Thread: Way too low FPS

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Well, it just cleaned the fan(s) and you can't imagine how dirty they were.. Normally I'm cleaning my PC once a month, but after moving last summer I somehow...forgot it.

Anyway, the CPU temp dropped from 88~ to 63~ (55 in bios), and MB 45~ to 35~.

I know that the Q6600 are very overclockable (to 3,2~ with only airflow), should I try this? I have to say that I have no idea about overclocking. I know that I can change it in the bios, but there's so much of it (memory voltage, cpu vcore voltage, mch chipset voltage, dram frequency, fsb terminator voltage...etc) I really don't know what do to there. I googled some "HowTo overclock" but there isn't any which explains it like if the reader was a real noob.

Are the some software programs which help me with oc'ing? Or should'nt I do it at all?

I'm planning on getting some new parts (MB, cpu, cooler) but that won't be until summer, cuz I'm moving again (and I need more money)

This isn't meant to be offensive, but my thoughts on why they don't explain it super simply is because something might get "lost in translation"
    Overclocking, for the most part, isn't difficult. But the negative aspects can easily lead to bad things if you don't know what you're doing.

If you want to do it, research it, understand what the different voltages do, and what happens if you raise them. Not every CPU type is the same, nor are CPUs of the same model always the same. You have to find out what safe/unsafe voltages are for your line of CPU, what temps are safe, and things like that. Also good to learn how to properly apply thermal compound and properly seat the Heatsink/Water Block.

Again, wasn't meant to be offensive, I just don't think everything with computers can be super simplified, nor do I think it should.
    I understand many people just want the computer to "work", but I feel that anyone who wants to use it beyond browsing the web, should
    learn at least a little about how the stuff works. Most of the time it's not even difficult to understand, just so many look at computers and toss reason or common sense aside, and make it more difficult on themselves.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2

Quote Originally Posted by Zaak View Post
    Well, it just cleaned the fan(s) and you can't imagine how dirty they were.. Normally I'm cleaning my PC once a month, but after moving last summer I somehow...forgot it.

Anyway, the CPU temp dropped from 88~ to 63~ (55 in bios), and MB 45~ to 35~.

I know that the Q6600 are very overclockable (to 3,2~ with only airflow), should I try this? I have to say that I have no idea about overclocking. I know that I can change it in the bios, but there's so much of it (memory voltage, cpu vcore voltage, mch chipset voltage, dram frequency, fsb terminator voltage...etc) I really don't know what do to there. I googled some "HowTo overclock" but there isn't any which explains it like if the reader was a real noob.

Are the some software programs which help me with oc'ing? Or should'nt I do it at all?

I'm planning on getting some new parts (MB, cpu, cooler) but that won't be until summer, cuz I'm moving again (and I need more money)
    If you're still idling at 55-63 degrees C, you shouldn't be going anywhere near overclocking. The goal is to keep everything under 60C at full load (preferably lower, I don't like going above 50.)

When you get a new computer and a proper cooler/case, then worry about overclocking, as those temperatures are still about 20 degrees higher than I'd be comfortable with.
    Super casual.

Quote Originally Posted by ispano View Post
    This isn't meant to be offensive, but my thoughts on why they don't explain it super simply is because something might get "lost in translation"
    Overclocking, for the most part, isn't difficult. But the negative aspects can easily lead to bad things if you don't know what you're doing.

If you want to do it, research it, understand what the different voltages do, and what happens if you raise them. Not every CPU type is the same, nor are CPUs of the same model always the same. You have to find out what safe/unsafe voltages are for your line of CPU, what temps are safe, and things like that. Also good to learn how to properly apply thermal compound and properly seat the Heatsink/Water Block.

Again, wasn't meant to be offensive, I just don't think everything with computers can be super simplified, nor do I think it should.
    I understand many people just want the computer to "work", but I feel that anyone who wants to use it beyond browsing the web, should
    learn at least a little about how the stuff works. Most of the time it's not even difficult to understand, just so many look at computers and toss reason or common sense aside, and make it more difficult on themselves.
    np man, I already read that several times browsing through differents forums

I'll just wait & try to learn what each of those things mean and then maybe try to oc my new comp

Either way, the best thing to do is check out one of the many enthusiast oriented sites, check out their overclocking or cpu forums(for your cpu) and ask there. Make sure you post detailed specs, and if you seem like you're actually trying to learn it on your own, they'll usually be alot more willing to help, I know that's how I am.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2

Well, I just checked yesterday and my quadcore CPU isn't even compatible with the MB. It gives a "Intel CPU uCode loading error" on every startup. I thought a bios update would fix this, but it didn't. So even if I had lower temps, it wouldn't be recomendable to oc it.

I've had that error for quite some time now, but I didn't bother as my PC was running fine. But it looks like if the CPU was running with only 3 cores? I dont know:/
    Last edited by Zaak; 2011-04-02 at 09:45 AM.