Page 1 of 2
LastLast

FF VIII ideal party, if there is one.

in final fantasy 8, is there an ideal party make up or is it just character preference and proper junction?

Quote Originally Posted by Silentsnipe1212 View Post
    in final fantasy 8, is there an ideal party make up or is it just character preference and proper junction?
    Use your GFs and Limit Breaks, pick the characters you want. I'm sure theres an 'ideal' party but the difference is probably negligible. Since there is a damage cap of 9999, you generally want characters that have Limit Breaks that hit multiple times. I haven't played FF8 in a long time but IIRC thats Squall + Zell + Quistis + another? I think you'll want Quistis for her blue magics.

Quote Originally Posted by abovebeyond View Post
    Use your GFs and Limit Breaks, pick the characters you want. I'm sure theres an 'ideal' party but the difference is probably negligible. Since there is a damage cap of 9999, you generally want characters that have Limit Breaks that hit multiple times. I haven't played FF8 in a long time but IIRC thats Squall + Zell + Quistis + another? I think you'll want Quistis for her blue magics.
    +Irvine. His Limit Break is honestly one of the better ones near the end game. And hell, it's frankly fun getting to shoot things.

Zell, Squall and Rinoa are the ideal party, especially if you can junction them correctly. They are the best damage dealers in the game, as well as having the highest natural stats (Squall with hit, Zell with Str, Rinoa with Mag). In turn, this means that whenever you attack or use magic with these characters, they will be appropriately stronger than the attacks or magics used by any other party member.

That said, Rinoa being in your party at all times is absolutely essential to seeing everything that FFVIII has to offer in terms of story. I've also found that selecting to have Irvine or Selphie makes for the best commentary during the in game scenes.

Deleted
    Selphie is realy powerfull if you glitch her limit break. She can kill everything in the game exept the last boss inc. omega weapon with The End.
    When the roulete comes open the ps disc and you have unlimited time to redo the limit break roulette thing

15+ Year Old Account
    The party in FF8 could only have 3 people, so Squall+Zell+Rinoa, for the reasons mentioned above.

Hell, just look at how good Zell and Squall's limit breaks are, then look at Irvine.
    BfA Beta Time

wrong, It's Zell>Squall>Irvine in that order.

Zell with his "armageddon fist" that can hit for 724,000 damage if you do it right. Squall with Lion-heart that can hit for 254,000 damage if you get lucky and then Irvine with fast shot that can hit for about 174,000 damage if you do it right.

Zell's armageddon fist is just, Booya and Punch Rush every .1 seconds for damage cap, Squall is 8 hits from Renzokuken and then Lion heart and Irvine is Fast Shot really really fast....

The only reason you might take rinoa is because she has good magic, but that doesn't mean anything when you've junctioned Drain to all your physical characters attack, and use meltdown on hard to kill enemies every fight.

Also, rinoa is only good because of her limit break which increases all her magic damage by X5 damage, But she still can't break the damage limit, and you don't have control of the spells she casts. So thats why Irvine with meltdown and fast shot is the superior choice

So the ideal party is, Zell, Squall and Irvine.
    Last edited by Borigrad; 2011-04-01 at 08:25 PM.
    I'm glad to have multiple personalities, if i didn't i would be talking to myself, and that's just insane.

Also, don't level up.

squall quistis irvine

quistis' Triple spell and have fun with never ending limit breaks that can easily surpass the 9999 max.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Borigrad View Post

Zell with his "armageddon fist" that can hit for 724,000 damage if you do it right. Squall with Lion-heart that can hit for 254,000 damage if you get lucky and then Irvine with fast shot that can hit for about 174,000 damage if you do it right.

Zell's armageddon fist is just, Booya and Punch Rush every .1 seconds for damage cap, Squall is 8 hits from Renzokuken and then Lion heart and Irvine is Fast Shot really really fast....

The only reason you might take rinoa is because she has good magic, but that doesn't mean anything when you've junctioned Drain to all your physical characters attack, and use meltdown on hard to kill enemies every fight.

Also, rinoa is only good because of her limit break which increases all her magic damage by X5 damage, But she still can't break the damage limit, and you don't have control of the spells she casts. So thats why Irvine with meltdown and fast shot is the superior choice

I'm not saying they were the STRONGEST characters in terms of damage...Irvine is just a pussy bitch who is an apparent sniper who can't even shoot an evil bitch in the face even though he's all like, "Yo dawg, I be mad pimpin with my drank".
    BfA Beta Time

Quote Originally Posted by Swizzle View Post
    I'm not saying they were the STRONGEST characters in terms of damage...Irvine is just a pussy bitch who is an apparent sniper who can't even shoot an evil bitch in the face even though he's all like, "Yo dawg, I be mad pimpin with my drank".
    ummm.... i... uhhhh... agree?
    I'm glad to have multiple personalities, if i didn't i would be talking to myself, and that's just insane.

Deleted
    Zell squall irvine is the optimal party damage-wise if you get them all strength 255 and best weapons and know how to use their limit breaks. Don't use GFs at all, only aura + limit breaks. GFs are mostly capped at 9999 damage (excepts eden) where your character's limit break does 70000 - 200000 depending on how lucky you are / how well you can use the ability.

And someone mentioned rinoa being on the ideal setup, I don't really see the benefits of that other than getting holy war status on your allies, which I consider practically cheating since it's complete invulnerability. Also you can get like 100 (or infinite amount) of those holy war items that give you the same benefit so in fact she's rather useless if you know where to get it.

---------- Post added 2011-04-01 at 09:18 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Borigrad View Post

I agree but fast shot mostly loses to (fuel shot) I think due to low damage and you get to shoot fuel shot many many times anyway, also after a certain point you shoot all your fast shots in one limit break so it's not really ideal.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Howdyho View Post
    Zell squall irvine is the optimal party damage-wise if you get them all strength 255 and best weapons and know how to use their limit breaks. Don't use GFs at all, only aura + limit breaks. GFs are mostly capped at 9999 damage (excepts eden) where your character's limit break does 70000 - 200000 depending on how lucky you are / how well you can use the ability.

And someone mentioned rinoa being on the ideal setup, I don't really see the benefits of that other than getting holy war status on your allies, which I consider practically cheating since it's complete invulnerability. Also you can get like 100 (or infinite amount) of those holy war items that give you the same benefit so in fact she's rather useless if you know where to get it.
    Yeah...but she's hot...

I think the Holy Wars were from Card Moding Siefer's card or something. I know I abused it to beat up on Omega Weapon.
    BfA Beta Time

o btw one more question. when do i press R1 for zell's attack i cant ever time it correctly

To lvl extremely fast look for an island called "island closest to hell" u get 900 xp approx for every battle. On the occasion u will fight malboro's which are pretty tough if they get u with there magic ability, so make sure u have someone in ur party with initiative and preferably 100 Deaths junctioned into their attack. I havent played for a while but an ideal team is Squall, Zell and Selphie. And if u managed to collect all the gaming cards u can refine those into really special items which i believe are compulsory to beating Ultimecia.

15+ Year Old Account
    o btw one more question. when do i press R1 for zell's attack i cant ever time it correctly
    You mean Squall's Gunblade attack? Make sure you can hear the game while you're playing, and when you hear the choke of his attack, that's when you hit R1.
    BfA Beta Time

so is it only squall u can hit R1 and do extra damage? if so then i feel stupid :P and i meant zell + everyone else. squall's is easy to time

so is it only squall u can hit R1 and do extra damage? if so then i feel stupid :P and i meant zell + everyone else. squall's is easy to time
    no squall is the only one who can crit by pressing R1 on his attack

Deleted
    Yeah, only Squall. Since he has the only weapon with two damage sources (blade and the gun) The reason you do more damage when you press R1, is because you shoot with the gun at the same time as you strike.

Quote Originally Posted by Greendog View Post
    To lvl extremely fast look for an island called "island closest to hell" u get 900 xp approx for every battle.
    no. bad. don't level up.