some endgame. I just have not done much, really no time for that kind of playing anymore. I would try out the trial. It will give you a pretty decent feel for the game. And if your pc can handle it, push the graphical limit if you can. Just a a beautiful looking game.
    Orks, Space Marines, Rift (<---- Links for pics BTW)

Deleted
    I played it at launch, loved the 1 - 20 area, but as others mentions out in the real world there weren't alot of content and plenty of buggs. I also love my HoX (herald of Xoti) kinda like a cross between a Arms warrior and a fire Mage that also turned into a demon. Haven't tried it since so not sure what it's like now. If it was F2P I'd have a go again.

really that bad?
    <<< Yes! >>>

if you enjoy pve as ppl said its kinda fun but the pvp side is terrible at least from the time i played level 50 minus players could beat level 72

10+ Year Old Account
    AoC is actually very good...Until you hit the new expansion. It's a horrid grind-fest. Plus the population and major guilds have all but died off. Sadly, it's circling the drain because Funcom is too busy working on their new MMO 'The Secret World'. They just implemented the Dream Engine in AoC to test it, which is the same engine they're using in TSW, and broke a ton of stuff. Bugs are running rampant.

AoC is now an alpha test of TSW. But before all of this, it was a fantastic game. One of the best MMOs I've ever played.

AoC was great if you were playing with the right people. Then it kinda sucked.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    I tired the trial and the game doesn't feel that bad its just a bit boring after a while.

It was a decent game just released too soon. It didn't have enough players, was extremely buggy and not enough content. They should have held off the release for about another year and worked to hype the game. I notice a lot of games fail to do this, hype it enough when it's in beta and easy to try out. Instead they release it and no one really cares to try it because of the price tag.

Aoc was good , grahic are amazing , dramatically amazing but after awhile you get bored the only good side of that game is the graphic once you seen it , it become boring.

As many people said , Not a bad game but not great either.

The difficult part in an argument is not to defend one’s opinion, but rather to know it.
    - Andre Maurois 1957.

Quote Originally Posted by Roguer View Post
    AoC...I haven't played it in a while now, so I don't know about the improvements. But to me...any time you introduce a WoW killer, it should provide some new, non-WoW experience. AoC had better graphics and more mature content, but it still felt like WoW.

Now, that wasn't the case in the intro zone. Great phasing, interesting quests, and voice acting for everything! Something WoW really lacked at the time. However, then you made it into the "real" world, and it's almost as if the devs abandoned you, completely switched out the game while you weren't looking. The world was huge but you were mostly without direction, and there was all of a sudden no voice acting. It was jarring.
    THIS dear god, THIS a billion times.

I was so disappointed when the voiceacting stopped, and I quit somewhere around lvl 22-25.
    I grew so tired of the game when they put all they had into the starting zone.

I agree with some of the above sentiments. I've played the game when it was just launched and tried it again a while ago when I got a mail about some free playtime.

Initially, the game is really good, you're dropped off as a shipwrecked slave on the island of Tortage that's ruled by a dictator. In and around the city on that small island is where most of the action happens. You can switch between daytime (multiplayer, conventional quests) and night-time (phased/instanced, heavy story focus) to further your character's development and the story.
    While it's heavily instanced, it does work wonderfully well. I'd say one of the best zones I've encountered in an MMORPG.

Unfortunately, after you've managed to free Tortage you take the boat to the main world of the game. This is where the quality steeply drops off. Suddenly the world is mostly empty, NPCs no longer have voice-acting and most of the story elements are gone. For me, the game really died between the levels 20 and 25, so I can't comment on endgame.

When Funcom offered me some free gametime, I gave the game another go. Luckily I'd upgraded my computer since so it ran fluently now as opposed to the single-digit FPS I'd gotten the first time. Unfortunately many of the issues that I had with the game were still missing, the level 20+ zone still missed much of its flow. By now the community had massively decreased as well so things felt rather deserted compared to the way they were on launch.

I think that with more time and money, Funcom could have released a worthwhile MMORPG by extending the quality of the starter zone to the entire game. Unfortunately they didn't and I don't think they ever managed to turn it around since then.
    Last edited by Lackluster; 2011-03-30 at 05:46 PM.

I liked having a female character running around with her boobies out, but other than that? It was meh.. Hate to say it, but even the boobies got old.
    There were around 7,000 Greeks in total at the Battle of Thermopylae.
    Not just the Spartans and a few inept imbeciles to play clean up.
    Friends don't let friends listen to Zach Snyder/