Putting together my first build, help needed

So I started putting together my new SB build. Starting with assembling outside the case to make sure everything work properly. I've got my 2500K mounted on the MSI P67A-G45 mobo, ram seated (in second channel, first was blocked by the CPU cooler), and 24 and 8 pin power plugged in. When i turned it on i was at first getting two quiet beeps (apparently a successful POST for this board), and then a high pitched short beep followed by 5 louder ones. Couldn't find anything about the code online, so i tried installing my 5870 to see if I'm getting visual output. The first time I tried this i got no beeps; nothing. Tried again and got jsut two beeps, which is apparently normal for a good POST on this board, but then i was getting no screen output. My keyboard lights even lit up, I just couldn't see anything. Afterwards trying again I once again got no beeps. Any idea what might be going badly? I'm using the included (with the GPU) mini-DP to DVI adapter, and then connected to my monitor's DVI port.

EDIT:
    Found something about the codes, but i'm not sure if it's for this board specifically.
    POST BIOS beep codes

* 1 - Memory refresh timer error
    * 2 - Parity error in base memory (first 64 KiB block)
    * 3 - Base memory read/write test error
    * 4 - Mother board timer not operational (check all PSU to MB connectors seated)
    * 5 - Processor failure
    * 6 - 8042 Gate A20 test error (cannot switch to protected mode)
    * 7 - General exception error (processor exception interrupt error)
    * 8 - Display memory error (system video adapter)
    * 9 - AMI BIOS ROM checksum error
    * 10 - CMOS shutdown register read/write error
    * 11 - Cache memory test failed
    * 12 - Mother board does not detect a RAM module (continuous beeping)
    Last edited by Bitmap; 2011-04-01 at 10:21 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The 2500k has integrated graphics, meaning you don't need a GPU. Leave your GPU out and boot it up and see if it posts. If not, switch your RAM to the other DIMM slot and drop off the CPU cooler in favor of the stock one to see if it posts then.

Edit: Actually I'm not sure the P67 can take advantage of onboard graphics... F**K it, try it anyway.

Quote from the manual:

To ensure a successful system boot-up, always insert the memory modules into the DIMM1 first
    This might be your problem.
    Find a smaller cooler and try that, hopefully it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzykins View Post
    Edit: Actually I'm not sure the P67 can take advantage of onboard graphics... F**K it, try it anyway.
    P67 cannot take advantage of the graphics.

Is the motherboard on anything that can short it out? There are risers in cases for a reason.
    Is the processor lined up/seated properly (pin1 to pin 1)?
    What RAM are you using? Yes, this always seems to matter with MSI boards in my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzykins View Post
    It's z68 who can use both onboard-video and overclocking. h67, video-only. p67, overclocking only.

The mother board is seated on it's box, which shouldn't be shorting it. I'm using g-Skill ripjaws, 1.5V 1333MHZ cas 7, though i doubt it's running at that, circumstances in mind. I had since moved the ram to the DIMM1 slot, same problems persist. I'm not sure how to check if the CPU is seated properly, would the only way be to re-seat it? I really can't think of any way that it would be seated incorrectly, there were little indents on both sides which slotted into peg-things in the socket; so there was only one way to have it go in. I also did not apply any force when seating it.
    The retention arm was rather difficult to push back into place after putting the CPU in, this could be just another one of those "more force than anticipated" things, as I've never done it before. It wasn't nearly enough force to cause alarm, but maybe the issue is there?
    Last edited by Bitmap; 2011-04-01 at 11:14 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitmap View Post
    The mother board is seated on it's box, which shouldn't be shorting it. I'm using g-Skill ripjaws, 1.5V 1333MHZ cas 7, though i doubt it's running at that, circumstances in mind. I had since moved the ram to the DIMM1 slot, same problems persist. I'm not sure how to check if the CPU is seated properly, would the only way be to re-seat it? I really can't think of any way that it would be seated incorrectly, there were little indents on both sides which slotted into peg-things in the socket; so there was only one way to have it go in. I also did not apply any force when seating it.
    You applied force when you put the clamp down, whether you know it or not. Unattach your Hard Drive, see if it posts. Reseat your CPU, see if it posts.

No hard drive has been attached at any point. I just reseated the CPU, but after trying after that, turning on the PSU and starting the board, the LED and fans start for a few seconds, then fade off and the PSU fan stops, then immediately starts again. This looks very bad...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitmap View Post
    No hard drive has been attached at any point. I just reseated the CPU, but after trying after that, turning on the PSU and starting the board, the LED and fans start for a few seconds, then fade off and the PSU fan stops, then immediately starts again. This looks very bad...
    Do you have any case fans hooked up to the PSU? If so, take those out.
    So far we've eliminated your GPU, HDD, and RAM (For the most part.)
    I don't think it's your PSU either if your fan is starting. A faulty PSU can cause ALL of the listed issues, but it could be other things as well.

Nothing was ever to the PSU other than the 24 and 8 pin connectors. At this point i'm thinking it's either a faulty CPU or mobo, but I not experienced enough to tell which. I'm guessing having some sort of post beeps means that neither is completely dead, though that last issue seems to be some sort of short. I'm probably going to have someone more savvy come look at it some time this weekend.

After doing some thinking, I've got a new idea. Taking into account a lack of any beeps when i put in the video card, and most recently the "power cycling" it's doing now (for lack of a better term, turning on and off continuously) I think it might be the power supply. That said, I've never heard of a power supply from a reputable manufacturer (Antec TP650) being faulty on arrival, and i can't even think of anything that could possibly have been done to break it. Is this a possible reason for the problems I've been having?

same problem

please update if you have resolved the issue!!! ahhhh