Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Dragon Age II unfinished?

After playing through Dragon Age II a few times, I noticed some bugs or glitches that really annoyed me, as they seemed to be bugs that really should have been fixed during development. For example, there are missing textures for the environment when I load my game sometimes, and certain characters at the last fight are also missing textures on most playthroughs. Also the cutscenes bug out a lot where the characters involved flicker when they move away or towards the vantage point, and fires that are supposed to be on the ground or on a torch refuse to stay put and move around when the camera moves. I was wondering if anyone else was having these issues, or was it just my copy? Because I googled these glitches and nothing came up

15+ Year Old Account
    It's a computer game; it's meant to have been shipped unfinished.
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

Are you sure it's not video settings, drivers or a video card issue? Most of the stuff you describe sounds like corrupt textures and/or video memory corruption and could be an indication of a dying card. I haven't heard anyone else talking about similar issues but that doesn't mean they not forthcoming.

I remember when Fallout Tactics came out and lots of people were complaining about missing character textures...a corrupt texture pack on the 3 disc was the cause for many people when others were just fine.
    Last edited by RaskDojo; 2011-03-30 at 08:46 PM. Reason: Just thought of something

10+ Year Old Account
    I suppose I should have mentioned that I'm playing on the xbox

While I wouldn't say yes or no to it being unfinished based on graphical glitches and what not, the repeated environments as well as some latter events only seem to give you an illusion of having a choice gives me a feeling that the game was partly unfinished. That is, they'd wanted to do more, give more choices in the storyline, etc. but simply ran out of time to develop all that. Something about the game just gives me the feeling it had a lot of cut content.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cluck View Post
    While I wouldn't say yes or no to it being unfinished based on graphical glitches and what not, the repeated environments as well as some latter events only seem to give you an illusion of having a choice gives me a feeling that the game was partly unfinished. That is, they'd wanted to do more, give more choices in the storyline, etc. but simply ran out of time to develop all that. Something about the game just gives me the feeling it had a lot of cut content.
    I agree about the cut content, but the graphical bugs you'd think they'd pick up, don't they test these games? Also, Wonderboy's post pretty much does sum it up

Deleted
    I have played it through three times and haven't had any graphical errors like that.

Content-wise? yeah, unfinished. Still like it though, but like could have been love had they plowed down another year into it.

Deleted
    I plowed through it on hard, on my mage and on my warrior, did all sidequests on both, deleted the game....Surprisingly enough, I did not feel the urge to delete origins after I played through it twice.(please dont start with the 'OLOLUEXPECTORIGINS2?!?! OLOLOL bs.) :/
    All of the plot twists and turns were easy to read and most of the dialogue/story was fucking terribly written, most characters were dull, outside few select companions that is. (Varric, Anders and Fenris..I liked him the most :/)
    Unfortunately most of the game was fucking -dull- FILLER combat that got repetitive after the first fucking act, the only fights I liked were the ones with the Rock Wraith and the High Dragon...after I turned the combat only for those two fights to the Nightmare mode.
    And no, I wont bother with playing through the entire game in nightmare mode. Hated the combat enough as it is. A fucking boring chore.
    Also the fact that the game was rushed=Whopping err...4 dungeons/caves/warehouses/whatever in the entire game....superfun.
    If I'd be asked to give the game a 'school grade' I'd give it a 6.25/10, because the positives are not enough to cancel out BIG negatives.

You're not alone...And if they continue, I suggest you head to that page and ask for assistance, way better than in MMO-C forums. :P
    http://social.bioware.com/forum/Drag...6712323-1.html
    Last edited by mmoc917598aff9; 2011-03-30 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Added Xbox part

Unfinished... Hmmm thats a hard question.

If your Playing nightmare like i am, then yes it is unfinished. I can tell you Right now It wasn't beta tested at all, some fights on nightmare are so impossibly hard, or if there are two Rogue Mini Bosses in a fight you lose gg on nightmare, cause they one shot everyone in your group.

I haven't noticed missing textures on the ps3.

I wouldn't say DA 2 sucks, i liked the characters and the Story, Albeit some of it predictable (what honestly isn't now adays though.) There were some good moments to the game. There were some bad, like rehashing dungeons constantly... i mean constantly. Or the same Busty hourglass figure for every women. It's uhhh kinda irritating. Even the elves have DD's.

My rating: Worth 60 Bucks, Pirate the DLC.

8/10
    I'm glad to have multiple personalities, if i didn't i would be talking to myself, and that's just insane.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wonderboy View Post
    Hmm stays to its name zero-punctuation. Made my day

Had my best time in this game during Varric's mission where he single-handedly killed the whole Bertrand's house
    And yeah liked that sexy Pprat Isabela <3

Played it on normal first as warrior was surprisingly easy, second time went with ranged rogue on NM and kinda stopped playing at lvl 16 when my assassinate started to crit over 50k
    Last edited by Samyaaza; 2011-03-30 at 10:09 PM.

"Dude, why are you dead again?" "Because I'm raid-leading, doh..."
    Mess with the best, die like the rest...
    >>>Goes by name Samyaza<<<

10+ Year Old Account
    I didn't experience any problems and I've played through the game multiple times. It could be a video card issue or something.

10+ Year Old Account
    Have you fully patched it? Nearly all games now have bugs on release, thats why there are patches. The disc version of the game is 75% bug free at best. They use the manufacturing/packaging/shipping time to fix most of those bugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Borigrad View Post

If your Playing nightmare like i am, then yes it is unfinished. I can tell you Right now It wasn't beta tested at all, some fights on nightmare are so impossibly hard, or if there are two Rogue Mini Bosses in a fight you lose gg on nightmare, cause they one shot everyone in your group.

I wouldn't say DA 2 sucks, i liked the characters and the Story, Albeit some of it predictable (what honestly isn't now adays though.) There were some good moments to the game. There were some bad, like rehashing dungeons constantly... i mean constantly. Or the same Busty hourglass figure for every women. It's uhhh kinda irritating. Even the elves have DD's.

8/10
    QFT (filler)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jodah View Post
    Have you fully patched it? Nearly all games now have bugs on release, thats why there are patches. The disc version of the game is 75% bug free at best. They use the manufacturing/packaging/shipping time to fix most of those bugs.
    They haven't released any patches, at least the last time I checked

8/10

Just so I am clear, some fans complained that DA-Orgins was too easy even on Nightmare mode. They boasted about how they will able to do quests solo and provided screen shots to prove it. Now it's being said Nightmare mode is too hard? isn't that why they call it "Nightmare" mode. It's not impossible, but certaintly not easy. Their are three choices, "Casual", "Normal" and "Nightmare", if Nightmare were made so it could be easily beaten without of controlling each PC, pausing the game making every spell and hit you choose worth it.

Then it wouldn't be nightmare.

edited: to the poster above me

Bioware actually released two seperate patches. One was for PC users that use directx11. It fixed up some errors that casued the visual gameplay to change during the game. It was released the day the game released

And the second patch is here

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/to.../index/6656891
    Last edited by The Jackal; 2011-03-30 at 10:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Jackal View Post
    Just so I am clear, some fans complained that DA-Orgins was too easy even on Nightmare mode. They boasted about how they will able to do quests solo and provided screen shots to prove it. Now it's being said Nightmare mode is too hard? isn't that why they call it "Nightmare" mode. It's not impossible, but certaintly not easy. Their are three choices, "Casual", "Normal" and "Nightmare", if Nightmare were made so it could be easily beaten without of controlling each PC, pausing the game making every spell and hit you choose worth it.

Then it wouldn't be nightmare.
    I agree DA:O was to easy thats why i don't understand why people complain DA 2 is to easy compared. I soloed everything as an arcane warrior in Origins.

Now, there is hard and then there is impossible. Impossible is Rogue Elites, one shotting everything in your party with backstab every 10 seconds, and they reset aggro because they use stealth before they use backstab.

Nightmare is hard at some points, Impossible at others. Like Stunlock, there is stunlock on Nightmare and if your healer gets hit with 1 arrow he's perma stunned. That's impossible.

Nightmare is hard, but it's also be imbalanced at some places, The Problem is, the fights aren't hard because enemies get new abilities or are smarter. It's hard because you'll go through 1 wave, then have to fight another wave and another. All against enemies that do ridiculous damage, Have CC immunity and can one shot everything but your tank. It's Imbalanced in some parts, hard in others.

---------- Post added 2011-03-30 at 11:16 PM ----------

Oh also, since you get "ambushed" every 3 minutes (like yahtzee said) you start to run out of potions and injury kits. Infact i Must of spent 100 Gold alone in act 1 on Elfroot potions, So far 80 Gold on Elfroot potions in act 2.

Thats not even counting Runes, Poisons/Bombs and Gear. Infact It's almost Impossible to play act 1 on pure nightmare and still afford the deep roads expedition. I had to actually use a glitch in the Junk sell, to get 20 gold to afford the deep roads quest.
    Last edited by Borigrad; 2011-03-30 at 11:18 PM.
    I'm glad to have multiple personalities, if i didn't i would be talking to myself, and that's just insane.

I play Dragon Age 2 since 2 weeks on nightmare casually(never lowered the difficulty).Currently I am at half of act 3 and I dont think that its very hard because I still dont know what the hell are cross class combos(I still dont have the use a cross class combo achievement) and how they work but looks like I dont need them anyway(thats why I didnt bother googling it and imo cross class combo is a horrible idea in a single player game anyway).Oh and I use a warrior with 2 handed weapon for tanking because Aveline is fugly(is there a mod which makes her giant jaw smaller?).

Party:Fenris:tank,Merril as dps mage(she is kinda useless but I like her lol),Anders:healz,Main:melee rogue(twin fangs auto crits for 4000+4000 every time so I deal more than double the damage of the entire party combined so if I die its usually game over if Anders cant resurrect me fast).

Assassins are not a problem for me,here is what you need to do: press ctrl+a and attack him with all party members.Click on Anders face and click on haste.Click on Merrils face and use Petrify.The assassin will die before Petrify ends.If you get 2 assassins it is not a lot more complicated(after clicking Anders face for Haste stay for 1 more second,activate vengeance and Petrify the second assassin too,wait for Merrils Petrify CD and repeat the whole thing).

Against mages use dispell magic(it is basically area effect counterspell).

Friendly fire is not a problem because all my characters have just single target dps spells/abilities.I hated the tactics menu in DAO so I solved the problem easily lol.

The game had 4 hard(hard=you will probably need a few reloads until you get it right) fights so far:

1.(the hardest) Captain Querth in chapter 1.
    2.Ancient Rock Wraith chapter 1.
    3.Arishok duel chapter 2.
    4.High Dragon chapter 3.

Nightmare in Dragon Age:Origins was far to easy(after you got ok equipment(at ike 1/3 of the game) it was almost impossible to lose a battle(seriously).

edit:dont be afraid of using potions(health,mana,stamina) because the game will give them back the next time you loot(lame if you ask me but if its free I wont say no)
    Last edited by exstarcraftfan; 2011-03-31 at 12:03 AM.

Deleted
    Don't even need a healer for nightmare, insta-focus elite rogues+blood mages/qunari mages down (petrify + unleash x-class combos on them). Pull small groups out of packs by making your guys hang back and run JUST into view then back.

Rock Wraith wasn't hard as such... just a PAIN for positioning.
    Yeah the hardest thing in the game is "trash" groups with a blood/qunari mage or a few elite rogues, if you can focus them down though it's not too bad. (although last boss somehow 1-shot aveline... was all O.o)

Aveline - Bodyguard on fenris, 2 tanks. Rally + Turn the Blade/Elemental Def for surviveability.
    Fenris - No aoe abilities except spirit pulse, which you have to be fucking careful with. Rally + Might for imbaburst.
    Varric - Pewpewkachoo knockback shot is sex.
    Force/Spirit healer (for knockback resist, more cc & mana/hp regen bonus, never actually got spirit healer healing things) me. Primal specced for no FF aoe, stonefist, rock armor etc. Heroic Aura, Heal (for a quick heal if really needed), Party Arcane Shield. And Winter's Grasp/Cone of Cold are amazing

Yeah you go through alot of potions, but the less you have it seems the game makes them more likely to drop. Also remember revive grenades
    And don't cheap-out on constitution, it's your friend.
    Last edited by mmoca4abc3a051; 2011-03-30 at 11:39 PM.

Nightmare is hard at some points, Impossible at others. Like Stunlock, there is stunlock on Nightmare and if your healer gets hit with 1 arrow he's perma stunned. That's impossible.
    That is knockback(or knockdown?) not stun and you can buy a ring for 81g in chapter 2(at the golem in the new cave in sundermount,chapter 2) which makes you immune to knockback(or knockdown?).The ring has strength requirement but you can add a few points into ST its not a big problem because its worth it(using it on my rogue).Before the ring I watched my character flying left and right on the screen in half the game and it never ends(cant even use evade because I get the next knockback before I can use something).The golem will update its wares in chapter 3 so you can buy it just in chapter 2.

edit:somewhere I got gloves which makes my rogue immune to stuns too but I dont remember where(somewhere in chapter 2).Requires agi and cunning but stun immunity is not noticable because the main problem is the knockdown(or knockback?).
    Last edited by exstarcraftfan; 2011-03-30 at 11:56 PM.