Deleted

My screen goes black

Hello!

I am currently having a problem with my screen, it goes black randomly, like if it wouldn't have any power, what do you think is wrong?

Love would some answers and suggestions on what to do :>
    Last edited by mmocc5b6c284d6; 2011-04-02 at 08:00 PM.

When does this happen? Completely randomly (i.e. when you're doing anything, even just idling at the desktop), or just during game play? Does it come back up, or do you have to restart the computer? If it goes black in a video game, and you have to restart, it sounds like your graphics card overheating. Try downloading MSI Afterburner and monitoring the GPU temperatures. It could also be video drivers if those aren't up to date.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Adappy View Post
    When does this happen? Completely randomly (i.e. when you're doing anything, even just idling at the desktop), or just during game play? Does it come back up, or do you have to restart the computer? If it goes black in a video game, and you have to restart, it sounds like your graphics card overheating. Try downloading MSI Afterburner and monitoring the GPU temperatures. It could also be video drivers if those aren't up to date.
    It happens any time, completly randomly, and I have to restart the computer everytime

The Lightbringer eternalwhitemoon's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Does your monitor have an amber power light when this happens, or does that shut off as well?

If no light at all, then the monitor may be to blame; if the power light for the monitor is on and amber (or red), it's something else. For me, I had this problem, and it would only happen in WoW, so I turned my settings down to barebones minimum and continued to raid, which was a temporary workaround to the problem. This also proved to me that it was in fact my video card, so I got a new one (I'd kind of fragged the original card anyway so I expected this) and didn't have the problem since.

Does the sound also hang in a loop or make weird noises from speakers? Is the monitor still on when screen goes black (power led on)? Are there any other graphics problems just before the hang, or when you're playing games? Strange lines, triangles, spots or colors that shouldn't be there?
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    The monitor still has power, but yeh, its only black

Does the sound also hang in a loop or make weird noises from speakers? Is the monitor still on when screen goes black (power led on)? Are there any other graphics problems just before the hang, or when you're playing games? Strange lines, triangles, spots or colors that shouldn't be there
    Yes I have problems with my sound, it goes like brzzz brzzz often, and when I hear it I have to restart my computer within short time or else my computer will freeze and I have to restart it anyway ( Had this problem for 1 year and 3 months now ) So I allways start my computer, and then restart it direcly to fix this
    Last edited by mmocc5b6c284d6; 2011-04-02 at 08:44 PM.

I had the same thing happen to me with my monitor.

Would just black screen and the green power light would turn an amber color.I could still hear everything going on in the game I was playing and the game was not locked up just the monitor acted like it lost the signal from the video card.

Turns out in my case the card was on its way out and once I replaced it I had no problems afterwards.

So you may want to check to make sure your card is not on the verge of failing.

Edit: Could also be a power supply issue causing the card to stop sending to the monitor.Lack of power from a failing power supply could do this as well.
    Last edited by Leodegrance; 2011-04-02 at 08:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaniia View Post
    Yes I have problems with my sound, it goes like brzzz brzzz often, and when I hear it I have to restart my computer within short time or else my computer will freeze and I have to restart it anyway
    Smells like hardware problem with either motherboard or graphics card. Check the temperatures while playing games, and if possible especially when the computer starts making strange noises from speakers. Instructions are in the stickies.

Pulling numbers out of my hat, 70% sure your graphics card is overheating which is causing the crashes, 20% graphics card is dying, 10% something else. You can try to clean dust and shit from your PC's fans and heatsinks on the inside, especially if there are hairy pets or smokers nearby.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Get http://www.evga.com/precision/

I had this problem with my 9800GT, the first time the monitor shut down I knew it was my graphics card (Because a fan running at 100% is loud) and I got the precision tool to check my temperature out and it was at 100C. I took the case off of my 9800gt and there was a huge block of dust between the heatsink and fan, it got rid of it and my temp dropped down to 80C max, which is still high, but not deadly.

Heat is bad for a card, chances are if you've gotten multiple monitor shut downs that it's already damaged and cleaning it (if that's the problem) will only give temporary relief. You should clean it now and look into upgrading.

Deleted
    Thank you all!

I bought a http://www.sweclockers.com/nyhet/126...eforce-gts-450 today and hopefully it will fix the black screen, and maybe the sound

Edit: And also, the guy who bought my computer said I needed to change my graphic card like within 6 months, and its been 1y 3m now