Thread: geforce gtx 460

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

geforce gtx 460

looking to buy a new geforce gtx 460 video card but the problem is i need to find it in a low profile version as im using a slimline tower i was told by someone on the forums not to long ago they make it in a low profile but i cant find it when googleing it ro anything checked amazon tiger direct and amazonno luck anyone know where i can get one

Deleted
    Here is a GTX 460 cut down, it dosent say "low profile" but it is cut down.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/230557

10+ Year Old Account
    ty so much only 1 problem thats in the UK im pretty sure ii am in usa sorry for not mentioning it earlier maybe u could help im using a 5450 right now with 1gig ram an need something a bit more must be low profile any ideas whats the best bang for my buck

Deleted
    Found the same one on

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814127510

Hope this helps.

Also, if you mean low low profile, where the card is nearly half the size, this isn't the option. But you wont get performance out of them as there isn't enough room for buses etc...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evoss View Post
    Found the same one on

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814127510

Hope this helps.

Also, if you mean low low profile, where the card is nearly half the size, this isn't the option. But you wont get performance out of them as there isn't enough room for buses etc...
    The Bus is on the GPU itself, it's more the fact that the amount of Mosfets needed won't fit on the trimmed PCB along with the memory modules. A GF1xx GPU alone takes up 1/8 to 1/6th of the PCB already haha.
    Intel Core i7 5820K @ 4.2GHz | Asus X99 Deluxe Motherboard | 16GB Crucial DDR4 2133 | MSI GTX 980 4G GAMING | Corsair HX750 Gold | 500GB Samsung 840 EVO

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814162072

That's about as good as it gets..after that you may want to look at a different card.

10+ Year Old Account
    ok so forget low profile didnt no i had this option basically i found out that my board is whats called an atx board im going to get a bigger deell tower/case an basically eliminate the low profile issue an just go all out beefy card any suggestions on what to throw in there i mainly play SC2 and WOW on good settings with the ati 5450 i have now i wanna bump those to ultra with the exception of shadow quality so any suggestions please and ty my budget is around 300$

570 or 6970 for a ~300 budget with a single card.

SLI 460 will give you the most horsepower for $300 but it is probably overly complicated for you.

Try to find cards used or open box, best bang for your buck.

Monitor this page for best deals: They are updated nearly daily with new cards, but they sell out quickly.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...ED&PageSize=20

10+ Year Old Account
    i dont really understand sli what is it exactly im so interested to learnign about theese things though im like a junkie on theese forums learnign new things but i like it

Quote Originally Posted by uncivil82 View Post
    i dont really understand sli what is it exactly im so interested to learnign about theese things though im like a junkie on theese forums learnign new things but i like it
    Scalable Link Interface (SLI) is a brand name for a multi-GPU solution developed by NVIDIA for linking two or more video cards together to produce a single output. SLI is an application of parallel processing for computer graphics, meant to increase the processing power available for graphics.
    Former raider of Accession [US-Stormreaver]

10+ Year Old Account
    oh and another ? i currently get about 35 fps max in wow thats just questing and what not havent even tested it in a raiding enviroment with the 570 or 460 what type improvement am i likely to see like are we talking over my current 5450 1gb 60 fps consistently in raids and everywhere for that matter

460 and 570 will both play WoW on Ultra and will not go under 60 FPS in raids or quests..the 460 may need a mild overclock but that is simple.

What resolution are you playing on?

10+ Year Old Account
    Id suggest spending a tiny bit to get a larger tower anywhere from $90 to $180 Canadian.
    Something like Antec 900 which is fairly cheap, or a coolermaster HaF-X which is about $180.
    They would give you room for more then one card in the future.

Deleted
    You dont need a mild overclock on a GTX 460 to run WoW at 1080p..
    A mild overclock wont help at ALL. any GTX 460 is more than enough for WoW. GTS 450 is enough for WoW

10+ Year Old Account
    the thing is i rlly dont think im going to need more than 1 card as i only play wow and SC2 from wha i understand 2 gpu's would be over kill for just wow and SC2 i guess also @ blahblah im at 1920x1080

I use a GTX460 and I run WoW perfectly fine at 1080p.

If you can't then that means that you got something holding back your computer, most likely some software and/or your CPU just can't output fast enough.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by uncivil82 View Post
    the thing is i rlly dont think im going to need more than 1 card as i only play wow and SC2 from wha i understand 2 gpu's would be over kill for just wow and SC2 i guess also @ blahblah im at 1920x1080
    There is no overkill when it comes to gaming. But you will do fine with that card. I would also suggest getting a GTX 560Ti it think its pretty great bang for your buck. not that much more than the 460 and definitely not $300. I run bother wow and rift on ultra settings with multisampling x8 and Full antialiasing. it makes me fap constantly

Quote Originally Posted by Reguilea View Post
    You dont need a mild overclock on a GTX 460 to run WoW at 1080p..
    A mild overclock wont help at ALL. any GTX 460 is more than enough for WoW. GTS 450 is enough for WoW
    I will give you an example..during Chim Heroic, in a feud, where every single person is blowing every AoE heal and ground effect that they have, in a 25 man raid, your 460 will lag, and it will lag hard. If you don't believe me, try it out for yourself on Ultra @1080p.

10+ Year Old Account
    oh another thing i just thought about im going to need a new PSU once i get a new case card an all that as far as i know the PSU thats in the dell c521 slimline is a 280 watter now i've heard of horror stories about psu's going bad what are some of the top brands that u can trust as i dont want my machine to boot up try to game an melt on me lol an thx everyone so much here at the forums u guys are a big help

Welp..buying a Dell is a hard hole to climb out of..their motherboards won't overclock and in general they just don't put quality components in their machines..You will need a new PSU to run this system, but I am a bit concerned about trying to transplant this Dell into a new case, Dells are notorious for not playing well with that scenario.

On topic though, to run a single 460 or 560 you don't need much in the way of wattage, quality is more the issue. There are tons of misinformed people when it comes to how many watts you need to run X Y or Z, you can do your own research here:
    http://www.overclock.net/power-supplies/
    http://www.overclock.net/power-suppl...-supplies.html

Just do your research from the recommended power supply list and find the best deal from your vendor. For the system you are proposing (460/560), you won't need more than a quality 500/550 watt supply. If you are one of those people who likes to always plan for the future, you could go to 750 to be ready for future SLI or Crossfire.