Thread: OcZ Revo Drive.

10+ Year Old Account

OcZ Revo Drive.

Hello all.

So an old friend picked up this drive.
    http://www.ocztechnology.com/ocz-rev...press-ssd.html

The 240gig model for about $700 Canadian.

The only con really is it does not support "Trim".

And The speed it runs a program is insane, add all your games to the startup menu and they will be on after you log in.

Any opinions out there on mmo champ?

10+ Year Old Account
    It has Garbage Collection, which is essentially OCZ's way around TRIM otherwise it is fast but... I would wait for the OCZ Vertex 3's or more Sandforce-2200 based SSD's.
    Intel Core i7 5820K @ 4.2GHz | Asus X99 Deluxe Motherboard | 16GB Crucial DDR4 2133 | MSI GTX 980 4G GAMING | Corsair HX750 Gold | 500GB Samsung 840 EVO

10+ Year Old Account
    Isn't data transfer over a 6GB/S Serial ATA connection faster than the ones on the PCI-E slots? (I could be completely wrong here, I'd just swear I read somewhere that that's the reason we don't use PCI-E for mainstream SSDs, as opposed to SATA.)
    Also, did it say 500Mb/s read time? The current OCzs are getting like 250...

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzykins View Post
    Isn't data transfer over a 6GB/S Serial ATA connection faster than the ones on the PCI-E slots?
    6Gbit = 0,75 GB.
    And you won't find ANY drive that caps SATA 6Gbit/sec out. :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisgoat View Post
    6Gbit = 0,75 GB.
    And you won't find ANY drive that caps SATA 6Gbit/sec out. :P
    Naturally, what's the data transfer rate over the PCI-E?

Isn't data transfer over a 6GB/S Serial ATA connection faster than the ones on the PCI-E slots? (I could be completely wrong here, I'd just swear I read somewhere that that's the reason we don't use PCI-E for mainstream SSDs, as opposed to SATA.)
    PCIe 2.0 speed is 4GB for each lane, so a PCIe x4 card like RevoDrive can transfer 16GB/s maximum, way past SATA3. Those aren't used yet because it requires specially designed controller board for it, kinda like the RevoDrive is, and nobody else has bothered to make one.

Also, did it say 500Mb/s read time? The current OCzs are getting like 250...
    RevoDrive is internally two Sandforce based 120GB SSDs set up as RAID0 and installed on a PCIe card to not get bottlenecked by SATA2/3 connectors.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    PCIe 2.0 speed is 4GB for each lane, so a PCIe x4 card like RevoDrive can transfer 16GB/s maximum, way past SATA3. Those aren't used yet because it requires specially designed controller board for it, kinda like the RevoDrive is, and nobody else has bothered to make one.

RevoDrive is internally two Sandforce based 120GB SSDs set up as RAID0 and installed on a PCIe card to not get bottlenecked by SATA2/3 connectors.
    Oh, I probably coulda' figured that out if I was smart enough to read that page in depth. I want one...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post

4Gb* Not GB.

Per lane (each direction):

v1.x: 250 MB/s (2 Gb/s)
    v2.x: 500 MB/s (4 Gb/s)
    v3.0: 1 GB/s (8 Gb/s)

16 lane slot (each direction):

v1.x: 4 GB/s (32 Gb/s)
    v2.x: 8 GB/s (64 Gb/s)
    v3.0: 16 GB/s (128 Gb/s)
    Intel Core i7 5820K @ 4.2GHz | Asus X99 Deluxe Motherboard | 16GB Crucial DDR4 2133 | MSI GTX 980 4G GAMING | Corsair HX750 Gold | 500GB Samsung 840 EVO