10+ Year Old Account

New Holy Priest seeks advice

Hey all, so I've had this priest for awhile and decided to buy him some gear and get him started, here is my armory name - Healbotfu (US)

A few things,

First, I know practice makes perfect but every time I try a heroic I always end up failing, I don't want to say its always my fault either but I have yet to finish a heroic as a healer.
    Second, is there anything wrong with my spec? I don't like using cookie cutter specs and dont tell me to go copy someones here either, but if you have a valid point or suggestion to make I'd love to hear it.
    Third, I know I have quite a few dps pieces but those will be replaced soon, is this also what could be hurting me alot?

I just really want to get back into the swing of healing, I did it as disc back in WOTLK, which was easy mode, and now I'm a little discouraged that I cant keep people alive anymore.
    Any tips would be great thanks
    Total Honorable Kills - 46,552
    Total Killing blows - 43,116
    Total deaths - 3,164

Deleted
    His Amory page: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...botfu/advanced

BTW the stickies compilation really is worth reading!

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...ORE-POSTING%29

More specifically for you: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...-Beginners!%29

With regard to your spec, there's only 2 things that are glaringly wrong. You really should have 3/3 in divine fury and drop glyph of flash heal (which is terrible) for either Guardian Spirit or lightwell. I know you say you hate copying cookie cutter specs, but they are cookie cutter for a reason. :P

Gear wise I will concentrate on your gemming. You want to push for INT as much as possible, so fill those red slots with brilliants! And you will also want the INT+2% mana meta gem.

EDIT: WHOA reforging to crit. Stop that right away! You want haste and mastery as your secondary stats.
    Last edited by mmoc230b92349f; 2011-04-01 at 01:39 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Alright thanks for the tips, I get right on that, furthermore on the spec suggestions, was that it or anything else stick out?
    Total deaths - 3,164

As for your spec.... Blessed Resilience, Rapid Renewal and State of Mind are generally just a waste of points. Go for Tome of Light, 3/3 Divine Fury and Veiled Shadows (I find it much more useful than Mental Agility if you have to choose one or the other).

Glyphs- Replace Flash Heal with Lightwell (always always always use a Lightwell on boss fights). Dispel Magic is generally more useful than Inner Fire because of the extra mana efficiency when you do need to use it.

The current "raid cap" for haste is 12.5% raid buffed, or 7.5% if you run with a resto/ele shaman, shadow priest or moonkin. Anything after that can be reforged into spirit or mastery.
    Crit is your lowest rated stat, reforge all crit into haste, spirit or mastery.

As for gems- 54 intel and 2% max mana for meta. Intel/mastery for yellow, intel/spirit for blue, and straight intel for red. Socket bonuses are free stats, use them!

---------- Post added 2011-04-01 at 03:56 AM ----------

Also, restrain from using Flash Heal as much as possible. I find that this is the most common issue with priests that are just learning how to heal.

10+ Year Old Account
    First of all, if you'd have read our stickies you wouldn't have to make this topic. My Holy Guide doesn't even give specs, so there's no reason not to check it out and it's specifically targeted at people starting (heroic)dungeons. (/shamelessplug)
    Also, are there any specific troubles you're experiencing? Mana troubles? Not enough troughput?
    Quote Originally Posted by Franklinn View Post
    As for your spec.... Blessed Resilience, Rapid Renewal and State of Mind are generally just a waste of points. Go for Tome of Light, 3/3 Divine Fury and Veiled Shadows (I find it much more useful than Mental Agility if you have to choose one or the other).
    Yes on Rapid Renewal, that is useless, and even more so if you're not running raid content. Same with State of Mind. Blessed Resilience is good (and currently bugged, making it better), you take it for the same reason you take Test of Faith, it provides healing when you really want healing.
    Veiled Shadows is decent in Raids, but doesn't do what you want it to do in (heroic) Dungeons.
    The current "raid cap" for haste is 12.5% raid buffed, or 7.5% if you run with a resto/ele shaman, shadow priest or moonkin. Anything after that can be reforged into spirit or mastery.
    Stop talking about Haste caps... Haste is still very good after 12.5%.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

Deleted
    During normal heroic dungeons, fine. In raids however, Blessed Resiliance is FAR better than Tome of Light.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hey all, since someone already linked my Armory, I just wanted some of you to check it out and see if theres still anything you would change about my spec, etc. Thanks!
    Total deaths - 3,164

I would personally drop Spirit of Redemption (PvP talent imho) and Rapid Renewal (since we dont blanket anyway), spend those points into Test of Faith. On a later stage when you are more used to working with Chakra I would consider loosing State of Mind and spend the 2 free points into Desperate Prayer & Blessed Resilience.

Depending on gear and gear upgrades, keep swapping points between Darkness and Veiled Shadows so you are always just above 7,5% haste. And you are probably better off redoing most of the reforging on your gear. Reforging priority would be something like this:
    Spirit till comfortable regen lvl (2400 spirit) > Mastery > haste ( till 7.5%) > Crit > Haste ( above 7.5%)

Healing wise the guide on these forums is pretty decent, and personally I would advice you to stick in that Chakra Serenity for 5 mans, use the cheap nice heal. And pre-cast heal on tanks continously. Next to that if you are close to loosing your renew on a tank, you are better off using 'heal' to overheal him then to actually re-apply another renew.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gear
    You've reforged Crit into Haste and Haste into Crit, which is very weird. Then you're reforged Mastery into Crit which is a big mistake.
    To recap the stat priority for Holy: Intellect>Spirit until you're comfortable>Haste or Mastery>Mastery or Haste>Excess Spirit>Crit.
    I noticed you have a Discipline spec as well, so you probably use your gear for that as well. In that case pick Mastery as your main (in the Haste vs. Mastery area) stat. Reforge Crit to Mastery, maybe even Haste to Mastery.
    Gem consistent: Use the Artful gems instead of the Reckless.
    Now if you prefer Haste, switch the advice around.
    Spec
    Lose:
    - Rapid Renewal(1)
    - State of Mind(2)
    - Maybe Divine Touch(2)
    - Maybe Spirit of Redemption(1)
    Gain:
    - Test of Faith(2)
    -Blessed Resilience (2)
    - Desperate Prayer (1)
    Resurrected Holy Priest

Deleted
    The one thing I dont see here yet, ENCHANT... For goodness sake ENCHANT....

Anything ilvl 346 and up deserves an enchant,
    Head and Shoulders (get those reps up!!!)
    Off-hand too
    replace those idiotic pvp bracers already and get the new ones enchanted too
    Personally I like 15 stats > 40 spirit, 15 int, spi, haste, crit, mastery just cant beat that IMHO.

Put a tinker on your cloak
    Get about 89 more haste to be on 12.5% haste independantly, not huge but nice help on heroics for sure

Regardless though, bar infiniatly stupid dps in dungeons - which granted there sometimes are, had a feral dps the other night doing 4k on a good fight - you should relatively easy be able to heal a tank for a long long time and keep him up. I think this issue goes beyond gear or spec, it goes into play style and spell usage, you cannot use spam flash heal or some shit like that... and use your fiend early-ish, at about 60% mana... by the time the fiend is gone you will have used (most of) the last 10% and you will have the fiend back online just that bit sooner.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by namliam View Post
    Personally I like 15 stats > 40 spirit, 15 int, spi, haste, crit, mastery just cant beat that IMHO.
    You know 15 "All stats" Means only and exclusively primary stats right?
    So Stamina/Agility/Intellect/Spirit and Strength.

Anyway, Ynna gogo :P Nothing ill have to add to this thread longs that guy is here tbh

Edit: Couldn't leave it: 1337 posts, leet!

Waste of points is debatable and is highly dependent on the content your doing. For heroic 5 mans? Sure. For heroic raiding? hardly. The "best" priest in Paragon has blessed resilience (increases healing yourself), Rapid Renewal (allows for the random renew spams during certian phases). State of Mind, however, I agree isn't useful in any logical thinking way.

Crit is indeed your lowest stat while int is the highest. However if you just hit 85 and are looking to run heroic 5 mans (without a thought to raiding) your highest stat to start is spirit. People tend to forget that even doing things properly we all were mana strained when we first did heroic's this xpac. Grant it, they ahve made some things easier since, but if your having mana issues first look to spirit over all else, than slowly as you get more gear turn to int primary, than mastery, than spirit, than Haste. Haste isn't nearly as "important" as people make it out to be. There has to a reason that the top 6 raiding priests int he world all chill around 6 to 7% haste unbuffed. It just isn't a priority.

[/COLOR]Also, restrain from using Flash Heal as much as possible. I find that this is the most common issue with priests that are just learning how to heal.
    [/quote]

Agreed it is. As you get more gear (say, raid level gear) you can afford to use it more, but even than you have to learn how it has become a situational spell. Remember to remind the people there to use LIGHTWELL. I say this, because it can almost SOLO heal everyone but the tank. Remember that heal chakra combined with "heaL, the holy word ability, and renew" are enough to generally keep a single tank alive, and LW can take care of the raid. It's actually not as bad as it sounds, and no, HEAL ISN'T TOO SLOW OR TOO WEAK TO DO IT. We all went through it, and several of us still occasionally use heal in raids as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hey guys thanks for all the tips I just want to reply to a few things here,

As far as the reforging, I thought I read somehwere on this thread that all I needed to reforge was to get spirit to 2.4k, which I currently dont have but with enchants and my trinket im over that in combat, so I feel as if I am never really mana restricted unless my dps in heroic 5mans only does 6k, which has happened and I eventually go oom. So I'm thinking as long as I have good dps groups I should be fine, saying that, I feel like now I should start reforging anything that I haven't already reforged into spirit into haste>mastery>crit?

Just wanted to clarify, thanks all.
    Total deaths - 3,164

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Holo View Post
    You know 15 "All stats" Means only and exclusively primary stats right?
    So Stamina/Agility/Intellect/Spirit and Strength.
    OMG, here I am showing my fail !

Dunno why I thought it did secondaries, but yeah only those....
    So then 15int/15spi vs 40 spi

Still think stats > spirit?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by namliam View Post
    OMG, here I am showing my fail !

Dunno why I thought it did secondaries, but yeah only those....
    So then 15int/15spi vs 40 spi

Still think stats > spirit?
    15stats vs 40spi is really a gear dependant thing. But its not going to make or break a boss. Not even those 30k hp wipes.
    20stats > 40spi though, as its simply better in a way i should not have to explain.

---------- Post added 2011-04-04 at 02:38 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Aroll View Post
    Waste of points is debatable and is highly dependent on the content your doing. For heroic 5 mans? Sure. For heroic raiding? hardly. The "best" priest in Paragon has blessed resilience (increases healing yourself), Rapid Renewal (allows for the random renew spams during certian phases). State of Mind, however, I agree isn't useful in any logical thinking way.
    Rapid Renewal can be good for 25man raiding, it has 0 use in 10man though. Skip it if no 25man.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I would personally drop Spirit of Redemption
    I cant disagree more, i've been insituations where you are OOM and you are wiping on a last few % of a raid boss. A suicide and free flash heals , prayer of healings are able to keep your group alive for a few more needed seconds. Helped my guild alot!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dezi View Post
    I cant disagree more, i've been insituations where you are OOM and you are wiping on a last few % of a raid boss. A suicide and free flash heals , prayer of healings are able to keep your group alive for a few more needed seconds. Helped my guild alot!
    SoD vs 3% more healing to healing when they need it the whole fight long. You should never reach a point of being oom where you can't heal anymore. If you do, you are doing it wrong.