Perpetual range... trainer... thingy?

Ok, I don't know what to call this, but I'll do my best to describe it.

You know that big green circle you get on your cursor when you use a targeted AE spell like Rain of fire? Of course you do. Is that manipulable at all? If, for example, I wanted to make an addon that created that circle directly at my character's position at any range I decide to set it at just so I can give myself a visual of the range, is that possible?

Like, let's say you're trying to train yourself to instinctively stay out of melee range of a warrior, but inside of charge range. I want to create a circle around my character with an 8 yard radius that just follows me around until 8 yards is second nature to me. Is that theoretically possible?

I don't think so. There used to be a raid-helper addon that would "draw" on the gameworld, but Blizzard disabled that functionality. I might be wrong, but I'm fairly sure that's been impossible since then.
    "Humans need fantasy to be human, to be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape." - Terry Pratchett

Only addon that I can think of that would do something like this has been banned by Blizzard. Not that I can remember it's name anymore. A range finder maybe, but drawing on the 3D world has been basically banned entirely.

Yeah, i knew about that banned one. I was hoping that since the circle thingy is already in the game that it might be a loophole.

There are some range checking addons out there but they're limited. They'll list an approximate to target, mouseover, focus, pet, whatever, but I want to see a visual. Guess I'll take what I can get.

There are addons that will display a number to tell you how far away you are. RangeDisplay is one, I believe, if that helps. Pretty sure that's the best you can get at the moment.
    "Humans need fantasy to be human, to be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape." - Terry Pratchett

Quote Originally Posted by eldritchknight View Post
    There are addons that will display a number to tell you how far away you are. RangeDisplay is one, I believe, if that helps. Pretty sure that's the best you can get at the moment.
    Using it ATM, and it'll do, really. I just thought this might be better. Thanks though

All you can get now is flat circular display centred around a point, like on your minimap or similar showing a certain range.
    The display on the ground is no longer possible due to the removal of being able to read the camera pitch which came about due to that addon you mentioned, AVRE.