Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    For gaming the 2500k beats the 2600k by a small amount for gaming.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrowwind View Post
    Get a GTX 590. Its SLI in one card, and the same price as a 6990
    So is the 6990 they are both dual GPU cards i'm pretty sure that they are the flagships of each company atm

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nockol View Post
    So is the 6990 they are both dual GPU cards i'm pretty sure that they are the flagships of each company atm
    I think the 590 wins in perforamce. Can't recall. http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/gra...0-3gb-review/1

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chris1554 View Post
    I think the 590 wins in perforamce. Can't recall.
    I remember seeing a thread saying that the 6990 was slightly better and cheaper but at the cost of being slightly louder but things may have changed. As i saw people saying something about the 590's drivers

10+ Year Old Account
    I remember seeing a thread saying that the 6990 was slightly better and cheaper but at the cost of being slightly louder but things may have changed. As i saw people saying something about the 590's drivers
    Could well be but can't say i've heard it. I do really trust bit-tech reviews though on hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by Marrowwind View Post
    The 6990 has better benchmarks.

I was disappointed at the 6990's review at Tom's Hardware. The noise was a major factor, and IIRC, there was even video of it in the more positive review for the 590. The 6990 is the loudest card, ever. It also dumps half of it's exhaust into your case, causing major heating issues.

The 590 has less heating issues, and is significantly quieter, but the GPUs were dialed down more to achieve that balance than is the 6990. There also seems to have been times when having only 3 GBs of memory acted as a chokepoint.

So, with the 6990s, you're going to want the best damn cooling set up you can fit inside the case, and take extra steps at noise reduction.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Thought I'd chime in with some thoughts.

On sandybridge due to mobo pci-e bandwidth issues, running Tri-SLI or CF is not recommended, and for what you're going to run I don't think dual 6990's is what you should go for.
    ~ 6990's are downclocked 6970's that are sandwiched onto one board. This leads to heat issues which turns into sound issues, although I do see you're planning on liquid cooling the cards down the road. They also have very limited overclocking potential due to the noted reasons. IMO if you're going to be pushing 2560x1600 Monitors I would go dual 6970's for the higher V-Ram, and for 1900x1200 set ups, dual 580's would be preferable.

For the motherboard, I've heard great things about http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...p8p67%20deluxe (Asus P8P67 Deluxe, although it's currently out of stock)

Concerning SSD's, for long term performance and speed Intel's SSD's are the way to go, although they are somewhat more expensive.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-032-_-Product
    is the one that I would go for if I had the money, and intel also just released the 320 Series, although I can't find them on Newegg, which are generation 3 SSD's from them. They're slightly faster, slightly larger, and slightly cheaper than the aforementioned x25 model.

HDD~ Stay away from the 600GB raptors. For their price point, they're really terrible and a huge waste of money. Depending on the application, the WD 1 TB caviar black has performed better.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-284-_-Product

Bloodsail Admiral dicertification's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeka View Post
    I was disappointed at the 6990's review at Tom's Hardware. The noise was a major factor, and IIRC, there was even video of it in the more positive review for the 590. The 6990 is the loudest card, ever. It also dumps half of it's exhaust into your case, causing major heating issues.

The 590 has less heating issues, and is significantly quieter, but the GPUs were dialed down more to achieve that balance than is the 6990. There also seems to have been times when having only 3 GBs of memory acted as a chokepoint.

So, with the 6990s, you're going to want the best damn cooling set up you can fit inside the case, and take extra steps at noise reduction.
    Actually the 590 will dump more heat into the case. The 6990 has one full slot of exhaust in the back where the 590 is half slot.

Edit: the 6990 beats the 590 hands down when running at ultra high res (3 monitors) with AA
    Last edited by dicertification; 2011-04-01 at 05:58 AM.