Deleted

What would be the smartest thing to upgrade next?

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
    RAM: 4.0GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 376MHz (5-5-5-15)
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC. M2N-SLI DELUXE (Socket AM2 )
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480
    Hard drive: 244GB Hitachi HDT72252 5DLA380 SCSI Disk Device (ATA)

I don't really know much about hardware so go easy on me =)

You have a fast video card paired up with an ancient CPU that is a huge bottleneck in games. I would highly recommend that you get a new CPU/motherboard/RAM first.

What is your budget and are you located in the US or somewhere else?
    [23:43:22] [P] [85:Bowsjob]: If its between 2 holy pallys its gonna be a gear fight most likely

Quote Originally Posted by ALCH3MIST View Post
    CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
    RAM: 4.0GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 376MHz (5-5-5-15)
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC. M2N-SLI DELUXE (Socket AM2 )
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480
    Hard drive: 244GB Hitachi HDT72252 5DLA380 SCSI Disk Device (ATA)

I don't really know much about hardware so go easy on me =)
    The ram. DDR2 376MHz hurts mah face. And also your CPU is kinda weak, I would do Mobo>ram>CPU, might just be my OCD though, I always get mobos first and I hate DDR2.
    Last edited by Marrowwind; 2011-03-31 at 07:21 PM.

Five year old motherboard+cpu+ram is the obvious choice.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

The ram... Are you sure it's that low of MHz? The lowest I've seen are 666mhz.

I'd suggest 4gigx2 dual channel Corsair @ 800 + mhz, I believe they have up to 1888mhz ish now.

According to the Asus site, the highest CPU that motherboard can support is the Phenom IIX4 955 (HDX955WFK4DGM),3.2GHz,95W,rev.C3,SocketAM3,Quad-Core. I would get that, followed by a new set of 4GB DDR2, which will run around $50. Then replace the hard drive with a modern 1TB drive for about $80. You'll have a pretty solid gaming system for around $250.

Quote Originally Posted by senshu View Post
    According to the Asus site, the highest CPU that motherboard can support is the Phenom IIX4 955 (HDX955WFK4DGM),3.2GHz,95W,rev.C3,SocketAM3,Quad-Core. I would get that, followed by a new set of 4GB DDR2, which will run around $50. Then replace the hard drive with a modern 1TB drive for about $80. You'll have a pretty solid gaming system for around $250.
    Or buy i5-2500K, 4GB of DDR3 and suitable mobo for $400 and forget 2 years old CPU/5 years old RAM/mobo.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    Thanks for the quick reactions all =)

Quote Originally Posted by nwo View Post
    You have a fast video card paired up with an ancient CPU that is a huge bottleneck in games. I would highly recommend that you get a new CPU/motherboard/RAM first.

What is your budget and are you located in the US or somewhere else?
    My budget will be around 500 dollar next month, I live in The Netherlands.

Quote Originally Posted by Phearoids View Post
    The ram... Are you sure it's that low of MHz? The lowest I've seen are 666mhz.

I'd suggest 4gigx2 dual channel Corsair @ 800 + mhz, I believe they have up to 1888mhz ish now.
    Yeah, it really is that low.

So just based from all the replies It would be Motherboard > Memory/CPU?

Does someone have advice for the motherboard, I really suck with knowing what is compatible with what.

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Or buy i5-2500K, 4GB of DDR3 and suitable mobo for $400 and forget 2 years old CPU/5 years old RAM/mobo.
    This right here. Upgrading all three: motherboard, CPU and RAM will give the best performance boost.

http://komplett.nl/Komplett/product/...)/default.aspx
    http://komplett.nl/Komplett/product/...K/default.aspx
    http://komplett.nl/Komplett/product/...8/default.aspx

This comes to somewhere in the neighborhood of 450 Euros after taxes, maybe a little more.

Edit: Changed links to komplett.nl instead of newegg.com
    Last edited by Cantii; 2011-03-31 at 08:04 PM.

Deleted
    WOW is mainly ran from the CPU not the GPU, upgrade your CPU as it is bottlenecking your system

Deleted
    Thanks for all the replies I got enough info now to get on with it =)

Appreciate it.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Have to agree with people who are telling you to upgrade all three (mobo/cpu/ram). It seriously is not worth it to continue to try to upgrade with parts that will fit that system. Even if you have to wait two months or three to save up the money, it'll be worth it in the long run. AND...you might even get what you would have bought now for mo-betta cheaper.

Also, don't bother upgrading your harddrive. I just looked up its specs, and it can hit 3 Gbps. Unless you're dying for space, its fine. $80 saved. It is EXTREMELY unlikely that you could even attempt to hit a transfer speed that high. AFAIK, only solid state drives can do that.

I don't understand why so many people think that the RAM should be upgraded first. RAM speed/latency will hardly make a difference when it comes to gaming performance, you might gain 1 fps at most, but that would make it the worst investment ever.

I hope you can afford the i5 2500k/mobo and RAM. If not, then try to get the i3 2100.
    [23:43:22] [P] [85:Bowsjob]: If its between 2 holy pallys its gonna be a gear fight most likely

You have a fast video card paired up with an ancient CPU that is a huge bottleneck in games.
    THIS!

This build is rediculous! Your GTX480 is like a Ferrari, and your CPU/RAM like a Bobbycar

You should at least get something like a

Phenom II X4 955 Boxed (C3) @MSI 870-G45 (100€) or Core i3-540(100€)@Gigabyte GA-P55-USB3 Intel Core i5-2400 (150€)@ASRock P67 Pro3
    +
    4GB Kingston 1333MHz CL7 (40€)

If you have any desire to overclock, stick with the i5-2500K. If you're on a budget, go with what others have said and get an i3-2100, and at least 4GiB DDR3 RAM. Intel has AMD beat for gaming performance at all but the lowest of price levels right now.

However, if you want a really cheap upgrade, flash the BIOS on your motherboard to the latest version and drop a Phenom II in there. The board supports up to an X4, and you can upgrade the rest of your system around it, as the AMD Bulldozer motherboards (Socket AM3+) will support the Phenom II chips as well (anyone can feel free to correct me if this info is invalid.)
    Last edited by Nellah; 2011-03-31 at 08:59 PM.
    Super casual.

Quote Originally Posted by Nellah View Post
    If you have any desire to overclock, stick with the i5-2500K. If you're on a budget, go with what others have said and get an i3-2100, and at least 4GiB DDR3 RAM. Intel has AMD beat for gaming performance at all but the lowest of price levels right now.

However, if you want a really cheap upgrade, flash the BIOS on your motherboard to the latest version and drop a Phenom II in there. The board supports up to an X4, and you can upgrade the rest of your system around it, as the AMD Bulldozer motherboards (Socket AM3+) will support the Phenom II chips as well (anyone can feel free to correct me if this info is invalid.)
    It is true as far as i know, but with a budget of 500, i think i straight upgrade of all 3 is at hand, and as cantii posted, you can get a i5 2500K, P67 MoBo and 4GB RAM all for under the budget, this is the best bang for your buck upgrade you can male all up, not just on your budget, so it is well worth it.