Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

DPS Scaling, Getting out of hand?

With DPS in Cata scaling from a poor player in blues doing Sub 6K,
    to a heroic raid geared player being able to sustain 25K +

Do you think DPS is getting out of hand, which makes tuning encounters hard to do?

Deleted
    The two numbers you have quoted must be from extremely different skill levels, the gear will not do that much. I don't see there beeing a bigger difference than in wrath tbh, where skilled raid geared players were outpacing unskilled non geared players by magnitudes as well.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    No; encounters are tuned according to who should be doing them. 3 poor players in blues doing sub-6k should be fine in a normal dungeon, and probably just about squeeze through a heroic. Heroic raid encounters demand greater numbers, and no doubt the next tier will be designed so that the DPS requirement is appropriate to what the right level of player is presently doing (say around 18k sustained for normals).

Quote Originally Posted by Tyko View Post
    The two numbers you have quoted must be from extremely different skill levels, the gear will not do that much. I don't see there beeing a bigger difference than in wrath tbh, where skilled raid geared players were outpacing unskilled non geared players by magnitudes as well.
    This guy is very correct, in Wotlk i remember seeing people doing 2k Dps in heroics as opposed to easily 15K+ in ICC.
    Bow down before our new furry overlords!

Deleted
    Sub 6k? Is that auto attacking? Bad players will always be bad. At fresh 85 I was pushing 10-15k depending on the situation. Are you really surprised that gear 26 iLevels higher and raid buffs would be able to push it above 25k?

Deleted
    definitely, we've gone from players doing 400dps(vanilla) to 2000dps(TBC) to 10k(WoTLK) to 25,000(Cata).

Tbht his is most likely due to the health pool scaling to reduce burst in pvp =/.
    Id personally prefer if it were to go back down to players having sub-10k hp, but having the scaling reduced to match, otherwise with the next expansion we'll be seeing people with 500k hp and pulling 50k dps.
    It's going to make all the content below the current expansion obsolete and a complete joke.

6k on 85 is stupidly low no matter what kind of gear you sport.
    25k on 85 raids is stupidly high no matter what kind of gear you sport (Assuming no damage modification mechanics in the fight).

Assuming equal skill level it's most likely between 10 and 19.

Quote Originally Posted by Adt View Post
    definitely, we've gone from players doing 400dps(vanilla) to 2000dps(TBC) to 10k(WoTLK) to 25,000(Cata).

Tbht his is most likely due to the health pool scaling to reduce burst in pvp =/.
    Id personally prefer if it were to go back down to players having sub-10k hp, but having the scaling reduced to match, otherwise with the next expansion we'll be seeing people with 500k hp and pulling 50k dps.
    It's going to make all the content below the current expansion obsolete and a complete joke.
    Note that this is impossible as you'd have to scale down EVERYTHING in the game, which in turn would make starting mobs hit for 0.2, or even less. The alternative would be to not see a damage / health pool increase for the first 40 levels, which again wouldn't work as then you could easily go farm higher level content when leveling.

Quote Originally Posted by Karakkonor View Post
    Sub 6k? Is that auto attacking? Bad players will always be bad. At fresh 85 I was pushing 10-15k depending on the situation. Are you really surprised that gear 26 iLevels higher and raid buffs would be able to push it above 25k?
    I've seen fresh players with ok gear doing far less then 6K, sadly

The scaling at the moment still seems crazy,
    In TBC I managed to get ok geared for a casual player - Kara/ZA/MGT gear and badge gear with a couple of pieces from Gruuls and maggy if I was lucky enough.

Still as a raid or a heroic group we were never able to by-pass a significant amount of mechanics untill much later on when the final massive nerfs came through.

Deleted
    Depends on what you mean by "blues". If you do Sub 6K with full 346 blues then.. well.. learn to play?
    If you are refferring to full 346 "blues" then you should be able to do 15-20K..

Quote Originally Posted by teiksma View Post
    Depends on what you mean by "blues". If you do Sub 6K with full 346 blues then.. well.. learn to play?
    If you are refferring to full 346 "blues" then you should be able to do 15-20K..
    Try to remember this isn't a thread about how bad a player is if there doing dps sub whatever, its about the scaling.

6K starting and upto and above 20K for top players and remember this is the first tier. once we start getting to the top tiers the scaling is going to be so crazy.

If Blizz is tuning an encounter for heroic raid level, surely things like lagg are going to mess your dps up so much with the current scaling that its going to be crazy for people with an average connection. just an example

15+ Year Old Account
    Not sure you understand what scaling means. 6k dps has nothing to do with scaling, and everything to do with "doing it wrong".
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../enders/simple
    Quote Originally Posted by Luuth View Post
    I think the easiest way to make people happy would be to nerf the target dummy.

Deleted
    My grandma could do more than 6k freshly dinged and she's dead. Honestly, anything less than 10k is "lol I sometimes click on abilities that come off cooldown", and that goes for any class.

Quote Originally Posted by Enders View Post
    Not sure you understand what scaling means. 6k dps has nothing to do with scaling, and everything to do with "doing it wrong".
    This.

If I do ONE white attack during the whole fight and pull ~2k dps, while my friend in better gear is doing 20k+, ISN'T a scaling issue, it's a L2P issue.

Those 6k don't seem that horribly exaggerated considering that it isn't exactly hard to find logs of people pulling only 11k in a raid on worldoflogs.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Greymalkin View Post
    My grandma could do more than 6k freshly dinged and she's dead. Honestly, anything less than 10k is "lol I sometimes click on abilities that come off cooldown", and that goes for any class.
    Not true whatsoever. I remember just dinging on release day, decided to go to DM HC because it was close to sw (and obviously we didnt have the gear req yet for random0 and nobody (except maybe the dk on some bosses) managed 10k. (moonkin mage dk).

Deleted
    Scaling is impressive nontheless, I have to say he may have a point.

However it's too early to tell and increasing the boss HP's by an even ammount in the coming raiding content will make the issue very... gimmicky, at best.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by whoranzone View Post
    Those 6k don't seem that horribly exaggerated considering that it isn't exactly hard to find logs of people pulling only 11k in a raid on worldoflogs.
    6k is a bit low maybe, but I certainly recall 7-8k on release day ding from most people. 10k+ was either a dk, hunter or warlock.

Simcraft says my 343 ilvl rogue should be doing 19500 dps in a raid setting. 372 BiS geared rogue sims about 27500 dps. I'd say 8k dps gain with 30 ilvls is quite normal. If a 85 player decked in blues is doing 6k dps, the issue is with that player, not scaling.

Eh yea to an extent but harder content demands gradual dps increase across the aboard but at some point indeed it has to stop might as well see 100k dps (clearly an exaggeration) at some point

Deleted
    The player that does sub 6k dps in shit gear, will never reach more then 20k in end-raid gear. Just. not.