Will this keep me in check for a good while?

How will this fair in upcoming MMO's?

cpu: phenom II X4 965 B.E.
    video card: Sapphire HD 6870
    HDD: 640GB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM
    PSU:900w Raidmax 80+ Gold
    RAM: 4GB A-Data Gaming Series
    MoBo:GigaByte GA-870A-UD3 AMD 870

if you need anymore specs just post and ill toss em up

Upcoming MMOs? Hang on, lemme pull out my crystal ball.

In general, that's a strong system that won't see major slowdowns in most games out there right now. Highly dependent on monitor resolution for the video card, but the processor is strong-ish. (inb4 "BUY AN i5-2500K OR SUCK FOREVER")

Are you building it new? If so, what's your budget?
    Super casual.

Quote Originally Posted by Nellah View Post
    "BUY AN i5-2500K OR SUCK FOREVER"
    Ya know, it's just so true though!

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    Quote Originally Posted by Matsujinn View Post
    Ya know, it's just so true though!
    Yeah even I fell for it.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-
    red panda red panda red panda!

Upcoming MMOs? Hang on, lemme pull out my crystal ball.

In general, that's a strong system that won't see major slowdowns in most games out there right now. Highly dependent on monitor resolution for the video card, but the processor is strong-ish. (inb4 "BUY AN i5-2500K OR SUCK FOREVER")

Are you building it new? If so, what's your budget?

just meant am i going to have to upgrade right when games hit this year, or would this be good enough for 2011. I dont have the money to build an i5 sandybridge system, and im an AMD guy

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    Quote Originally Posted by ezek View Post
    just meant am i going to have to upgrade right when games hit this year, or would this be good enough for 2011. I dont have the money to build an i5 sandybridge system, and im an AMD guy
    Honestly, and I hate to say it, you would be better off getting an i3 2100 system.
    red panda red panda red panda!

Pretty solid system! If you just play MMOs, you don't need that system, most MMOs are just really bad coded, like Age of Failiure.
    The CPU is really solid, if you wan't to play other games than MMOs you should consider buying a nvidia GTX570 or 560 Ti for PhysX/CUDA

Even an i3 2100 would give you 20-50% better fps in MMOs when you compare it against any AMD cpu currently on the market and it costs less than the AMD CPU which you are currently considering.
    Last edited by nwo; 2011-03-31 at 09:32 PM. Reason: 20, not 30%
    [23:43:22] [P] [85:Bowsjob]: If its between 2 holy pallys its gonna be a gear fight most likely

Thirded. If you're building it new, an i3-2100 will best the AMD system in many games. Looking at http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/102?vs=289, which is as close to an apples to apples comparison as I can find, the X4 is a match for the i3-2100 in most threaded applications, but World of Warcraft in particular and games in general seem to heavily favor the i3-2100 by as much as 20%.

EDIT: 30-50% is a bit much, that's like i5 levels. The i3-2100 is dual core + hyperthreading, but it is still faster even in many threaded apps.
    Last edited by Nellah; 2011-03-31 at 08:47 PM.
    Super casual.

10+ Year Old Account
    If he likes AMD and he's fine with waiting, just let him simmer until Bulldozer comes out. (Assuming it breaks AMD's trend with budget processors that aren't as good, but less expensive, than Intel.)
    You know, that brings up a good question. There's only two companies that make CPU's? So much for competition.

EDIT: 30-50% is a bit much, that's like i5 levels. The i3-2100 is dual core + hyperthreading, but it is still faster even in many threaded apps.
    Yeah, you're right, the difference is around 20% when you compare WoW and SC2 performance between the i3 2100 and 970BE:
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/4083/t...2100-tested/20

---------- Post added 2011-03-31 at 09:38 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzykins View Post
    You know, that brings up a good question. There's only two companies that make CPU's? So much for competition.
    Oligopoly ftw. It would be too hard to enter the desktop CPU market field at this point. You would have to start from scratch and do all the research from the bottom up, and then you can build a customer base. It would take a miracle discovery for a third CPU manufacturer to enter the market.
    [23:43:22] [P] [85:Bowsjob]: If its between 2 holy pallys its gonna be a gear fight most likely

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nwo View Post
    Oligopoly ftw. It would be too hard to enter the desktop CPU market field at this point. You would have to start from scratch and do all the research from the bottom up, and then you can build a customer base. It would take a miracle discovery for a third CPU manufacturer to enter the market.
    Don't forget the horrendous cost to license the x86 patents.

Didnt i read somewhere that nvidia was messing around with cpu's but starting on like cell phone cpu's

@fuzzykins: Ya was planning on seeing if Bulldozer is going to "wow" people.

but hey anyways, I'm a content guy, for instance, ive been playing WoW on a Wal-mart special for 4 years, all low settings at 45fps. personally, if i get 60 fps at medium settings, i will just be tickled to death. So being as content as i am, Shadows, ultra texturing, its all just extras that i dont need.

so im assuming with the 965 i will be able to run those settings?

Quote Originally Posted by georgevonfranken View Post
    Didnt i read somewhere that nvidia was messing around with cpu's but starting on like cell phone cpu's
    I think I heard something similar and as far as I know there is a handful of handheld mobile processor manufacturers but desktops are a whole different story... For now, hopefully... I'm all for a little extra competition.

---------- Post added 2011-03-31 at 10:15 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by ezek View Post
    so im assuming with the 965 i will be able to run those settings?
    Yeah, you most definitely will be able to.

I think I heard something similar and as far as I know there is a handful of handheld mobile processor manufacturers but desktops are a whole different story... For now, hopefully... I'm all for a little extra competition.
    Hmm i like the wording haha

10+ Year Old Account
    See nvidia tegra 2

Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz View Post
    Don't forget the horrendous cost to license the x86 patents.
    Nvidia is developing Ion platform with VIA (the third company besides AMD and Intel who has access to x86 patents), remains to be seen how viable competition it's going to be to Intel Atom and AMD Barzos.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.